NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Default Stop with these Reprints!

This guy (dragonfly6971) has been brought up many times on the board selling fakes/reprints. In fact it the HIGH-END stuff.
Some board members already mentioned some of these fakes, but when i saw the 52 Mick, i had to inform the group here to watch. I cant verify all these are fakes, but sure looks like it. ATLEAST IT SAYS 'REPRINT" in his listing.
Caveat Emptor or along the lines of that. Nothing wrong with him selling these as reprints, just know that they are reprints.
I can see buying a fake/reprint for a few bucks as a show & tell piece by all means, but people are bidding some good bucks on these.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dragonfly697...p2047675.l2562
52 Mick
Pete Rose RC
1916 Babe Ruth RC
1915 CJ Wagner
53 Mick
33 Goudey SportsKings- Cobb
1915 CJ Cobb
51 Bowman- Mick
1914 Baltimore- Ruth
T206- Green Cobb back
MJordan RC
JNamath RC (butterfly)

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 03-29-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:23 PM

While I have been an outspoken supporter of reprints and fantasy cards, I could not agree with you more.

To write in the description area distinctly below the title, "I am listing the card as a reprint", could possibly be misconstrued as ambiguous, and that the vendor is indefinite about its genuineness. Meaning, the phrase almost has the connotation that in his opinion, he thinks it is a reprint. When, in fact, the words he uses in his listing titles describes these valuable cards as if they were indeed genuine. The worn appearance of the cards gives the impression to me that they are the real thing when, in point of fact, they are all reprints! But, to John Q. Public they look like real vintage cards. But they are most definitely not real cards; they are just nice reprints. This is very misleading.

An interested buyer thinks to himself, "well, I don't know. It sure looks real. Ok, I'll drop 10, 15, 20 bucks on it. Hey, what if it's actually real? Then I'd get it for a steal! What a deal! Yeah, I'll bid $20 bucks on the chance he doesn't know what he's really got.

If a card is a reprint, or a fantasy card, that word must be in the title, of a certainty, and be worded explicitly as such in that title description. Otherwise, it's a subtle, if not outright, con game. ----Brian Powell

I suppose this goes without saying, but if a card is a reprint or fantasy card, somewhere on the backside it should state that the card is a reprint or fantasy, with the year it was printed. I know some souls are too stupid gullible for their own good, but at least some attempt should be made to identify the item as reprint or fantasy, and not a vintage period piece.

Last edited by brian1961; 03-31-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Steve

"An interested buyer thinks to himself, "well, I don't know. It sure looks real. Ok, I'll drop 10, 15, 20 bucks on it. Hey, what if it's actually real? Then I'd get it for a steal! What a deal! Yeah, I'll bid $20 bucks on the chance he doesn't know what he's really got..."
Is it ever really possible to cheat an honest buyer?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 AM

Are you connoting "honest buyer" with a gullible customer? --Brian
Old 04-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Steve

Default semantics

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Are you connoting "honest buyer" with a gullible customer? --Brian
No, it's just that the old bromide, "you can't cheat an honest man," suggests that a buyer trying to take advantage of someone else's ignorance is not honest, gullibility aside.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:34 PM

Steve, I'm pretty slow sometimes at catching on. Thank you for your patience with me in explaining the line of thinking.

You have expressed a valid point, my collecting compadre. There are bad sellers, and some monsters in the form of buyers. I will never, ever forget the scathing indictment upon buyers that Joe Orlando penned in his "Taking My Hacks" column in the SPORTS MARKET REPORT. I could not find the entry among the archived issues on their site. I distinctly recall the time frame being about 2001-2002, and the title of Joe's column was "Heirloom Doom". It was about as ugly as it can get. A prime example of why Joe always signs off with, "Never Get Cheated".

A fascinating and rather humorous example happened upon a pawn shop earlier this year on the West Coast. Seems a gent was browsing through the shop and happened upon a diver's watch. With so many glitzy "looks like an expensive watch" el-cheapos, the timepiece connoisseur recognized the diver's watch as a seldom seen prime example of an elite brand that only made several hundred of them a year back in the day (about 1961). He paid about 25 bucks for it. Whereupon he took his bounty to either a major auction firm specializing in timepieces, or wherever it was, and garnered about 25,000 dollars for his find. Not often does a pawn shop gets the shaft; almost invariably, it's the other way around. Time to do something else with my life. Regards, Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-05-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Cobb

He still got almost 300 page views on the T206 reprint Cobb and it brought $100 and positive feedback from the buyer!!!!!!

Unbelievable!

Mike
Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Mike, that is amazing. A hundred bucks; as someone pointed out initially, that's serious money for some flat out reprints. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-07-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Al Richter

Default Reprints

Here are some Reprints I have

The one on the right is a reprint

One on left is reprint

others

One of these is a reprint...of sorts

Reprints from SI

Most baseball cards are "reprints"

Old 04-08-2015, 12:30 PM

Al---

Those reprints of the 1951 Topps All-Stars Roberts, Stanky, and Konstanty are very sweet indeed. Lovely. Well-done. Any way to still get them?

Regardless, thanks for posting. ----Brian Powell
Old 04-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Al Richter

Default Topps 51 Current AS

They are the work of a fellow board member. I had the issued 8 and figured to never coral the unissued 3, but he very generously filled out the set for me.

In hand they would never be taken for the real thing, which is good because I as I Larry S encountered a fairly convincing fake, I think of Stankey, at a National some time back. Still, they look nice in a binder with the others

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-08-2015 at 12:56 PM.