NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:08 AM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,364
Default

I take joy in preserving history and collecting autographs, so long as you aren't destroying something in your pursuit, is a great way to preserve the history of the game, it's players, and your own history because there will always be certain pieces in your collection that will be attached to a distant memory.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:18 AM
CooperstownExpert CooperstownExpert is offline
member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFinance7 View Post
Let me offer my two cents. I recently started collecting again (in January) after a 30 year hiatus. When I was a kid, I wrote letters to baseball HOFers and was able to get a few autographs through the mail. I always remember looking forward to coming back from school and finding one of my SASE in the mail. Some players such as Joe Sewell took the time to write me back. Back then, I always wanted to see how many HOF autographs I could collect and I've always enjoyed the history of the game as well. Fast forward 30 years, and I'm trying to re-live my childhood and pick up autographs and rookie cards that I have always wanted.

Cool website by the way and that's awesome that you were able to find a Ty Cobb check for $40!
Back in the early to mid 1980s Cobb's granddaughter flooded the market with his checks. I think she sold them to dealers for $10!
__________________
Jim Smiley
CooperstownExpert.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:27 PM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperstownExpert View Post
Back in the early to mid 1980s Cobb's granddaughter flooded the market with his checks. I think she sold them to dealers for $10!
A friend of the granddaughter brought 100 checks to NY. He found a local ad of mine.
I paid $20 apiece and got $60 each for them, selling them individually at shows and SCD.
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:59 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 4,357
Default

I don't collect much in the way of autographs, but I do collect a lot of stuff, and not all of it sports.

It took me a long time to become a more "serious" collector. And I'm probably not entirely there yet.

I collect pretty much whatever I enjoy in some way. And I've finally escaped the need for "completeness". Collecting in a couple areas where completeness isn't really possible has helped a lot.

I enjoy stuff for a lot of reasons, Nostalgia, a sense of preserving something I find interesting, especially if it seems nobody else cares at all. And sometimes for a sense of discovery. (My wife says I like the hunt better than the catching, and she may be right)

I've seen a few hobbies get so the better things are out of reach (for me anyway) and the lesser ones are boring.

I do find that everyone who collects eventually takes a brief break to reassess their interests and goals.

Lately I've begun taking some of the stuff I've found and doing a little writeup about why it's special and putting it in a binder. It makes the item a bit more relateable, and more than just some old bit of paper in a box somewhere.

Here's a couple pages I did for a postcard I found in a postcard dealers stock and took a chance on. The hockey stic pic is from another member here, and added a lot to the overall page.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:31 PM
homerunhitter homerunhitter is offline
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 44
Default

Great topic! as ive struggled with this same question for many years. my two cents is, that buying autographs is like buying a brand new car, once you buy it it pretty much loses value. what i mean buy this is how many collectors bought a signed card for one price and then sold it for maybe half on ebay years later? yes, there are exception to the rule of course, but i venture to say that most people dont get back what they put into an item.

secondly, i always struggle with, why buy something and just stick it in a box or album and not look at it for months or even years, seems silly to me.

lately i started thinking,well, we came into the world with nothing, and it is certain that we cant take anything with us, so why buy all these great cards and collectibles if we just have to leave them to someone else that might not want them or might not want to deal with them.

I started selling some stuff and to be honest I kind of like the money in my pocket instead of the items!!!! its nice to buy stuff like a watch, a tv, rims for my cars, a new couch, with the money instead of buying an al kaline autograph or a tom seaver autograph. nice to pay for a nice vegas trip instead of a willie mays or ted williams autograph, nice to buy a new bicycle instead of a hank aaron autograph, nice to buy a nice sewing machine for my wife instead of a eddie mathews autograph, you get the point!

after thinking of all of this, then i start thinking from time to time, how cool it is to buy autographs! so its a roller coaster, up and down, yes and no.i like to collect, i dont like to collect, i like the money, i like the cards..a very tough question indeed!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 AM
CooperstownExpert CooperstownExpert is offline
member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
Great topic! as ive struggled with this same question for many years. my two cents is, that buying autographs is like buying a brand new car, once you buy it it pretty much loses value. what i mean buy this is how many collectors bought a signed card for one price and then sold it for maybe half on ebay years later? yes, there are exception to the rule of course, but i venture to say that most people dont get back what they put into an item.

secondly, i always struggle with, why buy something and just stick it in a box or album and not look at it for months or even years, seems silly to me.

lately i started thinking,well, we came into the world with nothing, and it is certain that we cant take anything with us, so why buy all these great cards and collectibles if we just have to leave them to someone else that might not want them or might not want to deal with them.

I started selling some stuff and to be honest I kind of like the money in my pocket instead of the items!!!! its nice to buy stuff like a watch, a tv, rims for my cars, a new couch, with the money instead of buying an al kaline autograph or a tom seaver autograph. nice to pay for a nice vegas trip instead of a willie mays or ted williams autograph, nice to buy a new bicycle instead of a hank aaron autograph, nice to buy a nice sewing machine for my wife instead of a eddie mathews autograph, you get the point!

after thinking of all of this, then i start thinking from time to time, how cool it is to buy autographs! so its a roller coaster, up and down, yes and no.i like to collect, i dont like to collect, i like the money, i like the cards..a very tough question indeed!

It sounds like you're where I am thinking of going. Wish it was simpler! Great reply by the way.
__________________
Jim Smiley
CooperstownExpert.com
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 PM
shelly shelly is offline
Shelly Jaf.fe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,849
Default

Do not for get the Jackie Robinson checks from Rachel. $50 in the folder.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2017, 04:18 PM
whyconform whyconform is offline
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 100
Default

Listen, we all have hobbies. Autograph collecting isn't my own....I love cars, and modified/raced/showed (not so much anymore). Talk about a depreciating money pit hobby. I also bowl competitively, but point being, people have hobbies to ENJOY.

Now, my gf rides horses. She owns a horse, and pays close to 500 (over with shoes/etc) for board monthly. There is NO way to recoup that money years down the road. It is simply a hobby, fun, and NOT an investment. I don't get it, but to her it's worth every penny.

I enjoy collecting, and love baseball. Owning an autograph collection is like having a small cooperstown, as the items were looked at and touched by the legend. Luckily for people like us, there IS value if you wanted to sell in the future. Knowing what will go up or down is the thing we don't know, but if you do this ONLY for investment purposes, then you're not in it for the right reasons.

For me, as long as I prioritize life, needs, keep it a hobby, and enjoy the chase, I'm happy. At the end of the day, unlike someone who owns a horse, or drinks as a hobby, or ski's, or golfs, or travels, there is Value in the collection should it need to be sold or money gets tight.

The toughest thing for me, is that when things started, I was able to get multiple packages a week, as things were affordable. Now, as needs are expensive, the packages are few and far in between, and you can tend to lose interest.

As long as you treat it as a hobby, I think you're fine. If it is causing financial hardships, or hurting family, then you have to consider what's more important.
__________________
HOF Auto Collection at 246/317 - 77%

Last edited by whyconform; 09-18-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,064
Default

I love collecting anything historical. I get a kick out of having items laying around that were used in games, held by players or even had some other historical significance that wasn't sports-related (Civil War letters, etc).

Like you, I started with cards, but at some point I had handled to excess examples of almost every type, and the allure wore off. Unless signed, they were never touched or seen by players, so they didn't have the same historical magic for me as other items. The really old ones are still interesting as they have had long lives of their own and I'm sure some interesting adventures - can you imagine what the world was like for an Old Judge card, and how it changed over the years (stored in different drawers, handled by different people) until it ended up in its final plastic PSA case?

I am not into amassing items. I much prefer to have a few (or less) fantastic examples of each area I am interested in;e.g - one great Conlon photo, one great Burke, one great Bain, etc. The closest I might come to collecting within a specific area would be to have handwritten letters of the initial HOF class. When I lose interest in something, I sell and sometimes regret it. But the days of having doubts about collecting and getting rid of almost everything, are over.
__________________
$co++ Forre$+

Belltown Vintage Cards Store
BelltownVintage on ebay
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 AM
CooperstownExpert CooperstownExpert is offline
member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I love collecting anything historical. I get a kick out of having items laying around that were used in games, held by players or even had some other historical significance that wasn't sports-related (Civil War letters, etc).

Like you, I started with cards, but at some point I had handled to excess examples of almost every type, and the allure wore off. Unless signed, they were never touched or seen by players, so they didn't have the same historical magic for me as other items. The really old ones are still interesting as they have had long lives of their own and I'm sure some interesting adventures - can you imagine what the world was like for an Old Judge card, and how it changed over the years (stored in different drawers, handled by different people) until it ended up in its final plastic PSA case?

I am not into amassing items. I much prefer to have a few (or less) fantastic examples of each area I am interested in;e.g - one great Conlon photo, one great Burke, one great Bain, etc. The closest I might come to collecting within a specific area would be to have handwritten letters of the initial HOF class. When I lose interest in something, I sell and sometimes regret it. But the days of having doubts about collecting and getting rid of almost everything, are over.
Since you collect handwritten letters of the initial HoF class I thought you might enjoy these.
__________________
Jim Smiley
CooperstownExpert.com
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Type Collecting vs. Collecting wo/Focus vintagebaseballcardguy Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 32 05-16-2017 09:30 AM
Any idea of value? cardsnstuff Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 2 04-06-2017 08:37 PM
I want your idea brewing Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 37 09-19-2013 12:30 AM
Retire (stop collecting) or Work ( continue collecting) Dilemma Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 24 10-20-2008 01:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.


ebay GSB