NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

Default What should I do?????

Okay guys, I am a newbie to this forum. I have been collecting the 56 Topps set for almost 10 years now. I collect Ex to Nrmt with 60% Exmt. I have all the key cards except Ford, Killebrew, Checklist 2/4, and the Yankees team card. I only need 20 cards to complete the set. I had some 54 topps and 55 topps, and now I have been buying mostly 54 and some 55 cards. The reason I have not completed the 56 set is the price of the key cards in 54 and 55, have gone through the roof in price, especially graded. I feel that if I don't start now it will be to late, being that a graded 5 Clemente is 3 grand. Thank God I have the Aaron rookie and most star cards from 54. Also I break out the graded cards cause I want my sets raw. Am I going about putting these sets together the wrong way? Should I just focus on one set at a time? Thanx.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Personally, I believe you're making a big mistake busting out graded stars. Those cards are far more valuable graded than ungraded.

The sets I have collected, the major stars are graded and the commons are ungraded but in near mint condition. This may be an option to consider.

You can always work on the common cards, so I would be inclined to get the key cards and stars out of he way first. As for a 55 Clemente, that may be one you get a much lesser grade and work on a better one down the road.

The stars and key cards are going to appreciate much faster than the commons will.

I'm sure others have their own opinions, and will chime in.

Just my two cents worth though.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I would agree that if you buy high grade cards, you shouldn't break them out, but that's your collection. Why not just buy high grade raw cards?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

My Aaron rookie is slabbed. But some of the stars were 5'sand 6's. I can see the point about not breaking them out, but a dealer told me once that getting cards that grade 5 and 6 aren't really worth getting graded unless there are the key cards. I understand going after the major cards. I did that with the 56's but even the 54 commons at exmt are way too pricey.

Last edited by 661fish; 01-23-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 PM
je.sse @rnot

If you want to finish a set I would focus on finishing the 56 set, then moving on. 55 Clements prices have come back down to earth, so now may be a good time to pick one up. I also would not recommend cracking these cards out. Maybe pick up a reprint to fill a spot in an album, and keep the real card in the holder.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

I guess I'll start going after the money cards, but how has a Clemente rookie come back down to earth?I thought the 56 Mantle was way overpriced, but to pay 3 g's for a 5 or raw EX??? Imho that card is way overpriced.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:54 PM
je.sse @rnot

During the peak of the run up they were going for 3-4k or more in a 5. Recent sales are in the 2k to 2200 range. For one of the most iconic post war cards in the hobby my personal belief is that is a good price. I don't see it getting much better. Good luck either way.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 PM
And*y Quig!ey

Jesse beat me to it. I think putting reproductions in with your raw set can be a decent compromise. I've done that a couple of times myself.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

When I was building my 54-56 sets, I went after the higher dollar cards first and I went back and forth from one set to another knowing that all three were goals.

Getting those out of the way first makes it easier or, at least, makes it seem easier to complete the set.

It helped that these three sets are considerably smaller than those sets that followed.

Considering the '56 set has 90 more cards than the '55 set and 130 more than the '54 set, that could also help you decide which direction to take.

I also agree with those who have advised not to break out any graded cards - you'll regret it in the long run.

If one of the three sets is much more desirable to you than the others, consider purchasing an already completed set...which is not as much fun, but will probably wind up saving you money- depending on the condition you require.

Good Luck

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente