NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-2017, 10:04 AM
TCMA's Avatar
TCMA TCMA is online now
Andrew Aronstein
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 500
Default Shoeless Bill Jackson?

Pulled this photo from our files yesterday. On the back, Paul Thompson has him identified as "Bill Jackson." There actually was a Bill Jackson who played for the White Sox in 1914 and 1915 but only appeared in 76 games. If this is in-fact Joe Jackson how could Paul Thompson misidentify him? That seems odd.





Lets take a closer look. Clearly, there is a "B" written next to his last name and then the "ill" was added later, with a different writing utensil. In this auction from Heritage in 2015 there is also a "B" on the back of their photo that was crossed out, with "Joe" then written in:

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

This is Bill Jackson, according to Getty Images. Something is amiss, however as Baseball Reference lists Bill Jackson as 5' 11" 160lbs, and Eddie Collins at 5' 9" 175. Hmm:



I think most people are familiar with this image of Joe Jackson, which at first glance looks like it could be the same player and taken on the same day as the original photo I posted above. Looking closely at his belt buckle in both photos it's clear they are in completely different positions and the top buttons of their shirts are also different. Still, it's certainly possible they could just be shots taken on different days.

I'm not saying definitively that our photo is Bill and not Joe Jackson. It just seems odd that Paul Thompson could mix them up and I think it's worth investigating to get a definitive ID:

__________________
Visit TCMA Ltd. on Facebook!

Last edited by TCMA; 09-08-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2017, 03:24 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,815
Default

Simple miswriting. All of us have mixed-up first names in social settings. Maybe he was writing on the back of a pile of photos at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2017, 07:52 PM
JeremyW's Avatar
JeremyW JeremyW is offline
Jeremy W.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 531
Default

Andrew- That is a photo of Joe Jackson, no doubt.

After looking closer, I'm not sure.

Last edited by JeremyW; 09-08-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:32 PM
bgar3 bgar3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: new jersey
Posts: 466
Default

It has been a long time since I got rid of my photo collection, but I remember only being able to identify Conlan's handwriting. Are you sure that is Thomson's handwriting and identification? The photo seems to have come from the Ring archive, maybe the id is from someone there.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 PM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
Pulled this photo from our files yesterday. On the back, Paul Thompson has him identified as "Bill Jackson." There actually was a Bill Jackson who played for the White Sox in 1914 and 1915 but only appeared in 76 games. If this is in-fact Joe Jackson how could Paul Thompson misidentify him? That seems odd.





Lets take a closer look. Clearly, there is a "B" written next to his last name and then the "ill" was added later, with a different writing utensil. In this auction from Heritage in 2015 there is also a "B" on the back of their photo that was crossed out, with "Joe" then written in:

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

This is Bill Jackson, according to Getty Images. Something is amiss, however as Baseball Reference lists Bill Jackson as 5' 11" 160lbs, and Eddie Collins at 5' 9" 175. Hmm:



I think most people are familiar with this image of Joe Jackson, which at first glance looks like it could be the same player and taken on the same day as the original photo I posted above. Looking closely at his belt buckle in both photos it's clear they are in completely different positions and the top buttons of their shirts are also different. Still, it's certainly possible they could just be shots taken on different days.

I'm not saying definitively that our photo is Bill and not Joe Jackson. It just seems odd that Paul Thompson could mix them up and I think it's worth investigating to get a definitive ID:

I don't show a Bill Jackson that played for the White Sox. I show a Bill Jackson that played in the Fed Leagues. He played for the Chicago Whales. So pretty sure this is Joe Jackson.
__________________
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:47 PM
TCMA's Avatar
TCMA TCMA is online now
Andrew Aronstein
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I don't show a Bill Jackson that played for the White Sox. I show a Bill Jackson that played in the Fed Leagues. He played for the Chicago Whales. So pretty sure this is Joe Jackson.


You're right! I hadn't looked that closely at Bill Jackson's page on baseballreference.com. He definitely played in the Federal League and not for the White Sox.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Visit TCMA Ltd. on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:48 PM
JeremyW's Avatar
JeremyW JeremyW is offline
Jeremy W.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 531
Default

After further review, I thinks it's Bill.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:52 PM
JeremyW's Avatar
JeremyW JeremyW is offline
Jeremy W.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 531
Default

There's that photo of Bill & Collins together on the Sox.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 PM
TCMA's Avatar
TCMA TCMA is online now
Andrew Aronstein
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
There's that photo of Bill & Collins together on the Sox.


But if Bill Jackson never actually played for the White Sox, as stated above, who is in the photo with Collins?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Visit TCMA Ltd. on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 PM
MrSeven's Avatar
MrSeven MrSeven is offline
Brandon V.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 202
Default

From Getty:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/135192608
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoeless Joe Jackson or not? Shoeless Moe Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 11 05-10-2016 07:28 PM
Is this Shoeless Joe Jackson? Shoeless Moe Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 8 09-13-2011 01:14 PM
Shoeless Joe Jackson Axe OT henson1855 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 01-17-2011 11:02 PM
Shoeless Joe Jackson mintacular Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 38 12-16-2010 11:28 PM
Shoeless Joe Jackson Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 68 03-31-2007 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


ebay GSB