NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default LIFERS: Current Status

There are only 11 active Major Leaguers who have played at least a decade all with the same team.

Alphabetically:

Homer Bailey, RHSP, Age-32, Reds, 11 years, WAR=4.3 67W-70L, 4.54 ERA

Ryan Braun, OF, Age-34, Brewers, 11 years, WAR=45.4 .300/.363/.538/.900 ROY-1; MVP-1; PED SUSPENSION-1

Brett Gardner, OF, AGE-34, Yankees, 10 years, WAR=37.7 .264/.348/.394/.742 GG-1; WSC-1

Alex Gordon, 3B-LF, AGE-34, Royals, 11 years, WAR=33.7 .259/.340/.418/.757 GG-5; WSC-1

Felix Hernandez, RHSP, AGE-32, Mariners, 13 years WAR=51.5 166-119, 3.28 ERA CY-1 ; CY top five- 4

Clayton Kershaw, LHSP, AGE-30, Dodgers, 10 years WAR=61.9 145-68, 2.37 ERA MVP-1; GG-1; ERA-5; CY-3; CY top 5- 7

Joe Mauer, C-1B, AGE-35, Twins, 14 years WAR=54.9 .308/.391/.441/.832 MVP-1; GG-3; BA-3

Yadier Molina, C, AGE 35, Cardinals, 14 years WAR=37.3 .284/.335/.404/.739 GG-8; WSC-2

Dustin Pedroia, 2B, AGE-34, Red Sox, 12 years WAR=52.1 .300/.366/.440/.806 ROY-1; MVP-1; GG-4; WSC-2

Joey Votto, 1B, AGE-34, Reds, 11 years WAR=57.4 .313/.428/.536/.964 MVP-1; GG-1

Ryan Zimmerman, 3B-1B, AGE-33, Nationals, 13 years WAR=36.7 .279/.343/.475/.818 GG-1

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-11-2018, 08:13 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Miguel Cabrera is in his 11th year with the Tigers.
Age 35, Two MVP's, Triple Crown, 7 time all star
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Miguel Cabrera is in his 11th year with the Tigers.
Age 35, Two MVP's, Triple Crown, 7 time all star
And he'll be in a Tiger uniform into the early 2020s at least. One of the worst contracts in baseball.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

I think Ray meant that all these players had *only* played for one team.

Some of them are likely to be in the discussion of worst contract ever, at least among their teams. Ya...im talking about HR Bailey.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Rob Anderson

Mauer is talked about as a terrible contract. With his injuries, I agree. If he stays healthy, it is a fair number.

Last edited by gopherfan; 06-11-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:59 AM
Bill Gregory

I'm a bit curious why you composed your list the way you did, Raymond. You included Gold Gloves, but not Silver Sluggers. You listed top 5 Cy Young voting, but not top 5 for MVP.

And technically, Ryan Braun was banned for using an illegal substance. The headlines many sports sites posted erroneously stated he was being punished because of PEDs. Ryan Braun used an unapproved substance to heal a calf injury during the 2011 playoffs. He still broke the rules, and deserved the suspension, but I hate the insinuation by many that Braun had to resort to performance enhancers to be a great player. Nothing is further from the truth. He was tested left and right in 2012, and all his tests were clean while he led the NL in home runs, and finished second in the MVP. A reoccurring nerve issue in his thumb that greatly affected his ability to hit in 2013 and '14 will likely cost him a chance at the Hall of Fame, not a suspension.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Synthetic testosterone treats calf injuries? I did not know that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:32 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Synthetic testosterone treats calf injuries? I did not know that.
It was leaked that Braun had levels of synthetic testosterone in his system when tested in 2011, and that the testosterone levels demonstrated were the highest ever recorded by a Biolab in either the United States or in Canada, several times higher, in fact (per Braun's legal defense team-I take that with a grain of salt, as I don't recall the statement ever being corroborated by the lab, or MLB). He won that appeal, but the specifics were never released because of the confidentiality clause of the MLB drug testing program. Independent Arbitrator Shyam Das saw all the evidence, and ruled in Braun's favor. But his ruling opinion was never disseminated to the press. Was the synthetic testosterone finding in Braun's sample disproven somehow?

Ultimately, he was banned in 2013 for his connection with Biogenesis. I don't know how much overlap there was between MLB's original case in 2011, and what they presented to Braun in 2013. Braun voluntarily accepted his 65 game ban-50 for the substance violation, and 15 for how he carried himself during the proceedings. With incomplete information, it's hard to know what was real, and what was a fabrication by the media. If it was proven that there was synthetic testosterone in Braun's system in 2011, and that chain of custody was sound, how could Das have ruled in his favor?

I'm certainly not an expert on hormone usage, but I take testosterone cypionate, in part, to help offset bone density issues. I've also had several steroid injections to help heal damaged tissue in my knee and spine. Obviously, those are two different animals, but if Braun says he used a banned substance to heal an injury, I find his statement at least plausible. Unfortunately, we'll never know exactly what happened. We're left with part truth, part conjecture. Ultimately, my view is he screwed up--big time--and served his sentence.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-12-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I'm a bit curious why you composed your list the way you did, Raymond. You included Gold Gloves, but not Silver Sluggers. You listed top 5 Cy Young voting, but not top 5 for MVP.

Because I have a life, Bill.

And technically, Ryan Braun was banned for using an illegal substance. The headlines many sports sites posted erroneously stated he was being punished because of PEDs. Ryan Braun used an unapproved substance to heal a calf injury during the 2011 playoffs. He still broke the rules, and deserved the suspension, but I hate the insinuation by many that Braun had to resort to performance enhancers to be a great player. Nothing is further from the truth. He was tested left and right in 2012, and all his tests were clean while he led the NL in home runs, and finished second in the MVP. A reoccurring nerve issue in his thumb that greatly affected his ability to hit in 2013 and '14 will likely cost him a chance at the Hall of Fame, not a suspension.

That detail doesn't matter to me, I put ALL cheaters in the same pile. For what they get paid, there should never be a situation in which they do not know whether or not what they inject or otherwise use are on the banned substances lists. And braun lied and lied about it, too.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Randy Trierweiler

I believe Adam Wainwright merits inclusion to this elite group.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ainwad01.shtml
Old 06-21-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
I believe Adam Wainwright merits inclusion to this elite group.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ainwad01.shtml

You're correct, Randy. However, my source, ESPS. Com, has 'Lifers' defined as 'This lists the rare players in MLB who have been with only one team throughout their careers with at least 10 years in the pros.'

Technically, Wainwright would not meet the criteria since he started as a Braves' prospect.

However, if you click on 'lifers', the next screen has 'lifers' more loosely defined...

A lifer is a player who has played with only one team for at least ten years.

But, I agree with you, that 'the spirit' of the list would include Wainwright...they need an editor like you...or me.

Thank for your note

-Raymond

-

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-21-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:50 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Because I have a life, Bill.
Nice flippant response, Clyde. I'm so very sorry to have taken up some of your valuable time.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Nice flippant response, Clyde. I'm so very sorry to have taken up some of your valuable time.

Saying I have a life, in self, is a joke, but implying that my time is more valuable than anyone else...was never intended or considered.

I'm always going for laughs, but frequently fall short.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:38 AM
Bill Gregory

It's ok, Raymond. Pain meds had worn off, and I was in a really pissy mood. You're aces in my book.