NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Collecting Cinderella Poster Baseball Stamps.....

Anyone else collect Cinderella Poster stamps? Some of them are quite artistic. And a few blurbs from Wiki on them...

The poster stamp was an advertising label, a little larger than most postage stamps, that originated in the mid-19th century and quickly became a collecting craze, growing in popularity up until World War One and then declining by World War Two until they are now almost forgotten except by collectors of cinderella stamps.

The unofficial nature of poster stamps has led to debate about exactly what is and is not a poster stamp. One definition has been "labels without postage stamp values, not good for postal service; advertising labels or charity labels.

The first poster stamps were inspired by the invention of the postage stamp. A perforated label was produced in England in 1864 to celebrate the 300th anniversary of Shakespeare's birth and in Italy a label was produced in 1860 to celebrate Garibaldi's expedition to Sicily during the campaign to unify Italy.[2] Commercial interests soon realised the publicity potential of the stamps and they were quickly adopted for the promotion of every type of product and cause. Poster stamps were also widely used by both sides during World War One as political propaganda.

As late as the 1930s they were still being used to promote political and other causes. In 1937 Irene Harand published a series of anti-Nazi poster stamps portraying the contributions made by Jews to civilisation over the centuries,[3] and adhesive labels of all kinds that are not postage stamps continue to be produced today to promote particular causes or events.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pstunc1915sgirlsitting 001.jpg (78.3 KB, 289 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Well, I guess there won't be much competition for them .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pstunc1912baseballstamps6x.jpg (78.4 KB, 236 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Alan Elefson

I collect them when I can find them. I have the common generic baseball ones, and Marquard, but no others (would love to find a Cobb in a scrapbook).

I have shown these before (and Leon I think you have a baseball one), but here are my basketball real photo examples.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img218.jpg (71.7 KB, 219 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

I have a few, but no sports related ones. There's a club for people who only collect poster stamps. Some of them are a bit expensive even if most aren't.

There was a Duke Kahanamoku stamp advertising some exhibition on Ebay recently that was in pretty bad shape a big tear on the left side. I was amazed what it went for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-Poster-...p2047675.l2557

Steve B
Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Anything vintage of the Duke sells well; if I'd seen it I'd have been in the running for it.

Neat stuff; I had no idea that that sort of collectible had a formal name. I guess this item of HOFer Kid Lewis qualifies:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-15-2014, 04:16 PM
octavio ranzola

I like Steve have one pretty with great artwork Leon are all those yours there gorgeous
Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
I like Steve have one pretty with great artwork Leon are all those yours there gorgeous
The ones in my posts are mine....i think they are fun to collect AND they are usually inexpensive. And the return of my coins....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pstunc1910s20master2.jpg (81.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Dan Bretta

Last Summer I attended an auction and picked up three albums that were full of poster stamps...only two baseball stamps out of probably 500-600 total stamps though.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Last Summer I attended an auction and picked up three albums that were full of poster stamps...only two baseball stamps out of probably 500-600 total stamps though.
The vast majority of stamps aren't baseball, from what I have seen too. The 1915 Postaco series made cool baseball players and other things, such as this Kangaroo stamp. This is a printing process series of them....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pstunc1915postacokangaroo12x.jpg (75.3 KB, 40 views)