NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-30-2022, 02:25 PM

Default Will Carlos Beltran make the baseball hall of fame?

Centerfielder Carlos Beltran becomes HOF eligible next year. He holds impressive statistics. However, the Houston sign stealing scandal may derail his chances. If so, for how long? Or can it be overlooked?

What are your thoughts?

Beltran statistics
https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...eltrca01.shtml
Old 08-30-2022, 02:37 PM

I think he'll have a fight on his hands. I would say his stats alone would merit serious consideration BUT being that his championship is tainted and baseball clearly hasn't welcomed him back (no other managerial offers to speak of) I think he'll have to wait a few years.

I would wager on him getting in eventually though. In my opinion he was a much better player than the other borderline outfielders (Dawson, Larry Walker, Billy Williams, etc.).
Old 08-30-2022, 02:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't see any trend of forgiveness among the writers unless your name is David Ortiz, so for now, I lean no.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:45 PM
Charles Jackson

Yeah, gonna be tough for him.

Played almost 20 years and was pretty consistent during that time leading to solid career stats (2,725 hits, 435 HRs), but his peak wasn't that great.
Unlike other borderline Outfielders, he never lead the league in anything, and the highest he ever finished in MVP was 4 (although he probably deserved higher).

The sign-stealing scandal with Astros is definitely a problem for him.

If het gets in, it may take a long time.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 08-30-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:45 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I think it will get in. That “scandal” seemed like it has mostly blown over and others will not be hurt when they retire (ie Altuve)

That said I do not think he will get in on his first try but with in the first 5 years he will get in

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-30-2022, 02:47 PM

I guess it would be hard to excuse the cheating and then make excuses like he was playing against other cheaters during his prime.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

He’s a compiler and the face of an outrage. He’s not going in in the short term, I think. He probably does eventually from a vets committee.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:21 PM
Bob C.

Unless they are suddenly going to let Jackson back into baseball, and the HOF, no one else known to have been involved in cheating should ever be allowed in, or even considered. The hypocrisy is disgusting otherwise.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

The good news if he stays out is I don't have to deal with his ridiculous rookie card (or lack thereof) situation.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:31 PM

Haha I’m in a similar boat in that I got him at spring training when he was on Kansas City but have since lost the baseball.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:38 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

95 SP > 95 Topps in this case.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
95 SP > 95 Topps in this case.
That's what I have in the current collection but it's a minor league card, not sure I can justify that if he goes Hall.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That's what I have in the current collection but it's a minor league card, not sure I can justify that if he goes Hall.
1996 SPX then. It’s worth like $1 or less so that will be nice.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
1996 SPX then. It’s worth like $1 or less so that will be nice.
Negative that. I must have an RC. Problem is, he doesn't have one as I define it, so I guess next best thing is the minor league from the rookie year?

Old 08-30-2022, 04:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Negative that. I must have an RC. Problem is, he doesn't have one as I define it, so I guess next best thing is the minor league from the rookie year?
If his 1995 doesn’t count because it’s a minor league card how does his 1996 not then count as the rookie, as the first card in a major league uniform to accurately portray him? He didn’t debut for years after both cards.

The 95 SP has him in a MLB uniform. If that’s not enough, the 1998 cards from his actual debut year are plentiful.

If he doesn’t have one under your rules, then you’re all set and good to go already

Or, buy the 1995 Juan Lebron and the “Carlos Beltran”. Remove the gold print on the Lebron, and carefully cut and glue “Carlos Beltran” onto it.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If his 1995 doesn’t count because it’s a minor league card how does his 1996 not then count as the rookie, as the first card in a major league uniform to accurately portray him? He didn’t debut for years after both cards.

The 95 SP has him in a MLB uniform. If that’s not enough, the 1998 cards from his actual debut year are plentiful.

If he doesn’t have one under your rules, then you’re all set and good to go already

Or, buy the 1995 Juan Lebron and the “Carlos Beltran”. Remove the gold print on the Lebron, and carefully cut and glue “Carlos Beltran” onto it.
Yeah a custom card may be the solution.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Yeah a custom card may be the solution.
If there is any card Topps should reprint and make a change on for their next Archives type set, it's this one.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

If forced to take a 95 TT, I would actually take the LeBron card because to me the picture is more important than the words. The market of course thinks otherwise.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If there is any card Topps should reprint and make a change on for their next Archives type set, it's this one.
What's great is the Bowman's Best makes the same mistake.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
What's great is the Bowman's Best makes the same mistake.
I didn’t know the Best did that too. Reminds me of the Jim Taylor crap show where they pictured Linebacker Jim of the Cardinals in both 1959 and 1960 instead of packer Jim. You’d think the red uniform would be a giveaway.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

The T3 Frank Baker is Jack Barry.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:08 PM

People still pay a pretty penny for a select few Irv Young cards too.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:26 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
The good news if he stays out is I don't have to deal with his ridiculous rookie card (or lack thereof) situation.
Forgot about that. That is a great point.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Forgot about that. That is a great point.
To paraphrase Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now, if I say it's a rookie card, it's a rookie card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beltran.jpg (75.2 KB, 45 views)