NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default photo help

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I had a good flea market day yesterday as I picked up a few sports and nonsports items for pretty good deals (at least in my opinion). One of the pieces I found is this press photo (or wire photo, I never know the difference) of a baseball play at the plate. I know this is a long shot, but can anyone provide any details of the photo (e.g. level of play, era, etc.)? My guess was a high school game in the 1930s-1940s, but if someone knows the field, teams, etc, that would be greatly appreciated.
Related to this question, I was wondering if folks here would mind a photo identification thread (you can use this one if desired) where we could post our baseball photos and see if any one can provide additional information. Beyond this photo (which I know is nothing special) I also picked up another smaller photo and a late 1800s photo with equipment that I will try to share over the next few days. This is just a thought to increase traffic on this side of the board.
Please see scans of the photo below (back and front). Thanks in advance for any information.
Alan Elefson

Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Default photo help

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Probably a college team in the Newark, NJ area.

I have tons of photos that need player identification that shouldn't be too hard, but I just haven't had the time to research all of them. Here's a few.

George Pipgras is at left in this photo - who are the other two guys?

How about this old Philadelphia Athletic player? Some clues are the uniform is circa 1913 and he's a pitcher (toe plate on the shoe).

Who are these guys?

How about this guy?

I literally have hundreds of photos that need identification......

Old 07-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default photo help

Posted By: Mike

This a news photo, not a wire photo. The difference between the two is very simple, and have been posted in recent threads.

Edited to say, this refers to the initial photo.

The subsequent photos all appear to be news photos also, not wires.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default photo help

Here is another one I found yesterday. I know nothing about it (most likely it is an amateur player) but figured it is worth a shot posting it. I hope this thread will lead to at least one identification!
Alan

Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Default photo help

Posted By: Mike

The two Sox players, I have seen many times. When I get back later today, I will try and help you out here. I know I have seen them before.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Default photo help

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Alan, that last photo you posted will probably never been ID'd without provenance...it's most likely a company team playing in the Western united states. You can rule out professional because it's not likely a professional team would be playing ball without a ballpark..probably not a college or town team for the same reason. You might see military teams playing in that type of setting, but the uniform doesn't look military to me. Could also be a Civilian Conservation Corps team - looks like it could be 1930s and the setting is right.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default photo help

Posted By: davidcycleback

The top one could be a high school game, as the local newspaper covered all local sports. I have some Chicago Tribune photos of high school football games. Though the newspapers would also cover local college games (The Tribune liked Notre Dame, Northwester and Illinois).

Old 07-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default photo help

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Seton Hall?
Rutgers? Newark campus est. in '46 (formerly known as the University of Newark est. 1935)

Here's my 19th century Seton Hall contribution

Old 07-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default photo help

Thank you very much for everyone's responses so far! Dan, your pictures are incredible! I wish I could help more with ids but hopefully someone can chime in. I appreciate that the single photo I posted will most likely never be identified, but I always figure it is worth a shot. The last photo posted in this thread also looks incredible. I might create a seperate thread for 19th century baseball photos (usually ids will not be possible, but ideas on years, etc would be most helpful) as I picked up one cheaply this weekend.
Thanks again,
Alan Elefson