NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Default Seeking help with a Bob Feller Mexican postcard

Posted By: Rob D.

Judging from the image of a youthful Bob Feller, I'm guessing this postcard is prewar, hence the post on this side of the board.

This is an eBay purchase, and I'm seeking input on the issue. The postcard is glossy, but I'm hesitant to call it a real-photo PC (if that makes sense). It's almost as if there's a coating on the front, but it covers only about 90 percent of the card (a vertical strip about a quarter-inch wide down the left side doesn't have the gloss).

The back, which didn't scan well, reads at the top: TARJETA POSTAL and a dotted box where the postage would be affixed has the word "SELLO" inside. Printed along the left edge of the reverse is: Kodak Mexicana, Ltd.

The content area is split with a vertical line down the middle, and there are four lines printed on the right side for the address. That is all the printing on the reverse.

One thing I find interesting about the image is that Feller appears to be gripping a baseball with his left hand, though the image has not been reversed.

Can anyone provide insight to baseball postcards that were issued in Mexico?

Thanks in advance.

(Also, the postcard is unautographed, which adds to its scarcity, IMO.)

Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy

Hi Rob,

I think its because he's signing the ball with his right. nice card.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Andy.

After reading your post, it seems so obvious in the photo. Doh!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

1- Andy is right about the signing. Feller signs everything.

2- Keep this card away from him, don't take it anywhere near him, or he'll sign it. At times I think there's more of his stuff signed than there is unsigned.

3- Illuminate the back side with a black light, see if it fluoresces... that would help with the dating. I could print a post card of Feller as a baby, but that doesn't make it a pre-war card.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Feller seems to get a bad wrap for his autograph signing habits...IMO he should be revered for being so accessible to the fans.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

I could print a post card of Feller as a baby, but that doesn't make it a pre-war card.

Thanks for your insight, Frank. As always, you're a beacon of light on an otherwise dreary night.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Id say 1950s.

Its a real photo or at least the front/back is the same type as one.

here is a good page for info on all real photo postcards.

http://www.playle.com/realphoto/photok.php?PHPSESSID=s1d1rv10u8h488n53o87859g54

Old 07-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Frank (fkw), for the great link.

This is what the stamp area looks like, which according to the Web site you provided, means it was issued in 1941.

(edited to add that the site Frank linked to suddenly has slowed to a crawl, which might prevent the image I posted from loading)

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well Dan and Rob D, I apologize. Maybe I came down too hard on Bob. It is great that a Hall of Fame member is so willing to sign.

A friend of mine went to Cooperstown. I've never been. He knows I love baseball. He stayed at a B&B, and told me he'd gotten me a signed HOF postcard. He promised to bring it to me soon. I told him it was Bob Feller. He looked at me oddly, and asked me how I knew which signed post card he had...

My neck hurts, my Cardinals lost in extra innings on ESPN, my 1946 Boston Red Sox roster I've listed on eBay has zero bids, same for my 1944 New York Giants roster, it was hot and very humid down here in the Bluegrass State... I guess I let all of that build up and burst out, hence the pre-war baby post card comment. Sorry.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Administrator

No problem, Frank. I hope your eBay fortunes change.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Cool, I couldnt make out the EKC so thats great it is earlier than I was thinking.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

It doesn't look like there is too much information known for the "EKC" Sello back. The known example they have is 1941, but that doesn't necessarily mean that is the definitive date. The "EKC" English back is known from 1930-50 so Yours could still be in that range as well. Prabably more like 1940-50 if I had to make a guess.
-Rhett