NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Default Fake 52 Mantle- Maybe you can educate me.

There is a 52 Mantle reprint on ebay. Now to the seller's defense, he has listed it as a reprint because he says he doesn't know for sure and didn't want to list it as authentic if it wasn't, so I certainly don't have a problem with him selling it as "AS IS". My problem is that it looks REALLY GOOD, ALMOST EXACTLY like the REAL DEAL!! I spent about an hour really examining it closely and trying to find all of the things that are red flags for a reprint. The back really looked perfect. I finally spotted why I think it isn't real. It is a Type 1 and it doesn't have the missing pixel at the bottom left corner of the black lines that make up the border. Instead, the black line at the bottom goes past the side line which is wrong to an origional. The bad thing is, (whether or not he is being honest in not knowing for sure if it is real or not,) is that the bid on it is up near $175. It is in a screwdown holder in the pic on ebay.

****MY REASON FOR THIS POST is to ask those who are experts on the 52 Mantle is this: Are there other red flags that should alert me right away that this a fake or is it just a really good, and really scary reprint?
Tim
Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Peter Wilk

I would not buy any 52 topps Mantle raw unless I personally knew the seller or
the seller has high (in the thousands) impeccable feedback. Stick to graded #311's from psa, sgc or Bvg. If there is a I am selling this as a reprint blah blah blah pursuant to eBay rules blah blah blah, you can be certain it is a reprint. You do not need to learn what to look for in the hopes of finding a real one - if it is the real deal the price will be in the thousands and it will be either graded or listed as authentic by a reputable seller.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Ditto

"Not sure if it is real.....blah, blah blah" = it IS fake!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

According to ebay rules, you're not even ALLOWED to sell that card raw. Real or not. Same for a few other cards. There's a list on ebay somewhere of cards that aren't allowed to be sold raw. It includes the t206 Wagner, Cobb, Plank, Magie error, 1951 bowman Mantle, 1952 topps mantle, any Goudey Ruth and a few more that I can't remember.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

If this is the card.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/MICKEY-MANTLE-19...-/220743227135

Its a reprint, and an easy one to spot if you look at the right spots.... take 1/2 second to tell.

The first thing that jumps out is the whole image is washed out looking (light) when compared to the black line around the image.

....best place to look is at the bottom border where the "R" on Mickey uniform touches the black line. Authentic cards the "R" and line are basically the same exact color.

authentic card (google image)
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Jim D

the seller id CampusPolice .... he is even a fake cop!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!