NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Jon L

Default Ultra Pro Penny Sleeves PVC/Acid Free?

I have purchased Ultra Pro sleeves and Toploaders for my T206's however they seem to be the only product of Ultra Pro that say nothing about whether there is PVC or acid in the product.
Anyone have any insight?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:23 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

BCW make as similar product that is cheaper and the binder pages hold more. That's my preference

Member since 2009
Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

I don't have an old package handy, but the new ones are clear about it.

Are you sure they're ultra pro?

http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info...oducts_id=1623

If it's made of polypropylene or Mylar, (a form of polyester) it's just fine.

Steve B
Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Jon L

These are the ones I am talking about. 10 sleeves and 10 toploaders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ULTRA-PRO...#ht_215wt_1161

Last edited by jlehma13; 10-12-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Interesting. Nothing on their website either.

I'd think the sleeves were the same stuff as their other sleeves, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to email them.

I've used just about everything that's come along since 1974 at one time or another. I haven't had many problems. The old vinyl pages had their troubles of course, No damage on any of my stuff but I'm finally out of them completely. And no issues with any sleeves I've used.
I did have some sleeves that were left in the sun for around 5 years get brittle and come apart when touched. No damage to the cards.
And actual Mylar sleeves are a nuisance in toploaders. The ones I had were melted together leaving a thick seam. Espaecially at the corners. So I had to cut the corners off to get them in the toploaders. After a few years they got stuck to the toploader. Not chemically since Mylar is mostly inert, but no air between two smooth surfaces means it's not coming out. After damaging a card removing it, I went with cutting the toploaders afterwards.

I'm not sure about the new ones, but the toploaders do get yellow with age especially if exposed to light.

Steve B
Old 10-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Jon L

Thank you Steve. I did send them an email and will let you know what they say. It's good to know that although you have had sleeves go bad on you, they didn't affect the card. I never thought I'd be so over-protective about my ripped and torn beater cards but i'd like to preserve them for as long as possible!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:45 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Feel free to contact me for either toploaders and sleeves for tobacco or binder pages. Have a bunch left over from when I used to sell them.

Member since 2009
Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I use Ultra Pro Toploaders and sleeves for all of my cards. I have never used the small ones like these Ts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ULTRA-PRO...#ht_215wt_1161

in preference of using the Ultra Pro 3 x 4, thereby lessening the different sizes I need. I also use 4 x 6, 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 ones (and some larger). And no, I don't own stock in their company , it's just what I use for ungraded cards, such as this one below..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/600-ULTRA-PR...item1e8159f439

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe101bender.jpg (44.6 KB, 173 views)
Old 10-14-2013, 01:49 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I use Ultra Pro Toploaders and sleeves for all of my cards. I have never used the small ones like these Ts in preference of using the Ultra Pro 3 x 4, thereby lessening the different sizes I need. I also use 4 x 6, 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 ones (and some larger). And no, I don't own stock in their company , it's just what I use for ungraded cards, such as this one below.
I'm with you, Leon.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Bill Gregory

I've got my one ungraded T206 in a Card Saver I, and I'd planned on doing that with the others I have coming in. Should I consider penny sleeves and top loaders instead? I use the Card Saver because it prevents the card from sliding around, and my understanding is that they don't require penny sleeves.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I've got my one ungraded T206 in a Card Saver I, and I'd planned on doing that with the others I have coming in. Should I consider penny sleeves and top loaders instead? I use the Card Saver because it prevents the card from sliding around, and my understanding is that they don't require penny sleeves.
Bill,
It's all personal preference. I like top loaders because they are smaller and stack better than Card Savers. Plus it's a lot easier to get a card in and out of a top loader (at least IMO), even with a sleeve (which I always use). The people that use Card Savers do so for the very reason you mentioned and I agree that they are best for shipping/stabilizing cards, but I don't put my top loaders in my pocket upside down while I'm on a trampoline so I never understood using them at home. But that's just me. Card Savers are cheaper, too, if I'm not mistaken -so that could be a factor for dealers and/or bigger collections.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:41 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Bill,
A penny sleeve in a top loader (generally) won't let the card slide around either.

I've found that the best way to store your cards is the way YOU prefer to store them. There are X number of ways to store your cards and Y number of reasons for doing so. And just like the answer to what you should collect, there IS no correct answer. Just opinions.

FWIW... I put all my 3x4 or smaller cards in penny sleeves (with some of them going into 3x4 top loaders as well), and store them in 2-wide shoe boxes. It works just fine for "me" and "my" collection.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Paul

Not a huge fan of cardsavers given that glossy cards sometimes peel on to them. Never had a problem with pre-war in them, but I don't think it's wise to have the face of a baseball card pressed against plastic.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Bill Gregory

Thank you for the responses, guys. I think the penny sleeves, top loaders and team bags are the way to go. The Card Savers were purchased for when I start submitting cards for grading, but when I got my Claude Rossman in, I guess I started over-thinking it.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Thank you for the responses, guys. I think the penny sleeves, top loaders and team bags are the way to go. The Card Savers were purchased for when I start submitting cards for grading, but when I got my Claude Rossman in, I guess I started over-thinking it.
For me the Card Savers are easier to get cards in and out of....but long term protection in my collection is why I go with he more rigid Top Loader containing the card in a penny sleeve. To each their own!!