NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default How fast are you taking cards out of our hobby?

Posted By: identify7

That is: How much do you spend on cards that you plan to keep for five or more years?

Old 10-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I will go first: I spend about $100. per month on cards which I will keep for 5 years.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I think the number of people collecting for the long-term is growing much much faster than the amount of people that have collected long-term and are now getting out of the hobby and putting their cards back into circulation. That being said, I probably am over $100/mo and closer to $200/mo or $300/mo. But it varies...

Old 10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

every card I buy, I buy with the thought I'll be keeping them until I die. of course, that's not always the case...sometimes I get bored with a certain set and decide to sell it off...sometimes I just stop appreciating certain cards...sometimes I just lose focus and am interested in other things.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

i spend about 6 times what my high speed internet costs me each month---for cards that i will keep forever.

barry

Old 10-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I spend any extra cash on cards I plan on keeping, so hopefully 50 years from now people will wonder where all the old cards are and ill break the bad news that i burned them for heat because i didnt have money to pay my bills.People will tell me how stupid that was but i wont care because ill be 80 and hopefully senial

Old 10-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

But now that i do, i guess between 700.00 and 1k.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

But everything else you can buy is either consumed or a fun-less investment. Who wants to own 100 shares of Crapco when you can buy a Cobb instead? When the stock bombs, I get mad. If I can't resell the card easily, at least I have a nice item to enjoy.

As far as how fast I am adding to my collection, I guess the correct answer is "as fast as I can, depending on what comes onto the market and how much money I have."

Old 10-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Half of the sum that is twice what I spend. Or, looked at another way, double the sum that is half of what I spend. Why does someone care what other people spend? I thought this board was about passion not money.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I thought the two went hand in hand. It was a wise former forum member who not long ago coined the term "CHA-ching" in reference to this great hobby.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i think gilbert is bringing up a very good point regarding supply decreasing.
you guys could lighten up a bit imo, i'm quite sure he did not intend this thread to be who's is bigger.
i have a card budget, it gets used each and every month....and not much goes back.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

I never buy anything with the intention of selling it. I can only think of two cards, that I picked up at the Chicago National in the early ninties, with the intention of someday selling them. I still have them. Ends up that the only cards I now sell are those that I bought, that don't now fit into what it is I am trying to accomplish. I am a 20's and 30's A's fan. Some I recently sold were my 49 Leaf Williams, as it did not fit any longer. Sold some Colgans chips, zeenuts, other odd ball things that I bought early on in the day, otherwise nothing leaves the ranch. Too hard to find. can't let them go. They are too cool.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Every card I buy is intended for my collection. I never buy with the intent to resell. So, to answer that part of your question, all of my cards have been taken out of the general hobby circulation.

The speed at which I have been doing that lately, however, has been growing slower and slower as the prices of Old Judges continue to rise.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Everything I buy goes into my collection, except dupes. I generally buy cards in lots, so I end up with the occasional dupe and these get sold. I can safely say that none of the important pieces in my collection will be hitting the market any time soon.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Everything i buy goes into my collection...however, there are some cards that I have that i would consider "place holders" I buy them b/c i love them and i think they are really special..however, i will also sell them to try and pay for other cards that i don't intend to ever move. In other words, i have a handful of e90-1's right now..but i would move them to help cover the cost of a Jax CJ or something like that.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

* I'm smart enough to know that there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Everything that goes into my collection stays there, i'm not going to be one of those guys who say "I wish I would have not sold that card" lol, but its true. None of my collection is forsale and will never be for sale. I bought a 1958 Hires Test Issue last week for about 1/5th of its value, I was gonna flip it, but when I got it I fell in love and now its part of my collection. So even cards I buy to flip end up staying lol.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I should amend my statement to say that I will not pass upa deal that I know I can flip for nice profit so that I can buy more cards. In some ways, I am the anti-collector, in that most people try to upgrade the cards in their collection. I do the opposite, given the choice to between a high grade and low grade card of the same player, I will sell off the high grade card because I will be able to buy more cards by selling that one off and I will be just as happy with the low grade card.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.