NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-16-2017, 03:22 PM
RayBShotz RayBShotz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 829
Default Vintage Autographed Card Thread

Didn't know if there was anything ongoing here so I thought I would start one.

A recent addition to my 1952 Topps set effort.
RayB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52TLipon089SignedSGCAUT.jpg (76.6 KB, 221 views)
__________________
Legacy Board Member Since 2009. Dozens of successful transactions here on Network 54. Buy/Trade with Confidence.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 3,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
Didn't know if there was anything ongoing here so I thought I would start one.

A recent addition to my 1952 Topps set effort.
RayB
I only have one signed 52 Topps card, Ray, and it's hard to believe (imo) that no one scooped it up before I did?

It's a somewhat popular card but maybe it's the pencil signature, or maybe it's nothing at all, but I'm glad I won it.
(Thought I took a scan of the flip? It's also a PSA authenticated card)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charley Maxwell.jpg (64.5 KB, 205 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is online now
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,454
Default

Love the 52s!
__________________
SIGNED 1952 Topps

"Trolling Ebay right now"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Zach Wheat Zach Wheat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,225
Default

Nice cards Ray & Irv. Unlike collecting the regular '52 Topps - the signed versions have their own perceived rarities. I am starting to realize how difficult it is to collect the majority of a signed '52 set.

Is there a price guide for signed versions? This would yield some clue as to the rarities.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-17-2017, 10:04 AM
RayBShotz RayBShotz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Nice cards Ray & Irv. Unlike collecting the regular '52 Topps - the signed versions have their own perceived rarities. I am starting to realize how difficult it is to collect the majority of a signed '52 set.

Is there a price guide for signed versions? This would yield some clue as to the rarities.
The best way to gauge rarity with signed52T starts with the DOD. (Date of Death). The further back our cardboard heroes DOD goes the lesser likelihood that they would have signed a lot of original 52T cards (Reprints aside).
Those individuals from this set who died in the last 20 years and are a part of the low number grouping are reasonably easy to get as the hobby for signed cards has exploded. Mind you they are still not cheap and will carry a premium over most ungraded cards (condition considered).
HOF'ers are another matter. Most are pricey.
Lastly; high numbers are really tough. Their original scarcity combined with the fact that most collectors of this set balk on buying them to try and get them signed has left the marketplace thin on available examples.
All this added to the fact that most players are now deceased, makes this venture a very challenging one.
There is a great article on this subject in a recent PSA SMR Magazine.
Here's a little more eye candy:


Lastly; this thread was meant to provide a space for recent signed acquisitions from any vintage set. Please feel free to share anything at all.
RayB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52TBerra.jpg (68.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 52TFeller.jpg (59.1 KB, 168 views)
__________________
Legacy Board Member Since 2009. Dozens of successful transactions here on Network 54. Buy/Trade with Confidence.

Last edited by RayBShotz; 08-17-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-17-2017, 10:24 AM
jb217676's Avatar
jb217676 jb217676 is offline
JB
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The 6
Posts: 2,330
Default

Here's a few post war beauties:

1953 St. Louis Browns Team Issued Postcard signed by Don Larsen
1956 Pittsburgh Pirates Team Issued Postcard signed by Bill Mazeroski
1957 Cleveland Indians Team Issued Postcard signed by Roger Maris
1957 Washington Senators Team Issue signed by Whitey Herzog
__________________
My collection can be viewed at http://imageevent.com/jeffintoronto

Always looking for interesting Baseball & Hockey postcards!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-17-2017, 11:12 AM
ALR-bishop ALR-bishop is offline
Al Richter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 5,169
Default Feller

Ray--variant collectors seem to recognize at least 3 versions of the 52 Feller. Slats in background, no slats in background and very light slats in background. Could just be the scan but I do not see any slats in the one you posted
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-17-2017, 11:38 AM
RayBShotz RayBShotz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Ray--variant collectors seem to recognize at least 3 versions of the 52 Feller. Slats in background, no slats in background and very light slats in background. Could just be the scan but I do not see any slats in the one you posted
Any recognized as particularly tough that would demand a premium?
Luck of the draw here when I bought my raw card originally many years ago. Feller signed mine through the mail.
RayB
__________________
Legacy Board Member Since 2009. Dozens of successful transactions here on Network 54. Buy/Trade with Confidence.

Last edited by RayBShotz; 08-17-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-17-2017, 11:44 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 3,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Nice cards Ray & Irv. Unlike collecting the regular '52 Topps - the signed versions have their own perceived rarities. I am starting to realize how difficult it is to collect the majority of a signed '52 set.

Is there a price guide for signed versions? This would yield some clue as to the rarities.
Thanks Zach. I have read recently how popular signed cards are becoming so when I seen the signed Charlie Maxwell, and adding to the fact I had been trying to get any copy of his card anyways, I ended up getting lucky as I won this one and a few other (unsigned) 52 Topps cards.
I know there are a few on here who collect them, and like the article below reads, they are likely only going to increase in value.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#318f35b67d55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
The best way to gauge rarity with signed52T starts with the DOD. (Date of Death). The further back our cardboard heroes DOD goes the lesser likelihood that they would have signed a lot of original 52T cards (Reprints aside).
Those individuals from this set who died in the last 20 years and are a part of the low number grouping are reasonably easy to get as the hobby for signed cards has exploded. Mind you they are still not cheap and will carry a premium over most ungraded cards (condition considered).
HOF'ers are another matter. Most are pricey.
Lastly; high numbers are really tough. Their original scarcity combined with the fact that most collectors of this set balk on buying them to try and get them signed has left the marketplace thin on available examples.
All this added to the fact that most players are now deceased, makes this venture a very challenging one.
There is a great article on this subject in a recent PSA SMR Magazine.
Here's a little more eye candy:


Lastly; this thread was meant to provide a space for recent signed acquisitions from any vintage set. Please feel free to share anything at all.
RayB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Here's a few post war beauties:

1953 St. Louis Browns Team Issued Postcard signed by Don Larsen
1956 Pittsburgh Pirates Team Issued Postcard signed by Bill Mazeroski
1957 Cleveland Indians Team Issued Postcard signed by Roger Maris
1957 Washington Senators Team Issue signed by Whitey Herzog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Ray--variant collectors seem to recognize at least 3 versions of the 52 Feller. Slats in background, no slats in background and very light slats in background. Could just be the scan but I do not see any slats in the one you posted
Great info and great looking cards guys!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Zach Wheat Zach Wheat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
Any recognized as particularly tough that would demand a premium?
Luck of the draw here when I bought my raw card originally many years ago. Feller signed mine through the mail.
RayB
Is there a preference for grading services when it comes to signed cards?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage HOF autographed card collectors theshleps Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 0 07-16-2017 10:45 AM
Vintage Links update thread Leon Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 19 04-27-2011 02:37 PM
Official vintage card gripe thread Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 32 12-17-2005 01:39 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.


ebay GSB