NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 PM

Default FedEx is aweful

I just returned home and found a FedEx package at my front door with a quite valuable card inside. This is probably the tenth time they have done this - left a package requiring a signature on the front porch. The package clearly says "ADULT SIGN". Usually they give a faint knock on the door and by the time I get to the door they are pulling away in their truck, but the package is there. I would never do it, but it is tempting to file a claim that the package never arrived just to make a point. Have others had bad experiences with FedEx? This is more the norm than the exception with me. I knew a package was coming this week and as I drove up, I half expected it to be sitting at the door.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 12-01-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Always glad to vent our bottomless spleen at FedEx, even though our problems with them were in a different vein and go back more than twenty years. We had a lot of occasions then requiring same-day shipment of artwork and/or documents to recipients in other cities. Twice the material did not arrive until the next day. The first time it happened one FedEx rep told us "same day" meant "in the next 24 hours," not the same calendar day, although higher-ups contradicted that. The second time we were told same-day service was not available to the destination city and we (us, not FedEx) "should have known that." That was the last time we ever used them.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 12-01-2009, 04:59 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Same With Me

On more than one occasion I have paid for the service and neither the recipient nor anyone else has signed for the delivery. On at least one occasion of which I am aware, the driver signed for it himself.

Tom Boblitt works for UPS, but he may have an insight into this - I have heard that some or all of the FedEx drivers are independent contractors. Since they technically don't work for FedEx or gain any benefits from them, FedEx doesn't have as much clout making them follow the rules.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Bob Hamlin

I just sold some cards and I am sending them overnight Fed-ex.......should I send the cards needing a signature even if the buyer tells me its not needed? Its a funny situation, I kinda want to send them that way, but if the buyer isnt home, I dont want them to have to run all over the earth to get them from Fed-ex Hub. What to do? It is a board member.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:11 PM

How do you guys insure valuable baseball cards through Fed Ex? Doesn't the back of the airbill limit coverage to $500 for collectibles like rare baseball cards irrespective of the amount of coverage purchased by sender?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Dan Bretta

I've never seen the face of my FedEx driver...always the back of his head as he's running to his truck...Also the driver has never once knocked or rang the bell.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
FredYoung

I quit using FedEX some time ago--used to send & receive from SGC w/ them but no more! USPS Registered Mail gets my cards back to me just as fast & the postman ALWAYS comes to the door for delivery & a sig!

Last edited by GoldenAge50s; 12-01-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Fed Ex is fine if you are sending documents, but it is a terrible way to ship valuables such as baseball cards. I would rather have a package sent to me by registered mail, even if it takes a week to get it. People who use Fed Ex for collectibles are making a mistake.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Bradley Holt

Default UPS over FedEX!!

I've always used FedEx when shipping valuable cards and never had a problem, now that being said I could always use an altrnative service like UPS if needed. I have to admit leaving unsigned package at the door is extremely bad!!!

How do people feel about UPS's service? Maybe it's time to change companies!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Dan Bretta

UPS has never left a package at my door that needs a signature, but they also drop and run. I once caught them leaving about 9 boxes (Hunt auction winnings...nothing real expensive, just one of their huge lots) on the side of my house while I was home. No knock on the door...I came out and asked him what he was doing and he said he tried the front door...that was a lie because my dog would have gone insane had he come to the front door.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Johnny S

UPS leaves packages on my doorstep just like Fedex, the Postal Service does as well unless it has to be signed, then I have to go to post office to pick it up. Once the post office left a d.c. package at the wrong house but luckily I got the package and haven't had anything taken from my doorstep.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I have the same problem with UPS doing the same thing, what really gets me going is when they just leave stuff and its raining. We have complained a couple times to no avail. Fedex is ok but have also been know to leave stuff a few times.

Our postal carrier is great so I use USPS for as much as possible.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I use FedEx almost exclusively and their service, both support people and drivers, is fantastic. I know my driver (as I know my UPS driver) and they are both extremely efficient. I had a card shipped International Registered Mail from the UK in early October. The card arrived in the states on October 14 but I never received it. Unfortunately, it was a unique discovery copy of a Gleason N288. A claim was filed in the UK but no word on what has happened yet. So, I trust FedEx more than registered mail, at least the international variety.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I use FedEx almost exclusively and their service, both support people and drivers, is fantastic. I know my driver (as I know my UPS driver) and they are both extremely efficient. I had a card shipped International Registered Mail from the UK in early October. The card arrived in the states on October 14 but I never received it. Unfortunately, it was a unique discovery copy of a Gleason N288. A claim was filed in the UK but no word on what has happened yet. So, I trust FedEx more than registered mail, at least the international variety.
I don't like your postal carrier Jay. Recall our deal with the Dogs Head pack that sat at your post office for a week when they never left notice of a delivery try.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Bruce C.

I never use FedEx...they only come by the house when most normal folks are working. If they don't just throw the items on the front steps, then I have to go to their center to pickup my items (which they always have trouble finding), and the center usually closes by 5 PM. FedEx is great for business use, just not home delivery.

I came home today to find 3 boxes from UPS on my front steps (wife did some on-line Christmas shopping). 2 problems with this - my daughter was home all day and would have answered the door, and second, we got 6 inches of snow overnight and everything was turning to slush. This is actually an improvement over my normal experience with them, which is we track the shipping to find out it was delivered 2 days earlier. They tend to put them behind our trash cans or shrubs.

USPS is the way to go. I use them all the time and only recently did I have a slight problem. I had 2 registered packages coming back from PSA, and I was home when they "tried" to deliver. I did not receive the little card they usually leave. Went to the post office on Saturday, which has "friendlier" hours than FedEx, and picked them up. My neighbor came by on Monday and gave me the little card that they had put in his mailbox. USPS has never just left something requiring a signature on my steps or behing a shrub. If it's something of value, USPS handles it right.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 PM

I quit using UPS after the "roach motel" incident in which a complete set of graded E98s went in to the Little Rock UPS center and never emerged again. FedEX ground with signature is a pain in the ass (Heritage ships it that way from Dallas here to the Ozarks) but although I have to chase and drive, I've always received their packages.
I still prefer USPS registered and that's how my SGC cards come and is my method of preference on expensive cards.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

The question was raised earlier, but I didn't see an answer for it (or possibly missed it). For Fedex, isn't $500 the limit for insurance on collectibles? For more expensive items, is there any other method to insure these items with fedex?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:58 PM
James Gallo

I have used fedex for years to get all my cards back from SGC. I never have a problem and my driver always knocks. I think all the companines drop and run, but since I am home all day and am usually expecting the pacakge I know it's coming. Plus I know how my dog barks when someone is at the door so that is helpful as well.

I have never had to file a claim with FedEx but I have heard some very bad stories, which is why I have my own insurance :-)

James G
Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Some of the fedex guys are ok, as are drivers from UPS and the post office. There are some that aren't so good just like any business.

I had a fedex guy that left stuff in the rain, it was Ok since it wasn't something that water could damage, but it still bugged me since he ate his lunch on the covered porch at the side of the house. When I complained they said he claimed that he didn't do either thing (I really wouldn't have minded the lunch thing if he'd picked up his wrappers and bags)
They changed their tune when I said that I guessed that meant they didn't want the clipboard and signature sheet back since he hadn't been here!
Yep, he left all the addreses and signatures behind.
A different driver came out pretty quickly to claim it, and the deliveries have been excellent ever since.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Barry Arnold

Default JimB

believe it or not, ole buddy, they have actually left several packages behind shrubs next to the back door, not even under the eaves.
i avoid them like the plague, if at all possible.

best,
barry
Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Barry Sloate

A few people have mentioned that Fed Ex will insure a package up to $500, which is correct. However, I'm willing to bet that if your $500 box gets lost and you tell Fed Ex it was a baseball card, they very well may not pay you. Sounds crazy, but I think it's true. They don't want to be responsible if valuable collectibles are lost.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: FedEx is aweful

You can't beat a PO Box for safety and reliability.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Fed Ex Express apparently treats office and home deliveries very differently. I have items sent to my office and have never had a problem--they always knock or leave a door tag, never drop and run. We have one driver and she does an excellent job (great legs too, which is a plus).

Fed Ex Ground sucks. I get stuff sent to me that way occasionally. The drivers knock and run. Sometimes I can see them out of the reception area window sprinting back to their double-parked trucks as I am going for the door.

UPS is OK, again, for office deliveries. We have had one driver for years on the route and he is great.

When I really want to make sure it gets there (domestic) I use the USPS registered mail system. For stuff where I would not be happy with an insurance payout.

For run of the mill submissions to SGC I send it USPS priority. Very cheap/efficient for cheapo cards going in on $5 specials.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Fed Ex Express apparently treats office and home deliveries very differently. I have items sent to my office and have never had a problem--they always knock or leave a door tag, never drop and run. We have one driver and she does an excellent job (great legs too, which is a plus).

Fed Ex Ground sucks. I get stuff sent to me that way occasionally. The drivers knock and run. Sometimes I can see them out of the reception area window sprinting back to their double-parked trucks as I am going for the door.

UPS is OK, again, for office deliveries. We have had one driver for years on the route and he is great.

When I really want to make sure it gets there (domestic) I use the USPS registered mail system. For stuff where I would not be happy with an insurance payout.

For run of the mill submissions to SGC I send it USPS priority. Very cheap/efficient for cheapo cards going in on $5 specials.
Same here, word for word. (Except Mitch may take the comment about his legs the wrong way)
Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Two thoughts on this thread:

1) Barry S, if you don't say something soon, I will; my eyes are hurting looking at the title;

2) Adam, we really need to get you some help. Do you realize you just admitted that you are checking out the legs of a Fed Ex delivery person? How do you even get past the head/hat?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

Awsome point, Jeff.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post

1) Barry S, if you don't say something soon, I will; my eyes are hurting looking at the title;

2) Adam, we really need to get you some help. Do you realize you just admitted that you are checking out the legs of a Fed Ex delivery person? How do you even get past the head/hat?

Agreed on both counts. Barry must have bitten through his tongue by now.

In our neighborhood, it's the UPS girl that gets all the looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sexy_ups_girl.jpg (70.7 KB, 219 views)
Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:

I'm glad you brought it up first. I'm all for Leon modifying threads in these cases.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Tom Boblitt

SORRY..........LOOOONNNNNGGGGG...........

I've been with UPS for 25+ years and I can honestly say I've never seen her in any of our centers. I would GLADLY go back to operations if I could manage a group of employees such as that conscientious driver.......that aside........

I think the only company that doesn't dump and run is the post office.....anything over $200 or anything sent registered has to be signed for I think. They're actually pretty good about that. Anything over $500 UPS is SUPPOSED to be signed for and I think similar for FedEx.

It's nice to hear someone disparage FedEx for once. Usually it's people piling on UPS. All companies have their issues. UPS delivers about 14 million pkgs per day, FedEx about 6, and the post office much more if you include FCM (First Class Mail). There are going to be issues. UPS has drivers that deliver all types of volume.....Next and Second Day air and ground. FedEx has Express which are the purple trucks that deliver air only. They are employees of FedEx and paid as such. They have FedEx ground which are the green trucks and also includes 'FedEx Home Delivery' which schedules deliveries with you. These folks in the green trucks are independent contractors.

Actually they're employees and treated as such but FedEx skirts all the labor laws.....oops....you guys don't want to deal with that.........

I think you definitely get different service from the Home Delivery/Ground guys at FedEx as I have stuff delivered that way too occasionally. You will pay for it but my thoughts are to ALWAYS have high value stuff shipped through Air services if you're using FedEx or UPS. They are touched by way less people in the process and handled generally better than ground. Premium price for a premium service.

Ed H said use a PO box but remember the only people that can deliver to a PO box are the post office. Both FedEx and UPS will not ship to a PO box even though both carriers are now carrying FCM and Priority and Express mail on behalf of the post office. Maybe someday you'll be able to ship UPS and FedEx to a PO Box but not for the forseeable future.

An alternative that I know Rob D uses is a UPS store or Mailboxes Etc or other type of mail receiving type service that'll receive packages from UPS/FedEx/DHL/USPS/etc on your behalf. It's generally more than a normal PO box--probably 200-300% more--like $15-$20 a month but it might be worth it if you get a lot of stuff and don't want to have to go to your local post office between 0830-1630 to pick up and sign for an insured package OR try to find the local UPS or FedEx office which are typically tucked away in an industrial park in the most out-of-the-way place in your city.

Insurance is a risk--especially on some of the stuff we ship. I'm not completely sold that ANYONE will pay claims quickly and accurately, including Registered mail if there are problems. Outside insurance might be the best way to go if you ship a lot or receive a lot. Not sure what CIA (Collectibles Ins Agency?) or the others do to insure packages shipped or received and how you would file claims with them. Usually with FedEx and UPS, you can insure for more than $500 and have it covered if it's not a one-of-a-kind item or if it can't be replaced. The bad thing with both is that they'll take your package and charge you the insurance but then might deny a claim. If you ever file a claim, never take no for an answer from the first person. They're just like other insurance, you gotta go up the ladder sometimes. UPS uses an outside company to examine packaging and other things in assessing a claim. I'm sure FedEx does as well.

Last edited by autograf; 12-02-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Apology for length........
Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Barry Sloate

I know, the title of this thread is simply aweful...er, I mean awful.

I wish I had carte blanche to correct spelling but I know I would end up making a whole lot of enemies.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Steve Murray

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=aweful
Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

resistance is futile,

Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Barry Sloate

Responding to Tom's post, in the past couple of years I have had two packages lost by USPS, neither registered but both sent first class insured. Each of course had a baseball card in it.

In both cases I filled out the paperwork and was reimbursed in full. In the first instance the post office filled out their end wrong (should I be surprised?), and it took about four months until I received my check. In the second, it went really smoothly and I was paid in under a month, for the full amount of the claim plus the postage, which I hadn't even asked for.

Both were rather small, probably in the $75-150 range. But I was impressed that I was paid both times.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:48 AM

Default Our UPS delivery woman

could give yours a run for the money, Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 211-upsgirl.jpg (40.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Dan Bretta

I just got off the phone with UPS...For three consecutive days now they've put a note on my business door that they tried to deliver. My door has my hours on it - Noon to Midnight 7 days a week. It is completely unacceptable to me that they didn't try to make delivery during my operating hours...This has never happened in 25 years. I've had notes of delivery tries on my door before, but the driver has always showed up later in the day.... I had to call a UPS store in order to find out how to contact my local UPS. The nice lady at the UPS store told me a secret how to actually talk to a live person at UPS.

Dial the 800 number...when the Espanol BS menu comes on hit 0...another menu will come on..hit 0 again and you are immediately connected to a live person. That person was quite helpful and got the message to my local UPS center that I NEED that package today.

I had the same UPS driver for 20 years and he was awesome...this new guy is a complete jerk...our movies are delivered COD and he actually told me that I should have the check written out before he gets there. Since our movies are autoshipped that requires me calling my distributor to find out what the total is which is another phone call that requires me to go through a myriad of button pushing. I just told the UPS driver that I never know what the total is until he shows up...I guess the 20 seconds extra it takes for me to write out a check is too long to wait and now he's making me pay for it??? The local UPS gal I just got off the phone with is going to have his superiors talk to him about making sure he delivers after Noon.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Dave

Jeez, almost 12 years at UPS and I've never seen a woman that worked there who looked remotely like that.

I will say, the women who DID work there and made it for any period of time were workhorses who gave the guys a run for their money as far as work ethic and hustle is concerned.

As far as run & dumps. That's how it's done for house-call routes unless you want to stay out on the road until midnight looking for houses in the dark and catching hell from management the next day and risking your job.

You also would catch hell for the number of non-deliveries..........packages brought back to the building.......so you do whatever you can to get rid of your deliveries.

As far as rain goes, you're supposed to put packages in plastic bags if the weather is a bit foul and you're placing it somewhere it might get wet. If you're placing the package somewhere out of plain site, you're supposed to leave a sticky note on the door telling the customer where the package is.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Do we have any college professors/posters who could correct the spelling in the title of the thread? I'm sure there must be at least one.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Barry Sloate

Jim B. is indeed a college professor...maybe he will fix it at some point.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do we have any college professors/posters who could correct the spelling in the title of the thread? I'm sure there must be at least one.
As much as I loathe seeing the English language butchered, I'd much rather see a misspelled word at the top of the post instead of someone's address and phone number -- because he was slow on a shipment of $185 worth of cards. (Oh yeah, and then have that info remain there even after the transaction was completed.)

But that's just me and my lack of love for the hobby, I guess.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 PM
JeR@Me

Default FedEx, UPS, and the Quasi-Gov't Entity known as the USPS

When I see these threads that bash a delivery company I typically ignore them, but I have to admit when it comes to shipping, FedEx and UPS are very good at what they do. So much so, there is really no other competition. A Classic American Duopoly that has generally great service, but every now and then misses the mark. Both companies have their strengths and both companies are very close in performance. I have no real complaints on either company, and I have experienced a negative issue in the past with both, but over the last 20 years, they both have delivered hundreds of packages to me without an issue.

As for the USPS, they are really good at delivering mail (Letters & 1-5 lb pkgs). They should stick with what they do best...

2 Cents to an off topic thread...
Old 12-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The one thing that I like about Fed Ex is that when you get a tracking number you can actually see the package move across the country to your door. In contrast, I have a package coming to me from a board member since last Friday -- a full week ago. Here's the status as of right now:

Your item was accepted at 2:47 PM on November 27, 2009 in WHITELAND, IN 46184. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Tom Boblitt

Yep........Delivery Confirmation is just an attempt for the post office to collect 60-70 cents on stuff. Until they actually go to a REAL intermediary scanning system, their scanning is laughable. It does confirm delivery IF delivery occurs (and they put the info in the system) though. UPS and FDX both have scanning at every point in the system--actual or virtual scanning and at least it gives you some feeling for where your goods are during the path. They also both have pretty good exception statuses when, for some reason, your package gets off track or has to be held for some reason. Like Jeremy said, overall both do an excellent job but there are definitely issues when you pick up and deliver tens of millions of packages a week.

Plus......Jeremy should know........he's worked for both UPS and FedEx!!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Jeff

Having an absolute blast with Fed Ex right now.

Some items that are for Christmas presents are having a problem getting to my address. First item was delivered with zero problems. Next day another package was to arrive. Waited all day and checked the site after 6PM and it said delivery exception (Unable to locate address - Street name). Hmmm? Didn't seem to have a problem just 24 hours before finding us (they deliver here several times throughout the year).

So wife gets on the phone and calls. Guy says an attempt was made but no one was home. Hmmm? Site says they couldn't find us? Says to call in the morning. Next morning (yesterday) check the site. Shows the two other items we were waiting for are out for delivery. Wife makes another call about the delivery exception. Talks to manager and he says that no problems in delivering all three items yesterday and he guaranteed they would be here by 8PM. Check the site after the call and the two other items are no longer out for delivery but are now tendered to authorized agent for final delivery.

So we wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Oh yeah and wait.

8PM comes and goes and nothing. Well not exactly nothing as a Fed Ex truck did slow down near our driveway around 8:30PM and then kept on going.

Wife gets back on the phone. Lady says well it's still showing that it's in transit so maybe they will still deliver. 10PM and I've had enough and close the blinds and turn the outside light off.

This morning everything still says in transit. Another phone call was made and now just waiting for a phone call from them to hear whatever it is they have to say today.

I've had other issues with them such as leaving a near $200 camera sitting in a puddle on the door step. Box of cards left after 8PM one night and all I heard was a car driving off. Other minor stuff. And this is minor as long as they can get me the goods delivered here without being destroyed but this is extremely frustrating.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Tom Boblitt

FedEx Home Delivery contractor........some good, some bad. Not gonna say UPS would find it every time either--especially if it's off the beaten path. They should contact you though or put something in a file where the driver could call you since you've called them already inquiring...........
Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Jeff

I've had the same delivery driver from UPS for the past 20 years so as far as the local part of that no problems even when the occasional temp driver is on duty. Do have a 3 day select package that was supposed to be delivered today but isn't going to make it (something happened and saying Monday now) but that was free shipping by the website I ordered that item from.

I suppose were a little off the beaten path but we've had other people find us using GPS. Mailbox with street name (well actually road) and number clearly at the roadside plus road is marked with signs at both ends.

And I know that the time of the year isn't helping. The lady that did deliver the other day (she's the regular driver for deliveries in this area) looked as though she was having a great time. She was trying to rearrange the packages that to me looked like she had hit the brakes and everything flew forward.