NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Default How did you start collecting?

Posted By: Anson

I thought it would be interesting to see how some of you got into collecting vintage cards. Also, what was your first true vintage card?

I grew up collecting the cards from the time, 70's and some early 80's. While over at my next door neighboors, I noticed he had boxes upon boxes of 60's cards in his garage. I explained to him what he had and, for the education, he gave me a Mantle and a few other cards.

While in school, I started working for the local sportscard store to help keep myself afloat. I was turned on to the prewar stuff by my boss and picked up my first prewar card (a clean, Mcbride T206). Since then, I have collected players that I have interest in and have started trying to build this pesky E101 set.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joan

My very first card was a Jack Barry t206 which I bought for $9 at a show in Fort Washington while accompanying my brother on his Pokemon binge. I couldn't believe the blue background, it looked like the sky in a Giotto fresco. I still have that card and love it.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

9-year-old son got me hooked in '79; when he quit 3 years later, I tumbled back in history, winding up in the 19th century.
First card I bought (for son--I thought):

Last card I bought(for ME):

(when my son quit, he told his father to tell me--he was afraid to tell me himself--thought I'd drop dead, or something!)

Old 08-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Bought my first baseball cards in 88, I loved going to Toys R Us and searching the rack packs. 88 and 89 Donruss kept me entertained.

First vintage, a few years ago I picked up a T206 Red Cobb for a few hundred on Ebay. Had it shipped to me while I was serving in Kosovo. That Cobb eventually led to a dozen more Cobbs.

Brian

Old 08-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: godvls

I started collecting Topps when I was a kid in '67 and never really stopped until the late 80's (with a one year hiatus in 1977 - my senior year of high school.) My first vintage card was a T205 John McGraw that I picked up for $5 at a card show in Anaheim in 1976.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

1977 - I was a flipper, not a collector

1992 - my friend Joe introduced (seduced?) me into the world of hot rookie cards that were worth tens of dollars; I start with football since I didn't know about horseracing cards at the time

1993 - collected football and basketball; insertmania arrives; went to a National in Westchester, saw a lot of cards, bought Japanese baseball packs, and saw some beautiful tobacco cards that were white, borderless, and looked like a miniature painting... "Ooooo, rookie cards at the next table" - so much for that miniature painting

1994 - I actually believed rare insert cards were going to outperform RCs in the long run; "Who collects vintage? It's crap."

1998 - I give in and collect baseball, rookies, inserts, and all; prospecting to make a big hit; traded "$200 worth of Dan Marino inserts plus $50 cash for an ungraded EX-MT 1962 Topps #1 Roger Maris" because I saw that card in an episode of ST:TNG

1999 - become disgusted with the high price of RCs and last year's RC's becoming yesterday's news; I stop collecting cold turkey

2005 - January.... looked at my collection for the first time in a long time; it was fun, but was it worth it?; what would I do if I started all over again?; "collect to keep, not for financial gain"; Hmmmm.... fine homes display fine art, and fine art is mostly composed of old masterpieces; the Metropolitan Museum of Art displays baseball cards; would my collection be worthy of that?; old cards.... vintage.... tobacco...; a 1977 Ron Guidry card I hold in my hand - one of two cards that I hacthed with my own hands from a pack back in 1977; if not Sotheby's, at least a museum, or something that has great significance to me; a mention of this board from the Beckett board led me to here; since I was going to purchase tobacco cards, I got a T206 Willetts as my comparison card should I buy a raw card; I came upon and got that miniature painting I saw back in 1993 - the N28 King Kelly; came upon a couple of T206 Kid Elberfeld Washington portraits; and back to my first love combined with my new love - thoroughbreds on tobacco issues

I am one with the universe since I now collect out of pure love and enjoyment

Bottom line: I learned the hard way, but I learned

Old 08-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

For many of us long time posters, you can find this info with the search function since this thread theme has been repeated many times. Besides, I too lazy too retype my story.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

There IS the Select All|Copy|Paste method.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

very true. I just woke up when wrote that, so my brain wasn't fully engaged. Not that it ever has been.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.