NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Ok, here it is, one final time. My intentions were sincere. I wanted to be a collector. A "flipper" is a person who buys a card with the intentions of selling that card at a PROFIT. Please go back and read my "Mission Accomplished" thread. I very candidly display the prices I paid for these cards. Now go to my "BST" ad. Notice anything? Really? You mean my asking prices are about IDENTICAL to my purchase prices? No way!!! So im not trying to make a quick buck? The thread starter owes me an apology. While I do see his point, it does not apply in this situation at all. I have simply become disenchanted with both the CU forum as well as this one. Because my wife doesnt want to talk about cards, I soon will have no outlet....hence my leaving the hobby. If this makes me "Bipolar", or a "Drama Queen", then oh well. When you cut through all the BS, im simply a guy who gave it a real go, and now has decided to make some VERY pretty cards available to other collectors at the exact same prices that I have paid for those cards.

Phil
Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
Ok, here it is, one final time. My intentions were sincere. I wanted to be a collector. A "flipper" is a person who buys a card with the intentions of selling that card at a PROFIT. Please go back and read my "Mission Accomplished" thread. I very candidly display the prices I paid for these cards. Now go to my "BST" ad. Notice anything? Really? You mean my asking prices are about IDENTICAL to my purchase prices? No way!!! So im not trying to make a quick buck? The thread starter owes me an apology. While I do see his point, it does not apply in this situation at all. I have simply become disenchanted with both the CU forum as well as this one. Because my wife doesnt want to talk about cards, I soon will have no outlet....hence my leaving the hobby. If this makes me "Bipolar", or a "Drama Queen", then oh well. When you cut through all the BS, im simply a guy who gave it a real go, and now has decided to make some VERY pretty cards available to other collectors at the exact same prices that I have paid for those cards.

Phil
If you're so disenchanted and really are "leaving" the hobby, then why the constant drama and posts? If you've made the choice, sell the cards and go already. Then you'll be at peace on your boat, right? Doesn't seem that tough to figure out.

Goodbye and good luck.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:20 AM

See why im leaving? Im "attacked" by the TS as being a flipper. I clearly show why that is an inaccurate description by using facts and logic. Yet another member piles on immediately following my reply. This is why its no longer fun.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
See why im leaving? Im "attacked" by the TS as being a flipper. I clearly show why that is an inaccurate description by using facts and logic. Yet another member piles on immediately following my reply. This is why its no longer fun.
Goodbye and good luck.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
This is why its no longer fun.

And yet... you are still logged on to the site, just waiting to respond yet again.

The original poster WASN'T talking about just you. He clearly stated: "We seem to have a small spate of people..."

In a follow up post, he referred to the T206 Plank card. That also wasn't you.

It really doesn't matter whether you stay or go. It doesn't matter whether you continue to collect or not.

In any case, you do seem to like to talk about it.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Ha -- no. Just think its amazing we have a "Mission Accomplished" thread running at the same time as that mission is for sale. And this is not the only example....

You're right...no way he was talking about ME. BTW, im logged in this site still because I have a few thousand dollars worth of cards for sale on this site.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Paul

I'm sorry, but I will not be apologizing for starting this thread (irony intended). Your conduct is extremely suspect, even if your intentions are pure and even if you do not profit from your contemporaneous "mission accomplished" and "for sale" threads.

Congratulations! You bought 15 T206 cards over a 3 month period and somehow managed to turn that modest accomplishment into controversy and cynicism on multiple threads on 2 internet chatboards. That is, of course, no one's fault but your own.

I am sure we can all agree that you should leave at least the internet community side of our hobby for now. But feel free to come back when you have something worthwhile to share or contribute. If you really have such thin skin, keep your posts simple, never share personal data, and keep your shared purchases to the monthly pick-up threads.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
You're right...no way he was talking about ME. BTW, im logged in this site still because I have a few thousand dollars worth of cards for sale on this site.
I repeat, (but I'm used to doing that. I have teenagers), he wasn't talking about JUST YOU!

He referred to a spate of posters. Certainly, you are just one of the members of that group. Yet, somehow the thread has become all about you.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I repeat, (but I'm used to doing that. I have teenagers), he wasn't talking about JUST YOU!

He referred to a spate of posters. Certainly, you are just one of the members of that group. Yet, somehow the thread has become all about you.

My BST ad went live at 4:15pm yesterday. This thread went live at 4:56pm yesterday. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what the inspiration was for this thread, does it?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Chicago, why do you care what people think of you? Are you running for Congress? And why do you need to talk to other people on this board in order to have 'fun' with your collecting?

I'm starting to think what might actually be fun is to have a steel cage match with you, Blunder and that Verisleeves CEO guy inside.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
My BST ad went live at 4:15pm yesterday. This thread went live at 4:56pm yesterday. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what the inspiration was for this thread, does it?

I repeat, for the third time, IT WASN"T JUST YOU!

Yes, you are/were part of the problem, but if you were the only guy who had done this recently, it would have gone unmentioned.

Now, please, leave us alone.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Chicago, why do you care what people think of you? Are you running for Congress?

Jeff,

You know our fine Congressmen are far too busy for these kinds of things! They are much more concerned with hookers, young boys, and blow. When they do get down to business, they worry that Guam may capsize if the Navy consolidates multiple facilities to one side of the island.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Paul

Chicago--

Even in your quote of me trying to prove it was all about you, you acknowledged that I said that there were "other examples."

Of course yours was the most recent example, which caused me to make my post.

Also, yours was the most blatant example I have ever seen in my 8-9 years on this board.

Your interest in getting into these arguments is what gets you into trouble. Stop fighting -- get your collection liquidated -- and pick up another hobby, preferably one that does not require you to make friends on-line.

@SignedT206
Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 AM
David McDonald

Chicago: For starters, I don't even know your name. There was a debate here last year when we switched to the new forum about anonymnity and Anonymous prevailed. That disappointed me. As it is every Tom, Dick or Chicago can cruise onto the site, do their thing and not really be accountable.

A lot of the guys go way back. They are not shimmering entities in cyberspace to each other but flesh-and-blood people they've shaken hands with, shared time with, talked cards with, and ultimately become the best of friends with. For a lot of us Net54 is like a clubhouse where, one way or another, we have managed to fit in. When I first came aboard six or seven years ago I was timid as a mouse amongst the regulars; gradually I found a comfortable niche. I am sure that many others' stories would echo that. What we have here is a mobocracy of rich guys, poor guys, in-between guys, registry types and beater collectors, right wing whack jobs and liberal pussies, those who can spell and those who can't, you get the drift. Somehow it all works, most of the time anyway. Only a few characters over the years have gotten the heave-ho but I am afraid it is not looking good for you. You haven't respected us. If you want to stay, you really need to chill. If you want to go, go already; your exit thus far has been graceless. (No problem for "chicago" I suppose if no one knows who you are). Please don't construe this as an "attack". I am trying to keep things on an even keel here although I gotta say your program is starting to piss me off.

David McDonald

It's 3:30 in the morning where I am. Just got finished reviewing the Heritage catalog and I am going to sleep. I hope this thread is DOA when I get up. You east coast guys, what are you doing on 54? It's a weekday. Don't you have jobs?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
You east coast guys, what are you doing on 54? It's a weekday. Don't you have jobs?

No. We're all "liberal pussies."

Crap! Edited to add:

Last edited by Jim VB; 04-07-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm a liberal pussy who can spell. Is that good?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
It's 3:30 in the morning where I am. Just got finished reviewing the Heritage catalog and I am going to sleep. I hope this thread is DOA when I get up. You east coast guys, what are you doing on 54? It's a weekday. Don't you have jobs?
Geez David. How do you think many of us pass the time at our jobs?

Ken
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm a liberal pussy who can spell. Is that good?
Nope! In my neighborhood a liberal pussy who can't spell is a notch above one that can spell. Sorry about that.

Lovely Day...
Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Barry Sloate

I assumed the good spelling was the problem.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Default This Board is at its best when...

Sorry wrong thread.

Last edited by bigtrain; 04-07-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

Quote:
We seem to have a small spate of people who start threads about their "amazing" recent purchases, which had everything to do with spending several thousand dollars on readily available cards, only to have them turn around and flip those cards within days of those posts.

I got no problem with card flipping, or quickly losing interest in areas of collecting. But to go out of your way to share your "great find" in a thread that explains how your purchase really defines you as a collector -- only to flip the cards or collection a day later -- is not only lame but it frankly makes you look like a wildly bipolar drama queen to your reading audience.

We pat each other on the backs for jobs well done in collecting -- big and small. You want the congratulations for making an easy purchase that has nothing to do with a long-term collection -- fine. But do us all a favor and don't use us like some kind of advertisement for your prospective flip. And keep your personal drama about how you hate the cards you loved yesterday to your psychologist.
agreed...and we all see through it faster than anything.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
agreed...and we all see through it faster than anything.
Exactly. When you've seen it a bunch of times, you get a really great BS meter.

@SignedT206
Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Exactly. When you've seen it a bunch of times, you get a really great BS meter.

The main difference being that im not a "flipper". Flippers make a profit. Im exiting the hobby at/below my cost. Hard to be a flipper when you dont make a dime, isnt it?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Question

I tried to stay out of it but one question is really nagging at me. Just because you can't talk about your cards with a bunch of strangers you are giving up collecting? That just seems like a odd reason to not collect. You stated in previous posts that you loved the history, photography and beauty of the cards themselves. How do a few disagreements on a website ruin your enjoyment so badly? Personally, I have no one to discuss my cards with, yet I look at them nearly every day and get great enjoyment in just having them. I also buy and sell cards on a regular basis as a hobby. I get some, enjoy them for a while, and move some more to generate revenue to purchase more. I have a very small budget, so selling some of what I have allows me to get something else I like more at the time. I have some I plan on not selling as part of my permanent collection, but "never say never". I re-focus my collecting wants regularly but I would never dump everything and get out of it just because of what somebody else thinks of me or my cards. Nobody has actually said it, but maybe because you came in all guns blazing, spent more money than most of us would have in 10 years for cards and then 3 days after proudly displaying your collection and sharing the story of how it all started, you sell it all and say it's the board's fault. Just my opinion, but it sounds strange. You don't have to reply an if you do I won't slam your response.
Good luck in your future endeavors.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default flipping?

Quote:
The main difference being that im not a "flipper". Flippers make a profit. Im exiting the hobby at/below my cost. Hard to be a flipper when you dont make a dime, isnt it?
Actually, no, it's not hard to be a flipper if you don't make a dime. Ask any person that flips (myself included) and every single one will tell you they don't always make money on a flip. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It goes with the territory. And, btw Chicago, I honestly wasn't even thinking of you in my last post. I just want the bickering to quit. I don't care how we get there, only that we do in fact get there. That includes everyone on the board.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Dan McCarthy

Can we get Bruce reinstated please? At least that guy was good for a laugh or three and didn't whine too much.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Paul

Quote:
Whether you make a profit is ENTIRELY BESIDE THE POINT. People who sell what they just bought are flipping the item. What you originally paid for the item and what you are asking for the item are both entirely irrelevant. The issue I have with the behavior is in your entire process and way of doing business. That you're not making any money out of it only makes your process more irrational than it already is.

@SignedT206
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Rob have you been hacking my Ipod again?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Joann

Quote:
A lot of the guys go way back. They are not shimmering entities in cyberspace to each other but flesh-and-blood people they've shaken hands with, shared time with, talked cards with, and ultimately become the best of friends with. For a lot of us Net54 is like a clubhouse where, one way or another, we have managed to fit in. When I first came aboard six or seven years ago I was timid as a mouse amongst the regulars; gradually I found a comfortable niche. I am sure that many others' stories would echo that. What we have here is a mobocracy of rich guys, poor guys, in-between guys, registry types and beater collectors, right wing whack jobs and liberal pussies, those who can spell and those who can't, you get the drift. Somehow it all works, most of the time anyway. Only a few characters over the years have gotten the heave-ho but I am afraid it is not looking good for you. You haven't respected us. If you want to stay, you really need to chill. If you want to go, go already; your exit thus far has been graceless. (No problem for "chicago" I suppose if no one knows who you are). Please don't construe this as an "attack". I am trying to keep things on an even keel here although I gotta say your program is starting to piss me off.

Thank goodness there are still voices of sanity here. Besides the ones in my head, I mean.

J
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
Thank goodness there are still voices of sanity here. Besides the ones in my head, I mean. J
Joann,

A possible remedy. I've found that while drinking does not silence the voices in my head it does make slur to point that I can't understand what they're saying.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

You know, if a guy wants to tell you on this board that he finally got a card he wanted bad, good for him. He feels good that he got it. If an hour later he wants to sell it thats his business. Why the big deal. He was happy to get it and now he feels he completed his task and wants to move on to something else. Did you not ever feel in this hobby, thank god I finally got this card, now I can move on. So what. The man doesn't need to be belittled over it. He can do what he wants. Some of you guys need to lighten up ALOT.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
Thank goodness there are still voices of sanity here. Besides the ones in my head, I mean.
J
Joann: Used to be that males were guys and females were gals. Nowadays when my wife and I go out for dinner the waiter invariably refers to us as "you guys"; her girlfriends refer to each other as "you guys". So it appears we're all guys now. I'm old fashioned enough to have never entirely gotten my mind around the concept but the world keeps changing so what's a guy to do? What I am getting around to saying is that by the foregoing logic you are one of the guys around here, very much so. Had I have written "you guys and Joann" in my little McDonald being pompous again screed it would have sounded stilted. Hope you're OK with being a guy.