NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Bill Boyd

Default Surprising Red Wings

Wow, the Red Wings are surprising everyone. And with a lot of young raw talent. This is a great series and fun to watch.

Last edited by billyb; 05-24-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Todd Schultz

No doubt about it--they're hot. Personally I think it's a last hurrah for the current bunch--they need some makeover, particularly on defense. They finished 7th for a reason, and while it was a short season, I'm not sure they make the playoffs at all if they had played the usual 80 games.

The best thing they have going for them is that they're moving to the East. I really think the West is superior in nearly all phases of the game, and it's going to stay that way for at least the short term. I'll put it out there now--whoever wins the West takes the Cup, with one possible exception--Pittsburgh could beat Detroit. They are two similar teams and the Pens have more talent (but less in goal). I think they get worn down by the other three remaining West candidates, but they could and maybe should have enough to beat the Wings.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Bill Boyd

The wings have groomed the grey beards. They have a lot of young talent now, that is what is surprising about this run they are on. No Holstrom, Linstrom and they brought in bertuzzi for a game or two and he has not played the last two or three, they are going with their youth.
The young Defenseman they have, Smith, looks terrific. Great puck handler and has lots of patience with his puck handling.
I am looking forward to the move to the East, and it should bring back the old rivalries between the Leafs and Canadians.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Jeff

As a Blues fan I've long since stopped being surprised by the Red Wings.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Bill Boyd

St. Louis, I am also surprised they got knocked out already, good team.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:53 PM
H Murphy

Until completely falling asleep last nite, really thought the Bruins were going to sweep the Rangers. Want to end this thing Sat. and not give NY any hope. Let`s GO B`s !!!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Bill Boyd

agreed, when you have a team down, don't let them get back up. Boston should handle them ok.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Bill Boyd

Game 5 , Hawks 4-1..........ouch
Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 AM
H Murphy

Thinking the Wings are headed to a game 7, nothing like it in all of Pro sports! Solid win for the B`s, next up Pitts. Going to be a tuff test but i think they`re up to it. Let`s Go B`s !!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Bill Boyd

Murphy,
That is what scares me, I think they are up to it also. If the Wings don't do in six, at home, they will be in deep sh..................kaka.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Bill Boyd

uh-oh, game 7
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Bill Boyd

Wings are in trouble now.

Last edited by billyb; 05-27-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Todd Schultz

Defenseman Smith did not look so terrific as Chicago scored goals 2 and 3 thanks to him in large part. He is young and will get better though.

Game 7 will be a barnburner. I think Datsyuk has one more magical game in him, but the D will need to shore up. They should try and exploit Oduya-- decent offensive threat but a doofus on the blue line--rattle him and he will make some classic bonehead play. Seabrook isn't much better.

Defense will be the key for Game 7, but I'm picking the winner to lose in the next round anyway.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 AM
bi11h00d

Couple of stupid penalties by Hawk veterans Sharp and Hossa made the last ~4 min more of a nail biter than it needed to be. Oduya's brain fart didn't help.

I agree about defense being key in game 7. Seabrook has been a disappointment for much of the season. Teaming back up with Keith might help. Crawford continues to be shaky at times and Hawks make too many stupid plays/turnovers in their own end. Fortunately they seem to have stopped making horrible line changes which have cost them goals in the past (fingers crossed).

Wings did win game 7 in Anaheim so they got that going for them. As well as winning game 2 in Chicago.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Bill Boyd

Wings defense, without Lindstrom, is not that strong either. The Hawks are putting a lot of pressure on the young defensemen and it is paying off for them. Least mistakes is going to win this last game, I hate to say it, but I think Hawks are going to pull one out of the fire.
The only thing going for the Wings is they went through one game seven already, on the road. That and the Euro Twins are going to have to have one great game.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 AM
H Murphy

Hawks will come out flying and try to take advantage of home ice crowd. If the wings can hold off the initial charge and maybe score the 1`st goal I actually like there chances. The wait is a killer but got a feeling this game 7 will not disappoint.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Bill Boyd

I agree, its been a good series. Pressure is still on Hawks, President trophy winners and in front of their home crowd, you are right, if Detroit can hold on early, could be an interesting game.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
edward broeth

I am more excited about the NHL playoffs then the NBA playoffs, more balanced teams and just more intensity overall

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Bill Boyd

Ed,
Now you're catching on. You need to move to Michigan. The playoffs are usually tough hard fought contest. As Mickey Redmand would say, "no place for a nervous person."
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
...They should try and exploit Oduya-- decent offensive threat but a doofus on the blue line--rattle him and he will make some classic bonehead play. Seabrook isn't much better....
You were right about Oduya with respect to the Wings only goal tonight.

I think Seabrook has been excellent since being benched for part of game 4. Heady play tonight on the Hawks 2nd (or was it third?) goal.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Bill Boyd

Ouch, so close and come up short. Great series, great comeback by the Hawks. They should have won it in regulation, the call was bad.
The Wings last game in the Western Conference was an overtime seventh game loss. There is one for a future trivia buffs.
Ouch, it still hurts.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 AM
H Murphy

Bill, good series by the Wings. Don`t think they could have played much better and that`s really all you can ask. Maybe they could have used the best 7 game series player I ever saw Detroit Have, Mickey Lolich 1968 !!! Now that was an athlete ...........

Last edited by TUM301; 05-30-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Bill Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
Bill, good series by the Wings. Don`t think they could have played much better and that`s really all you can ask. Maybe they could have used the best 7 game series player I ever saw Detroit Have, Mickey Lolich 1968 !!! Now that was an athlete ...........
Murphy,
LOL, his belt line showed it. He was a great pitcher with a rubber arm, but you never seen him on a box of Wheaties. But he was a great 7th game pitcher, and with just two days rest.