NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-20-2017, 07:05 AM
$cotty @.utin

Default Eisenhower versus Jim Thorpe

Sorry for the repost, I felt this story needed to stand on its own.

Did you know that Jim Thorpe almost caused Eisenhower to quit the Academy?

As I comb through the contents of a recent purchase, I found it told a really fascinating story with the future General of the Army for World War II and the 34th President of the United States: Dwight D “Ike” Eisenhower. Much of this is gathered from two books: “West Point 1915: Eisenhower, Bradley, and the Class the Stars Fell On” and “Eisenhower Vol 1”

Dwight Eisenhower entered West Point in June 1911. He immediately took to the Academy's focus on tradition and requirement for physical activities. Seeing a first-class collegiate sports program, Ike tried out for the football team. Although he was very athletic and strong, his 5’11’’-152 pound frame was simply too small to compete. Missing the cut for the varsity team, Ike settled for the in-house (JV) Cullum Hall team. Although they played local clubs and other high school teams, the highlight of the team was participating in three different Thanksgiving Day football games. You see, at that time, while cadets were complete with classes, they were not allowed to go home for Thanksgiving. So they did what most families did, they organized an intersquad football tournament. This tournament pitted the Runts versus the Flankers (1 of the 3 games).

As per the West Point Traditions Homepage:
“Before 1957, the 24 Cadet Companies were sized by height; i.e., the tallest cadets were in Companies A-1 and M-2 which, when the Corps was lined up for a Brigade Parade or Review on the Plain, Company A-1 was on the right flank and Company M-2 was on the left flank. Hence the term "Flankers" for the tallest cadets. Companies M-1 and A-2 were in the middle of the formation and were made up of the smallest cadets in the Corps, hence the term "Runts" for the shortest members of the Corps. However, when lined up on the Plain in massed Cadet Battalion formation, the Corps appeared as all being of the same height to someone observing it from the other side of the Plain.”

Apparently this game wasn’t enough for Eisenhower and he refused to be relegated to JV status for his sophomore year. He implemented a very robust diet and exercise program and worked to transform himself into the athlete needed to compete on the varsity football field. By tryouts, Ike bulked up by 22lbs to 174lbs and was faster than when he arrived to the academy. His coaches took notice and he was admitted onto the varsity team.

Eisenhower started the second game of the season against Rutgers but was unremarkable except for the fact that he played both offense and defense. He posted similar results with the during the following Yale Game

His true breakout game occurred against a strong Colgate team. Coach (Capt) Ernest Graves put Ike in the game late in the fourth quarter as Army was behind. Eisenhower immediately scored a touchdown and turned the contest of the game. Army went on to win 18-7.

Eisenhower fed on the intensity of the game and was emboldened by his performance during the Colgate game. The next major game was the Carlisle Indian team coached by the legendary Glenn “Pop” Warner. The undisputed star of this team was Jim Thorpe, an incredible all-around athlete that had won gold medals in both the pentathlon and decathlon of the 1912 Summer Olympics. During the first half, stopping Thorpe proved nearly impossible. Often, Thorpe would continue to progress the ball forward with nearly half a dozen Army linemen trying to drag him down. At half-time, Eisenhower was tired of Thorpe embarrassing the Army team. He hatched a plan with fellow linebacker Charles Benedict and called for the ole’ 1-2 against Thorpe. Out of the gate Eisenhower hit Thorpe hard in the chest while Benedict took out Thorpe’s legs. The play gasped the crowd and Carlisle called a timeout. After a few moments, Thorpe stood up, shook off the hit and was trotting back to the huddle. In no time he was making easy play of Army. Eisenhower nodded at Benedict and they were going to go at him again. Ike sprinted straight for Thorpe and dove to make the tackle. What Eisenhower and Benedict didn’t count on was Thorpe’s ability to stop on a dime. As the Carlisle star stopped, Ike and Benedict slammed into each other, badly twisting Ike’s knee. Both players came out of the game, with neither to return. Carlisle, and moreso Jim Thorpe won the game 27-6.

The following week, the cadet’s met the Tuft’s eleven. Although still battered from the Carlisle game, Eisenhower refused to sit out. He started the game with great gusto and running. It was then that a Tuft’s player grabbed his foot to drag him down. Refusing to be brought to the ground, Ike continued his momentum. And with a twist from the Tuft’s player, something popped in Ike’s knee. He had to be helped off the field and was replaced by Cadet Hocker.

Eisenhower tried to nurse his injury on his own, but was unable to walk when he came down on his knee after dismounting his horse during riding class. He was immediately sent to the hospital. Although he missed the following game against Syracuse, he was optimistic he would heal quickly and told his classmates that he would play in one of the annual Thanksgiving Day games called the “Bucks vs. Corps”. This was a game comprised of the Class of 1915 and pitted the “Buck” Privates vs. the “Corp”orals. Notice this game showcased Corporal Eisenhower vs. Private Omar Bradley. Unfortunately, Corporal Eisenhower would spend this day in the hospital and was unable to play.

In an attempt to stabilize his leg, the doctors placed him in a cast. On crutches, he watched Army lose to Navy 6-0; a humiliating 3rd loss in a row. His spirits hit rock bottom when the doctors took the cast off his leg and informed him that he would never play football again. Eisenhower plunged into a deep depression. Without football, his desire to remain at the Academy was non-existent. “Life seemed to have little meaning and the need to excel is almost gone” he later recalled. He prepared himself and the papers for resignation from the Academy; however (luckily) his roommate talked him out of it…”just give it to the end of the year.”

That summer Eisenhower returned home to a hero’s welcome. He told locals of his exploits on the football field and how he held his own against the legendary Jim Thorpe. The attention and accolades gave him the confidence he needed to return to the academy for another year. Upon his return, he could not keep away from his love for football. He found an opening as a cheer leader and it filled his need to be close to the action. It also gave him his first taste of public speaking as before each game Ike would address the entire Corps of Cadets to pump them up and practice the songs and yells the cadets would chant throughout the game.

For decades, a number of Tufts players came up to Eisenhower and apologized for this career ending injury. So many, that Eisenhower later joked that he seems to have forgot how many people were really in that game. Likewise, many years later both Eisenhower and Jim Thorpe were asked about the other as a player on the field. Eisenhower replied that “Here and there, there are some people who are supremely endowed. My memory goes back to Jim Thorpe. He never practiced in his life, and he could do anything better than any other football player I ever saw.” In the mid-1950s when Jim Thorpe was asked if he remembered playing President Dwight Eisenhower in the 1912 game, Thorpe grunted and gave a guttural “Good linebacker”.

So did Thorpe almost cause Eisenhower to quit? Of course not. Thorpe was, however, a key part of Eisenhower’s development that made him into the man that would ultimately win WWII and The Presidency.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football

Last edited by smotan_02; 07-25-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Ike v. Thorpe

Great read. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:42 AM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Great read. Thanks for posting.
I`ll 2`nd that, very interesting especially for an Army fan like me.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:21 PM
B€nj@Min J@m€s

Scott,
Thanks for the post.
I live in Wichita about an hour away from Abilene,KS where Ike grew up.
Wife and I run the Eisenhower 5k race every year and spend the day shopping and hanging around the town. Visited the Library and the original house Ike and his family lived in. Small town USA. Nice little place for a weekend get away.

Last time I was there I picked up the book "Carlisle vs. Army" by Lars Anderson.
Great read! I think you would like it.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 PM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengineno9 View Post
Scott,
Thanks for the post.
I live in Wichita about an hour away from Abilene,KS where Ike grew up.
Wife and I run the Eisenhower 5k race every year and spend the day shopping and hanging around the town. Visited the Library and the original house Ike and his family lived in. Small town USA. Nice little place for a weekend get away.

Last time I was there I picked up the book "Carlisle vs. Army" by Lars Anderson.
Great read! I think you would like it.
Benjamin,
Incredible book and really the meat behind what I wrote above. Thank you for the recommendation. I continue to be impressed with his drive and tenacity. A true warrior scholar.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 07-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Scott Russell

Related note:

Guess who finished 5th in the 1912 Olympic Pentathalon?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Related note:

Guess who finished 5th in the 1912 Olympic Pentathalon?
Patton
Old 07-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Patton
Patton competed in the modern pentathlon, a different event from the pentathlon which Thorpe won.