NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default OBC - Old Baseball Cards (collecting club)

Old Baseball Cards (OBC), the longest running on-line collecting club, is seeking new members. OBC is different than the other collecting clubs as we trade via “Random Acts OF Kindness” (RAOK) practicing the attitude that “What Goes Around Comes Around” (WGACA). Let me explain:

Most trades are not pre-arranged. If you have a card in your doubles box that another OBC member needs, you simply send it to them (RAOK). When an OBC member receives a RAOK, they post a thank-you on our group email server, then check your wantlist to see if they might have something to send back to you. If they don’t have cards to send back, the person might make a note to look for something for you next time they are at a local show. Meanwhile the other OBC members (130 strong) are searching your wantlist to see what they might have for you (WGACA).

Most of the cards traded within OBC are lower grade 1950s 60s and 70s baseball. OBC members also swap football basketball hockey and non-sports cards. OBC members trade only vintage cards 1980 and earlier. Any mention of newer cards (called UV) is not allowed, although I have been told that there is a “OBC UV Mail Server” where these newer UV cards are talked about

To visit our website, click on our advertising banner here on Net54, or visit oldbaseball.com and read through our “FAQ”. Look at the “Directory” to see “Who is working on what set” and then contact the OBC member via email to accomplish a trade or two. These first couple of traders will assist you in becoming a member of OBC, so be sure to check out the “Apply to OBC” page.

Larry Tipton
(OBC members know me as Guru)
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Jimi

I've been a member for nearly a year now, and it's been a lot of fun. I've met about 20-25 of these guys in person to date! Lots of "old school" RAOKing!

Check us out!

Jimi
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 02-11-2015, 09:18 AM
Tom

Default OBC is great!

Just to add on to what Larry said - most of our members don't care about card conditions. If you aren't condition-sensitive, and the thought of, shall we say, "well-loved" cards doesn't turn you off, then please check out OBC. If you're thinking of applying but you only want NM-Mint cards, then we're probably not what you are looking for.

I've been a member since 2002. I've met many members of the group, and we are like brothers or long-lost friends - even when meeting for the first time. We like the cards, but we are much more than a group of collectors. Check us out at oldbaseball.com & see if we are what you're looking for in a card-collecting group.

Tom
Old 02-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Jason C.

I can't believe I'm approaching five years in OBC--soon to become a grizzled veteran.

I joined OBC with a simple goal of finishing up a Topps run back to 1970. I had pretty much everything 1980 and up, so OBC seemed like a good idea. At the time, I maybe, MAYBE had 200 pre-1970 cards. I was nervous about applying because my dupe box was never all that full, but I was encouraged to join anyway. Early on, I was given the advice that I might want to expand my goal, as the 70's thing wouldn't last too long. It sure didn't. Never in my wildest collecting dreams did I think I could have a legitimate "wantlist" for sets from the 60s or even 50s, but less than five years later here I am. It sure makes the trip to the mailbox fun every day!

One quick story about OBC: this past summer, I was within about 15 cards of finishing my '69 Topps set. Mainly high dollar cards left. A handful of members who were attending the National reached out to the rest of the group to see if there was anything they could look for to help them out. I tossed my list out there, just in case. The show arrives and every hour or so I'd get another text: "got Reggie" or "tracking down a Ryan", or something similar. It was like I was on the floor at the National! They completed that set for me and I think they were just as excited as I was. OBC is truly a special group.

Jason C.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:01 PM

I have been a member of OBC since August of 2005. It is a group made up of members who, although have some diversity in the exacts of our collection, share a common passion for collecting cardboard. We are based on a belief that what goes around, comes around. Our members are more apt to send other members cards to help shorten wantlists, expecting nothing in return. It is a fantastic group, one that is visible at every National. Many times, we meet a member for the first time, but the feel is that we have known each other for ages. If the condition of cards is something that is not terribly important to you, and you like the idea of members sending you cards to help fill your wantlist, please check out our website. My only regret is that I did not find OBC sooner.

TJ
Old 02-13-2015, 04:10 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

You want to complete your sets, but who can afford NM cards? This is one of my favorite off grade beauties. Cost me $30 and a 19*8 Score factory set. Can you see how the previous owner (R.S. I suppose?) wrote Micks name at the bottom like an autograph? R.S. also wrote "My Idol"………Mine too brother!
 photo mick53.jpg
Guru
Old 02-13-2015, 04:28 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Some consider the 1953 Bowman "Peewee" Reese card the greatest card ever produced. I can't argue! Back in 1953, H.W. must have REALLY wanted to make sure his brother knew this was his card! He put "H.W." on the back too!
 photo 53 reese.jpg
Guru
Old 02-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default OBC trading

Larry
OBC great bunch of BB card hobbyists, collectors, traders.

I was a member many yrs ago.... I don't quite agree or recall some of the " club rules" as you state them

Most trades are not pre-arranged . = may be true,but from past experiences. Not a good idea

If you have a card in your doubles box that another OBC member needs, you simply send it to them (RAOK). = Did that..didn't work out all that well for me

When an OBC member receives a RAOK, they post a thank-you on our group email server = true..and very nice the way thats done..lets others know you sent something

, then check your wantlist to see if they might have something to send back to you. = I guess the attempt is sometimes made

If they don’t have cards to send back, the person might make a note to look for something for you next time they are at a local show. = Maybe..but doubt it

Meanwhile the other OBC members (130 strong) are searching your wantlist to see what they might have for you (WGACA). = highly doubt it

Was a member of a few other internet trading clubs..and they seemed to work much better with the main idea of - actually trading cards / figuring out cond and values and making fair trades/ sending scans first/ etc..

Ral G
Old 02-13-2015, 08:43 PM
P*ter Me@d

Default Sorry to hear of your experience

Ralph--

Sorry to hear of your own OBC experiences. We have traded multiple times in the past, but I never knew you had been in OBC. Your time must predate my membership which began in 2002--pretty much a long time ago.

My own experiences are just about the exact opposite of yours. I spent a few days in Detroit this week and had dinner with a few OBCers. Yes, cards traded hands, but I enjoyed relaxing in a sports bar for a few hours talking about our families, and the hobby as much if not more than the cards.

I was lucky enough to win a square in our Super Bowl pool--where cards are sent to the winners, so I returned home to a number of envelopes. It is always pretty cool to get cards in the mail.

I have to believe the OBC of today is a far cry from your own experience.

Happy collecting.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Obc

Hoot,

100% true ! OBC members for the most are great guys.. fair and honest traders..but back when I was in it...those rules were just to painful to understand and accept.
Just way too much giving from my end..and not nearly enough receiving .

It just never made sense to me...send a guy a 62T high #..and someday ,somebody ,somewhere..will probably square up with you ...down the road ?

As you know, I still trade with many guys in that club and all the other internet card trading clubs..and enjoy it a lot

Ral G
Old 02-14-2015, 01:40 AM

Hi Ralph,
I've been a member since 1992 (I guess that makes me one of the old guys), and I'm sorry that your OBC experience wasn't what it should be. I don't remember the years you were there, but it's possible you came in around the time we were expanding at such a high rate, that we had to start to set up some sort of organization or "board" to help us guide through our growth. This was back in the 90s and as with most "clubs" we went through growing pains. I think we have prided ourselves in being flexible and "changing with the times".
I am one of those who scour the want lists of others, looking for something they need. For example, at this year's National, OBCMac needed a 68 OPC Hodges to finish his 60s run. I made it my mission to find it and did. I sent it as an RAOK, not expecting anything back (I wanted to be his "set-killer" lol). But as so often happens with this group, Mac found me one of the Bowman Pee Wee's you see above (Yes Larry, this is my ALL TIME favorite card!). Keep in mind, want lists have something to do with how much "return fire" you get from the group. Many expand their want lists, just to accommodate more activity. If you have just Mantles and high numbers on your want list, you can expect to see less action. (You see the kinds of cards we collect, finances are a factor). And many times you will get surprised by some of the awesome cards that get sent around.
But we go beyond the cards. First timers at the National can tell you they never felt like a stranger when they meet any of us.
Ralph, take a look around, maybe you want to give it another shot. You just may get a welcome back barrage!

Metssoxx (aka Chicod1)
Old 02-14-2015, 03:26 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Ralph: OBC is not for everyone, that's for sure. Happy Collecting!
Larry
Old 02-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Bob Donaldson

I've been in OBC since 1999, and its the one thing that really got me back into collecting. I remember Ralph when he was in OBC and I'm happy to have continued trading with him since he's left.

As Ralph says, OBC is not for everybody. Especially if the thought of sending out cards to someone unannounced with the possibility of getting nothing in return bothers you. Keep in mind that there is plenty of trading for higher grade cards, especially pre-war. But the bulk of what we do is RAOK (Randon Acts Of Kindness). To me it just simplifies things, every few days I get an envelope of 4-5 cards, usually in VG or less to some of my sets. Every so often I hit the wantlists and send out 8 or 9 similar packages to other OBCers. A lot easier than emailing back in forth to come up with an "even" trade. Some guys I've sent to have sent me very little (or nothing) back. Some guys have sent me more than I could ever send them in return. It kinda evens out in the end. After all its only cardboard. In that I think its great, add in the local meet ups with Boston ara OBCers at local shows and even better 25+ OBCers at the National, and its that friendship and camaraderie that really makes OBC special

Check it out!
Old 02-14-2015, 10:08 AM

Default old baseball cards

I have been a member of OBC for going on 10 years or so and even though I belong to 3 other trading groups and a couple of the forum sites, I consider OBC to be my primary link to cards.

The members of OBC are like a big family that spans the entire north american continent and over the pond as well. we cherish the emails from our freinds that tell us that they just got engaged, or that they had a baby or a grandkid. we comiserate with our freinds when we get an email telling us of a hardship that has occurred within there freinds and family.

I swap cards with guys within the group, pre-arranged "trades", I put out a list of cards that have accumulated on my desk as a waiver wire offering. I have put out a mass mailing at christmas time of over 100 christmas cards with a card or three enclosed. I have no ending trades going with a few of the guys where he sends and then I send back.. this is all done because I like to do it.

We talk about the random acts of kindness (RAOK) and that is a huge part of what OBC is about. plenty of times I get cards in the mail from guys in the group who know that I wont have anything to send them back, but they enjoy helping someone along with their collections, thats where the phrase what goes around comes around, because whenever I see a cool card or two I try to pick them up, I might be able to hit those guys lists, and if not then I can find someones list that can use them.

OBC is not for everyone, thats why there are many other avenues for trading and swapping cards. but if any of you enjoy baseball card collecting the way you did it as a kid then this group may just be for you.

thanks for the read and everyone stay warm.

JD
Old 02-16-2015, 11:43 AM
John Harrell

Default Obc

I've been a member of OBC since 1997 and it's the only card group I've ever been involved with. The RAOK philosophy was what hooked me. I was very busy back then with work and kids and didn't have time to sit down with a price guide to figure out what some 65 Topps common was worth and then based on someone's description of what they had, try to agree on a "fair" trade. My philosophy was "I have a bunch of dupes sitting in shoe boxes, many of which are low grade. Why not send them to somebody who can use them and, without fail, something would find its way to my mailbox. No one expects somebody to send out graded, high dollar cards (although occasionally that happens) and I have arranged some high dollar trades on my own, but for the most part the "what goes round, comes around" philosophy of the group has worked for 24 years.

John
Old 02-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Er1k Greeñ.w00d

I have been a member of OBC since 2000. I have been both beneficiary and benefactor in our respective cardboard quests. Being on the west coast, I have had limited opportunity to meet up with OBC'ers, but I have managed to meet about 16 colleagues over the years.

OBC is a great bunch of collectors. It is a group that you have to resolve yourself of either a) I will never be able to square up with a RAOK or b) I will send something without any preconceived notions of reciprocation.

Erik Greenwood
Old 02-16-2015, 05:54 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Been a member for nearly 25 years now!!

OBC is about cards and camaraderie.

As to cards, I honestly am not sure if I am up or down card wise and frankly don't care. If I have something and you need it, I send it. I love opening my mailbox and finding OBC packages and the surprises within.

But it is more than just a trading group...I have been to OBC weddings, and had OBC guys at my wedding. Group trips, charity work, and meet ups are the best. When I first started I was 18 years old and was traveling the country. I was put up by OBCers in many different cities over the years. Heck, I was treated to pizza and beer in Scotland by an OBC member!

If you are looking for mint cards...look elsewhere. OBC is about the cards we grew up with, held, played with, traded, etc. Most of my collection hovers around g-vg+ condition and I am more than fine with that.

I encourage people to check out the website and fill out an application if you want to...

I want to thank Leon for his support over the years as well.

Joshua Levine
proud OBC member for nearly 25 years!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Obc

This OBC ..its a cult I tell you ! ..its a cult !!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 AM

Haha Ralph!
Yes, first we fill you with greenies (1962), then take you to the dark side, then the white side and maybe the cream side (1960). We'll torture and confuse you with numbers of rookie cards (are they 1962 or 1963 rookies?), We'll throw colored dots in front of your eyes (1963 Checklists). We'll see if you can spell "Baker" (1957) or Luis (1961), or BRAVES (1967). Then one day, we may torture your mailman with loads of get well (what we call "the healing power of cardboard") cards. You may hear voices like Ray saying "Bob I am your fatherrr, and Brett and Aaron, I am your Grand-Fatherrrrr" (The Boones).
This is one cult I am very happy that I drank the kool-aid from and on many occasions, with!
Come back to the "card side" Ralph !
Old 02-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default O b c

and if you play that Beatles song backwards...I think they speak of OBC

and look at this Sgt Pepper jacket...whats that patch on the arm sleeve ?...it says - O B C !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg srg pepper.jpg (26.1 KB, 201 views)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Wes

I marvel at the comaraderie in the group, or should I say, cardboard family. I've previously only seen such brotherhood in the U.S. Army... The group is diverse, bonded by a common love of old cardboard, and human spirit. ... My favorite thing about the lower grade cards we collect, is to imagine what they've been through. Just like at Christmas or birthdays, I like to send cards more than I like to receive.

Wes

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 AM
Jay T.

I'm the newest member in OBC.

Joining OBC required a leap of faith. It sounded like a good idea but are the returns worth it? I took the leap. I've seen a wide variety of cards already, mostly around Vg condition (some better, some worse), hall of famers, commons, oddball hits, you name it. So many that it is difficult to keep up.
Many dupes that I own have gained new relevance as others now need them. I suppose it may slow down a little but from what I can see, I believe it will have some staying power for a long time.

What I've noticed with the OBC members are the diversity of their collections and their devotion to the philosophy RAOK (Random acts of kindness). The collectors in OBC have some serious collections. They have been very welcoming to me, both in spirit and in what they send. Cards that I discounted as being too difficult to pursue have suddenly made my wantlist. Do I expect to get those from anybody? I don't expect anything. But it sure is a nice surprise finding stuff every day in your mailbox.

Also, there is a reward in finding someone needing three or four to complete a set that they have worked for years on and sending them what they need. There is a reward in trading with others for something you don't have. There is a reward looking for a great lot knowing that you may be able to help someone else. I can't tell you how great a reward it is to come home every day with a card or two in your mailbox and seeing your wantlist shrink. All of these have their rewards. The hobby is not rewarding in only one way. The devotion to the hobby of the OBC members and their constant flurry of activity keeps the hobby alive. I've noticed quite a few on here.

I can say this. If you collect for the joy of the hobby, this club captures that spirit. It's taken me back to when I used to flip cards or gave a friend of mine the 1975 Steve Garvey he needed to complete his favorite team set. Its taken me back to giving free packs of 1990 Topps wax away to kids at shows. Its about the fun parts of the hobby, not the business side. This club is not built on price guides. Its built on generosity, the hobby itself and the joy of belonging to a group of collectors who are simply "just nice guys".
Though I've yet to meet any of my fellow traders, I expect to.

I'm glad I took the leap of faith! I should have done it years ago.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Ed Hutchinson

I also am a relative newbie to OBC, joining after the National, which I was convinced was going to be my last show.

I had collected modern cards, and only dabbled in vintage for a while. I was so tired of over priced boxes, 2.00 "hits" and crappy cards of guys who would never make AA, let alone the big leagues.

I met up with a bunch of the OBC guys, some I knew from other boards, but most I had never met...and I had the most enjoyable hobby time in my life. Besides the cards, which were great, the friendships formed almost instantly.

As far as RAOKs go- this is how I like collecting. To many people, the value is the thing. To me, the collecting is the value- and meeting people who feel the same way makes the hobby fun. I daresay without the OBC meet up at the National, I would not be on this forum, or any other, as I would have walked away from the hobby. And what a shame that would have been.

Ed Hutchinson
Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 PM
J0hn Collin$

I was an OBC member for probably about 3 steady years in the early 2000's, and then off and on again for another year or so before finally deciding to give it up shortly after finishing grad school a decade ago.

If you are concerned purely about the cards and the condition, OBC is not for you. I was actually very much concerned about these things, but joined OBC at a time when I was actively buying and selling mid- to higher grade cards through other outlets as well. OBC for me was a way to expand the comraderie aspect of the hobby as well as meet some folks online and get some different perspectives. The "random acts of kindness" I did find to be more or less true. I had come to know of OBC from another online club (VCT) where trades seemed to be arranged in more detail in advance, so some of this took a while to get used to. In the end I thought it was more or less fair, though I did find some difficulty occasionally when I actually tried to arrange a trade rather than just shipping cards off without worrying about it. In the end, I left OBC because I had just changed jobs, was starting a family and had less time and money for the cards in general, much less the ability to spend the proper time looking through the want lists of others to be able to send stuff out and pull my fair weight in the club. There were no rules as such or certainly any formal tabs on keeping up and doing your share, but I felt bad about it - and rather than just continue to sit back quietly and take cards without doing anything in return, I quit.

If you are looking for true fellowship among hobbyists, OBC is a great place. People literally do become lifelong friends there. I could never step it up quite that much. I will say if I were still single, less busy at work, or just had just a ton of time on my hands otherwise that would likely get plunged back into the hobby - I would consider rejoining OBC. I do think to really do it justice it does require a certain dedication of time, though.

-John
Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Mark T.

Thumbs up On the OBC Bandwagon

I’ve been in OBC since July 2000 and I have enjoyed many experiences while a part of the group. Enough guys have chimed in so I will do my best not to be redundant. Let me tell you about the OBC Swap meet at the National.

Imagine if you will 25+ guys hangin’ out chewin’ the fat pawing through everybody’s dupe boxes to find some cardboard gold, hollering out card numbers and literally throwing cardboard throughout the room. Some guys are pulling cardboard for someone who could not make it to the National and an auction is going on but the only acceptable bid is nothing – just stick your paw up and say I need that one and it comes your way. The pizza comes, more jawboning and collectibles fly – before you know it 4 hours have past, you’ve been forced to start 5 new sets and as much as you tried to leave with less than you came with it just never works out that way. To your amazement fans of the Tigers, Indians, Mets, Reds, Cards, Dodgers, Red Sox, Stankees and just about any team that’s hit the diamond can peacefully co-exist in this environment. It’s just a great night of camaraderie that is the highlight for my annual pilgrimage to the National year after year.

It was to this “event” that I invited Ed (a few posts ago) to, we had met through another trading group but I think that evening re-invigorated the hobby for him. You see OBC is a card collecting group but it really is more about the friends we make along the way and sharing our love for the hobby. It’s already been said “OBC is not for everyone” and it’s very true if you’re into collecting slabbed beauties and only 9’s or 10’s will do then we at OBC can offer you advice on how to liberate the cardboard from the plastic tomb but are likely to be able to help you with your collection. On the other hand, if you wish to return to the candy store steps where you ripped wax, stuffed your mouth with gum, flipped, traded, stuck a couple in the spokes of the bike and the rest in your back pocket –and those cards in “well loved” condition remind you of the friends you collected with then maybe you might want to check us out and the guys we collect with now.

See us at: www.oldbaseball.com

BTW – Ralph I have always enjoyed trading with you and will continue to do so whether you drink the OBC kool-aid or not. BE WELL!!!!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:29 AM
Glenn

Default An OBC Ramble

OBC is certainly a unique group in the world of card collecting. The "What goes round comes round" concept would definitely be tricky for some to get their head round, and as has already been stated its not for everybody. However, the satisfaction of helping out a fellow collector often outweighs the monetary "value" of a trade. Its easy to underestimate the feel good factor.

The cameraderie aspect of OBC is another big big plus factor. Whether its welcoming fellow members into your home, getting together at a game, meeting up for a bite to eat, or bombarding members who are in need of a good "pick-me-up" with cards in their time of need ("the healing power of cardboard"), OBC and its members always step up to the mark and never fail to amaze me.

As you can imagine, my own experience in OBC has been hugely positive. I've been a member since 1997, and the amount that I've learned about the hobby, the experiences I've had, the people I've met, and the encouragement they've given me to start new sets all add up to make me feel a part of the OBC "family".

There is no doubt in my mind that I have had more from OBC than I've managed to give back. I should add that right throughout my OBC life, I've lived in Scotland. My inability to "re-stock" regularly due to my location and ever rising postal and import tax costs has meant that I've not been able to return fire to my fellow members in recent years nearly as much as I would like. This is a real cause of embarrassment to me, and makes me appreciate the occasional envelope that drops through my mailbox even more. Despite my rather remote location, I've had the opportunity to meet dozens of OBCers over the years. I always seek them out when I visit the States, and they look for me when they head my way (I think I've met about 12-15 guys and their families right here in Scotland!). We've golfed, shared a dram or two, ate pizza, told stories (some taller than others!), BBQed, cajoled, supported, argued (of course that happens!!), comisserated, and even swapped a card or two along the way.

OBC is an amazing group. Not for everybody but, if you can adjust your card collecting/trading philosophy appropriately, it has the potential to really enhance your hobby experience.

Glenn
Glasgow, Scotland
Old 02-20-2015, 09:21 AM
P*ter Me@d

a friendly bump:

take a look--at the very least find some new trading partners,

http://www.oldbaseball.com
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Tom

Default Pardon the bump

Just another friendly bump. :-)
Old 03-18-2015, 07:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by obctom View Post
Just another friendly bump. :-)
Did you guys find some new blood? I am not planning to collect those sets, but I do have about 100 1969 Topps cards that I can mail to someone who needs some fillers and who feels like their trade box is thin. Love the idea.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Br3tt K0llin

I've been thinking about joining....just need to go through the process after reading up on the website.

Sounds like this is right up my alley as I almost exclusively collect "beaters". I have an appreciation for the high grade stuff but even if I didn't have competing hobbies that eat into my available budget, I'd still probably collect lesser grade cards. A lot less stress/drama if you ask me, and I still get the same enjoyment!

Swarmed- may be interested in working something out with you for some/all of those 69s. That is one of the sets I'm trying to complete. It's actually the first 'older' set I started working on 25 years ago (started by collecting the Pilot team set and decided to try for the whole thing). Just started to get back into it the past couple of years and am finally making decent headway (also making a good dent in 70/71 as well).
Old 03-19-2015, 05:58 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

A couple other reasons to apply for OBC membership:
Girls REALLY like our OBC hats!
 photo photo.jpg
Old 03-19-2015, 06:02 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

#2 Membership includes FREE and UNLIMITED submissions to "Gurus Grading Service" (GGS)
 photo stan.jpg
Old 03-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
#2 Membership includes FREE and UNLIMITED submissions to "Gurus Grading Service" (GGS)
 photo stan.jpg
The smaller picture must be older. He doesn't have the stitches or scars on his forehead or cheek yet.
Drew
Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Grant Rainsley

Cool

As much as I appreciate having alternative grading services available, I do find GGS inconsistent at times. (Sorry, Guru). I can't for the life of me figure out why this one got hammered on so badly. Possibly a candidate for a re-submit, with any luck I will catch Guru on a better day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GGS Hoeft.jpg (75.4 KB, 138 views)
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM

Default Obc

I kind of gave it a try. Found it to be a good ole boys club. People who wanted a lot and would give trash in return. One member wanted Cracker Jack and T206 HOFers as well as tough 1950's type cards. So I wrote him telling I had some items he wanted and asked what he had to trade. He responded by saying he was interested in my prewar HOFers and had lower condition 1974 Topps commons to trade for them. I have traded with some members and they were great (OBC Mac, Andy Cook), others were a bad experience ( hi Brian).
Old 03-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecRich View Post
I kind of gave it a try. Found it to be a good ole boys club. People who wanted a lot and would give trash in return. One member wanted Cracker Jack and T206 HOFers as well as tough 1950's type cards. So I wrote him telling I had some items he wanted and asked what he had to trade. He responded by saying he was interested in my prewar HOFers and had lower condition 1974 Topps commons to trade for them. I have traded with some members and they were great (OBC Mac, Andy Cook), others were a bad experience ( hi Brian).

To all members please remember this rule which is posted at the top of every page and in bold letters-

"If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post."

ps...I should add, the OBC guys are some of my favorite in the hobby. I am not one as I only collect really, really obscure stuff, and honestly don't have the time......but I only have good things to say about almost every one of them I have met. Just like any organization with hundreds or thousands of members (I don''t know how many OBC'ers there are), there will be a few members that don't have the same mindset as the rest.

Last edited by Leon; 03-21-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecRich View Post
I'm sorry you had a bad experience; but as a member since 2002, I can say that experience is the rare exception to the way OBC operates. Sure, some people don't quite embrace the RAOK philosophy - such as whoever you dealt with - but I can honestly say that I have never encountered such an example.

I respectfully disagree with the "old boys club" characterization. While many of us have known each other for years (and may see each other once a year at the National if we are lucky), I feel we embrace new members eagerly. Here's an example: at the National this past year, we met with a VCT member who lived nearby. He was invited to our Saturday night get-together (aka the "swap session", although there are never any trades, just Random Acts of Kindness); he had such a good time with us that he joined OBC a couple of weeks later & by his own admission loves the group.

So, yes, OBC isn't for everyone. And sometimes - very rarely - someone has a bad experience. But it is a great group to belong to (and thanks, Leon, for your kind words).

To the poster who had the bad experience, I think I speak for all of OBC when I say we are truly sorry you went through what you did, but please don't paint the entire group with the same brush.

To anyone else still following this thread, please check us out at www.oldbaseball.com. Even if we aren't your particular cup of tea - and that's OK too - you may find a member or two whose collecting goals match yours; reach out and see if you can arrange trades if you'd like to.

And at the very least, have some fun reading our OBC Slang Dictionary & looking through the gallery of well-loved cards a.k.a Tiptons! We also have some nice features on the website, such as set checklists under the "Library" tab, as well as a nice cut & paste list of numbers you can use when creating your wantlists.

Tom Housley
OBC member since 2002