NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Default Can you trust any authenticated babe ruth ball?

I am not a big memorabilia collector, although there are plenty of pieces I would love to add. The one I've always dreamed of is a Babe Ruth autographed baseball. I discussed this with another card collector / net54 member who told me he wouldn't trust any Babe Ruth signed ball, including those authenticated by PSA, JSA, SGC, or anyone else. He pointed out this article as proof.

I know there are a lot of experts on this site, so I'm curious as to what you guys think. Here is a link to the article this member sited as evidence of his position:

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=39987#more-39987
Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Ruth single signed balls are absolutely a mine field, especially ones in top condition.

There are certain long time dealers whose opinion you should absolutely value above those of the major authentication companies. Jim Stinson, Richard Simon, Richard Albersheim...there are others but those three off the top of my head I would trust with a single signed Ruth.

You need to be very careful with these, especially so for examples in top condition (not that they are "more forged" but rather because of the outlay and expense).

Tom C
Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Brendan Mullen

Can you trust it? Of course you can. However, the best way to be sure is to post a picture on here before you buy it and most autograph experts would be happy to help. Once you get the hang of it, Ruth's autograph is fairly easy to decipher as being genuine/not genuine.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Ruth single signed balls are absolutely a mine field, especially ones in top condition.

There are certain long time dealers whose opinion you should absolutely value above those of the major authentication companies. Jim Stinson, Richard Simon, Richard Albersheim...there are others but those three off the top of my head I would trust with a single signed Ruth.

You need to be very careful with these, especially so for examples in top condition (not that they are "more forged" but rather because of the outlay and expense).

Tom C
+1 I would also put Kevin Keating on this list of dealers to trust their opinion.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post

Tom C
Thanks for the kind words.
I have not owned a Babe Ruth baseball in a long time. Every owner of one sends it to an auction. It then goes to the TPA's and if you have read the HOS story you know what has been happening then.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Rob

The auction house/authenticator relationship is a little too cozy for me.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

Thanks for the responses. This is the ball I am considering:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth ball.jpg (67.3 KB, 424 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
The auction house/authenticator relationship is a little too cozy for me.
++++
I have authenticated for three auction houses.
Two of them were easy to work with and never pressured me on items.
One of them was always looking over my shoulder and if I rejected an item they were all over it with "oh, we got this from so and so."
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-04-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Brendan Mullen

Slightly atypical in that the U intersects with the R, but good. A pre-1928 autograph obviously.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:30 PM
John E.

Probably common knowledge, but is there a timeline on when he stopped putting Babe in quotes? Is that what you mean by pre-1928?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Brendan Mullen

Yes. He generally stopped using them in 1928.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:55 PM
je.sse @rnot

Thanks for the input and information.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Great thread and advice.

I would absolutely love one of these also, but been scared out of my mind to buy something that I neither know much about, nor trust the TPGs.

I'll save this one.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I really like that one. The ball has normal, even wear. Signature is easy to read and is not a "perfect" example like the master forger was easily able to replicate over and over again.

Was wondering.....with the past high prices paid for these "perfect" fakes, are the prices inflated? In one sense yes. But then again, the real signatures may now raise in price.

Last edited by egbeachley; 01-06-2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Wondering....
Old 01-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default The problem is..

Nobody has got it right all of the time. I would love to have one too but damn...

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 01-07-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:18 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Does anyone have a rough idea as to what percentage were actually signed by his wife? I've heard that those are, for better or worse, considered legit?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Jeff P0tter

I don't think anyone considers the Claire Ruth ghost autographs legit. They are pretty easy to spot once you learn what to look for, and for the most part show up mainly late in life when his health was failing. You see them more on photos and specifically smaller postcard sized photos that were being sent out through the mail to autograph requesters in the later 1940s.

Last edited by ATP; 01-06-2016 at 09:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old 01-06-2016, 09:49 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
I don't think anyone considers the Claire Ruth ghost autographs legit. They are pretty easy to spot once you learn what to look for, and for the most part show up mainly late in life when his health was failing. You see them more on photos and specifically smaller postcard sized photos that were being sent out through the mail to autograph requesters in the later 1940s.
Thanks, Jeff. Good to know.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Ruben

All i know is that i bought a Ruth/Gehrig/Bengough ball in the REA 2015 auction which was authenticated by JSA. Since i've had the ball i sent it first to Global and they gave it the thumbs up. Then the ball went to PSA and they also gave it a thumbs up. I did not disclose to any of the TPG that the ball was previously authenticated.
Had done my research prior to bidding but still wanted to have the comfort of knowing all the TPG agreed on the authenticity, and they have.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I think you are better off to do like you did if you want a legit Ruth and get his auto on a team or multi-signed ball, less likely to have all the sigs forged as opposed to just one. Odds are 10 times higher it's legit then a single signed one.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
All i know is that i bought a Ruth/Gehrig/Bengough ball in the REA 2015 auction which was authenticated by JSA. Since i've had the ball i sent it first to Global and they gave it the thumbs up. Then the ball went to PSA and they also gave it a thumbs up. I did not disclose to any of the TPG that the ball was previously authenticated.
Had done my research prior to bidding but still wanted to have the comfort of knowing all the TPG agreed on the authenticity, and they have.
First off, this thread should be moved to the autograph section

Secondly, GLOBAL is about as bad as it gets. A global cert on anything would make me think there was a greater chance of it being bad than good.

JSA and PSA nods will at least protect you from losing your ass as far as investment. If you are happy with it, it sounds like you have a winner.

Personally, I would never buy a ball unless it could be traced back(directly) to Ruth's hand and had JSA and PSA nods. They are just too much money to risk and there are so many other things to buy without authenticity issues.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 01-07-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:48 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
First off, this thread should be moved to the autograph section

Secondly, GLOBAL is about as bad as it gets. A global cert on anything would make me think there was a greater chance of it being bad than good.

JSA and PSA nods will at least protect you from losing your ass as far as investment. If you are happy with it, it sounds like you have a winner.

Personally, I would never buy a ball unless it could be traced back(directly) to Ruth's hand and had JSA and PSA nods. They are just too much money to risk and there are so many other things to buy without authenticity issues.
I didn't notice the autograph sub forum until just now. I spend most of my time on net54 in the card forums. I do appreciate the advice though and will post in the proper section next time.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:00 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
....Secondly, GLOBAL is about as bad as it gets. A global cert on anything would make me think there was a greater chance of it being bad than good....
+1...Exactly my thoughts.