NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayFaithful View Post
Do we know at what PSI the Colts' footballs started at? Do we know at what PSI the Colts' footballs ended at? Do we know how the Colts prepare their footballs?
No. To help feed your paranoia, since "we" all hate the Patriots for some reason known only to Patriot fans, we don't know anything about any other NFL team's footballs, because the Patriots are the only ones being picked on. It's a conspiracy where all other NFL team's questionable actions are ignored or coverd over (conspiracy). Remember - everyone hates the Patriots.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
No. To help feed your paranoia, since "we" all hate the Patriots for some reason known only to Patriot fans, we don't know anything about any other NFL team's footballs, because the Patriots are the only ones being picked on. It's a conspiracy where all other NFL team's questionable actions are ignored or coverd over (conspiracy). Remember - everyone hates the Patriots.

Quit being a hater, Scott I liked you a lot more when you were just filled with hate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Chris

Last edited by FenwayFaithful; 05-18-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Ha, OK. Another strange post from you.
...I can hardly wait for #14.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:48 PM
FredYoung

Quote:
Hopefully the Pats don't win because than the Super Bowl is tainted ---
I was wondering when this statement would be posted----the excuses, in case Seattle loses, are starting!

Anyone care to suggest how the Patriots will "cheat" their way thru, in case they win???
Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
I was wondering when this statement would be posted----the excuses, in case Seattle loses, are starting!

Anyone care to suggest how the Patriots will "cheat" their way thru, in case they win???
They cheated to get to the game. They may not have needed to cheat to beat the Colts, but what about the Ravens? How many regular season games did they win by cheating? Anything they accomplish will be tainted.

As far as the Harvard or MIT professors, they can be ignored because they haven't shown anything. They can give a theoretical explanation, but have they done actual research? They can't explain why the 12th ball didn't deflate. They can't explain why the Colts balls didn't deflate. Even if they were at 13.5, by the professors theory, they would still have been below 12.5 if effected like the 11 Pats balls. They can't explain why none of the other teams have this problem, even teams in colder climates than NE. They can't explain how the Pats balls deflated in the first Colts game played indoors in a controlled climate. Their theories are bs.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:10 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
. They can't explain why the Colts balls didn't deflate. Even if they were at 13.5, by the professors theory, they would still have been below 12.5 if effected like the 11 Pats balls. They can't explain why none of the other teams have this problem, even teams in colder climates than NE. They can't explain how the Pats balls deflated in the first Colts game played indoors in a controlled climate. Their theories are bs.
I think you're very selective in what you read. Did you not see the comment about refs allowing balls within 1 psi of the NFL limit. This has not been a "problem" before because NO ONE EVER CARED!! I'm sure plenty of footballs have been used at under 12.5 psi, but no one ever complained. Like said before, it's not like refs, or anyone is checking pressure of the game balls in real time
Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Do we know at what PSI the Colts' footballs started at? Do we know at what PSI the Colts' footballs ended at? Do we know how the Colts prepare their footballs?
Andrew Luck supposedly likes them at the upper limit, like Rodgers. Pretty sure I brought this up earlier in the discussion, but it seems to have been ignored.

I think it's also crazy that MIT and Harvard professors are being ignored. Seems safe to assume these guys are smarter than anyone posting in this thread. Even if they were to be Pats fans, I highly doubt anyone in their positions, achieved through years of incredibly hard work and merit, would risk their scientific reputations by fudging calcs. That non Boston area (Pittsburgh) firm's experiment showed an average 1.8 psi shift. That coupled with the possibility the Pats may have figured out a way to temporarily increase ball pressure while the refs measure them seems enough to create doubt in my mind. I'd also challenge anyone here to take air out of 11 balls in 80 seconds.. This includes taking them out and putting them back in the bag.. And I've allotted 10 sec to open and close the door. "on your mark, set, go!"

That said, I guess the "person of interest's" bathroom run, and a team's bad reputation trump science and are seen as damning evidence. Scary, and I really hope I never, for whatever reason find myself in the media/public crosshairs.. Everyone should watch "Gone Girl" as an example of how little people need to form firm, unbreakable opinions.

Back to the rule and enforcement, I have watched video of refs topping balls off. At one point an official says, "this one's within a psi, it's good". If they're willing to let a pound go, maybe the Colts balls, starting at 13.5, are under the limit at 11.5-12 psi by half, but the refs are ok with it. Maybe they started 0.5-1 pound high, and the refs were ok with that? The pressures of these 11 balls (and Colts' 12) has NEVER been publicly confirmed! I doubt they even know, since they apparently just topped them up. One of my first points that still stands, if the refs and the league didn't care to strictly enforce this rule, why should we?? and if the Pats did cheat, punish them and move on.

At least there's still a game to be played, and I know I'm gonna enjoy it.. Hopefully at least some of the others here will as well.

Last edited by itjclarke; 01-27-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: corrected quote used
Old 01-28-2015, 07:02 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I think it's also crazy that MIT and Harvard professors are being ignored. Seems safe to assume these guys are smarter than anyone posting in this thread. Even if they were to be Pats fans, I highly doubt anyone in their positions, achieved through years of incredibly hard work and merit, would risk their scientific reputations by fudging calcs.
Yeah, and we all know science has never been proven wrong

Ummm....junk science???
Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Yeah, and we all know science has never been proven wrong
They won't be proven wrong by this bunch here

The guys who actually tested with footballs in Pittsburgh seems pretty compelling to me.. Average 1.8 drop in psi.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Ian, I hope you (and the scientists and professors) are correct about this. I would much prefer that Brady not be guilty, and I don't want to see the actual Super Bowl affected, regardless of anyone's guilt. On the other hand, a sh*t-storm for Goodell and the NFL is fine by me.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:29 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Ian, I hope you (and the scientists and professors) are correct about this. I would much prefer that Brady not be guilty, and I don't want to see the actual Super Bowl affected, regardless of anyone's guilt. On the other hand, a sh*t-storm for Goodell and the NFL is fine by me.
I do too, and hope it would just go away. I'd guess the vast majority of guys in the league (or anyone who's played), if answering honestly and not knowing who's involved would have said this is not a big deal. What's kind of lame, is it is a big deal now, and you'll get far fewer honest answers going forward. The viewing public will probably now demand all balls be protected in a vault until 1 min before kick off.. and they'll probably stick a camera on the ball handler, like done with cops, so the angry mob can be certain he's not tampering with the sacred balls in the bathroom.

rats--- I think you've served your purpose honorably in this battle. Now Raider Nation needs your activism against that ball fixer Brad Johnson and the 2002-03 Super Bowl Champion** Bucs.

** tainted due to cheating and overall scumbaggery of the lowest kind

Last edited by itjclarke; 01-28-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Belltown Vintage

To be fair, while researching the NFC Championship game, I found this pic.

Can anyone here squeeze a football to make it look like that?

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:

I bet Tom Brady and the patriots touched that ball before the NFC championship game...you know, because we know they cheated and all

Can someone remind me why this is even a big deal? Is it because they supposedly cheated? Got caught cheating? Other nfl teams/fans/players are jealous? By now, we all know that every team has probably bent the rules at some point or another, but in most cases it's been swept under the rug, ignored, or possibly revealed to be made an example out of. I don't think cheating is ok, but what if the jaguars were caught wearing illegal cleats? Would we even care? I know this isn't the point, but they outscored the colts even more in the second half with fully inflated balls...giving us more reason to laugh about this whole thing.

I know we have the right to speculate, but we know nothing right now and will have to wait for the results before putting them in our fake prison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Steve Birmingham

If I had arms like either of those guys I'm guessing I probably could.

But I don't. So the answer is probably not. Unless it's a nerf ball.

Steve B

Quote:

Old 01-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Andrew Luck supposedly likes them at the upper limit, like Rodgers. Pretty sure I brought this up earlier in the discussion, but it seems to have been ignored.

I think it's also crazy that MIT and Harvard professors are being ignored. Seems safe to assume these guys are smarter than anyone posting in this thread.
You did, and Rodgers is lucky his balls didn't magically super-inflate during the Seahawks loss, although he seemed fairly accurate at the end.

I think professors and scientists want their moment in the spotlight as much as anyone. And I'm certain there are a few like this guy, who are dying to give their opinions.