NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-09-2017, 06:34 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Default Favorite Jim S. Pickup

With Jim leaving the hobby, I know that he is responsible for bringing some of the toughest/most unique autographs to collectors. I thought I would start a thread where people can show them off. Here is mine, from J.L's grandson. Took a small loan out to finance it, but have no regrets.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks to Jim, I was able to finish my 1960 Pirate team project without breaking the bank. I was giddy when he had the perfect Olivo, but dropped on the floor when he had a "less than perfect" Clemente for an unbelievable price. On the Clemente, a previous owner had taken some whiteout and taken off the name on the salutation, but that was matted out anyway, so it's now a perfect Clemente.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pirates1.jpg (31.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg pirates2.jpg (33.1 KB, 308 views)
Old 06-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Did the thread where Jim Stinson announced his retirement/semi retirement disappear ?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:11 PM

Default Favorite Jim Stinson autograph- Chick Fraser

It's really tough to pick one, because there have been many, but here are two...

This Brooklyn Dodgers dinner menu that was signed by 1903 no-hit pitcher Chick Fraser is certainly way up there.

I found finding Chick Fraser's autograph to be exceedingly tough, but Jim filled this hole with a terrific piece with eye appeal IMHO considering all the other Dodgers that signed the menu as well. Fraser happened to be in attendance because he was a scout for the Brooklyn Dodgers at the time that the dinner was held in 1934.

The second is a beautiful 1931 Lefty Grove fountain pen signed album page. This is a great example of Lefty's nicer variation of his signature with flourish.
HOF'er Lefty Grove certainly needs no introduction to this board, but he was arguably the greatest left-handed pitcher of all time (no slight to HOF Sandy Koufax intended).
It's certainly one of my favorite signatures in my personal collection and it came from Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chic Fraser autograph.jpg (76.2 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg Lefty Grove 1931 album page.jpg (77.7 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg Lefty Grove 1931 photo and album page- 2.jpg (70.1 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-10-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

Did the thread where Jim Stinson announced his retirement/semi retirement disappear ?
It's on the main (Pre-War) board.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 06-13-2017, 06:30 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Unfortunately, I do not have any photos readily available to share. And, boy, not sure where I would even start. Purchases from Jim over the years has accounted for nearly 20% of my baseball autograph collection. Notables would include early 1930’s album page signed by both Tigers toughies John Grabowski and Charles Sullivan. And the Chief Zimmer signed document, and Joe Casey signed Boston reunion scorecard cut (with partial GC Alexander autograph) are special too. But I think I would have to give the nod to the numerous, obscure Tigers autographs Jim provided (several from the PCL). Guys like Hack Summer, Ross Erwin, Carl Zamlock, Pug Cavet, Jack Ryan, Frank Okrie, Rabbit Powell, Guy Cantrell, Nolen Richardson, Art Griggs, Heinie Elder, Roy Crumpler, Ralph Comstock, Cy Fried, Gus Hetling, Miles Main, Red McKee, Snooks Dowd, and many others. Some of these I have only encountered available for sale only once or twice over the past 20 years. Not sure if I have encountered another Art Griggs or Snooks Dowd. But happy to have had Jim as a valued source over these years. His announcement was bittersweet.