NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 AM

Default So, gotta ask the obvious.......

With a market correction in full bloom, anybody putting the brakes on their collecting?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Flesh wound. The rebound will happen as it always does. Short term could hurt prices a little as discretionery income is less but long term, no issues from this. That's my half cent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
With a market correction in full bloom, anybody putting the brakes on their collecting?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Grant Rainsley

Might hold off a bit if I was dealing in high-end items........but I'm a nickel and dimer, so status quo for me..........as Leon mentioned, it's just a bump in the road in the economy.......the big players are circling right now and getting ready to buy.....
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 AM
ErikV

Default Re: So, gotta ask the obvious.......

Yes and no. I'm in the middle of making a large card purchase. My strategy is
not to buy any more cards until I pay this purchase off. I suppose in my case
the stock market doesn't really have a bearing on my collecting/purchasing habits.

ErikV
Old 08-24-2015, 08:25 AM

"The market is good so cards must be good"
"The market is bad so cards must be bad"

These are both awful assumptions to make.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:37 AM
pete ullman

Kudos to Leon on the timing of your sale...it is a great time to be flush with cash to invest in the market!!!!
Old 08-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

but I was never very good in math...

ps, the blind squirrel theory is also a good one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Kudos to Leon on the timing of your sale...it is a great time to be flush with cash to invest in the market!!!!

Last edited by Leon; 08-24-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:01 AM

If I were tied up in stocks you'd catch me in the center of town. But I am a free man so I do as I please.

Last edited by packs; 08-24-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Tony N.

It's funny, if you had cash on the sidelines at 9:30am, and had your eye on a few stocks, you could've made a decent buck by lunchtime.

Example, Apple is worth $115 last week, $92 at 9:30 am, $108 now.

Don't panic sell. Buy on FEAR!!!!

Just my two cents.

Tony
Old 08-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Most people just hang on and things go back to normal.....now only down around 1 Percent for the day .....back to buying cards!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
It's funny, if you had cash on the sidelines at 9:30am, and had your eye on a few stocks, you could've made a decent buck by lunchtime.

Just my two cents.

Tony
Old 08-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:

Just my two cents.

Tony
Yes! Tony's got it. Business as usual for collecting.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 08-24-2015, 12:08 PM

Default Financial planning

I'm still heavy into Pogs for the long term. Day trading Beanie Babies! Sam Majors
Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM
S Gross

Quote:

Just my two cents.

Tony

Exactly .............. Do Not Panic

OH, I only wish I bought Apple when it first came out. Like my sister, she just liked the logo

I'm down about 15%, so just my 1.7 cents worth of advice.

Scott
Old 08-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Jeff

Default Business As Usual For Me

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-24-2015, 03:30 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Stopped out of my oil position this morning. Pretty much sucked.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I bought a stock today, lol when everyone is selling... Thats when its time to buy.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:18 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
I truly hope that no one is making decisions about their collecting based on the results of 2 ugly days on the market. Please.

Bill
Old 08-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
I bought a stock today, lol when everyone is selling... Thats when its time to buy.
+1...best time to buy is at the tail end of a correction. And this is definitely a correction.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
+1...best time to buy is at the tail end of a correction. And this is definitely a correction.
And you know when it's the tail end how?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:27 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Mkt rebound shortly after the open shows there are buyers on the sidelines waiting to put cash to work. They thought prices were low enough despite the expected and eventual late day swoon that was almost a certainty as mutual fund mangers had to place sell orders in the last hour to meet cash needs. This was a result of redemptions placed over the weekend that weren't offset by other intraday buys that might have come in up until 3pm. In the very short term I would expect Tuesdays close to be higher than Mondays regardless of what the early hours hold on Tuesday. As for the rest of the week be careful there will be ramifications from this global 10-20%+ selloff that we haven't seen yet, ie, leveraged etfs not pricing properly and market makers failing to continue to make markets (in other words liquidity vacuums), additional oil/commodity bankruptcies announced, high yield bonds having problems and newly emerging currency devaluations.

I'd be careful to buy too much if market holds, wait a week or two to see how things shake out. If you miss a big bounce so be it, if you avoid a further 10% sell off I think you'll feel better saving the 10% rather than missing 10% bounce.

Just my opinion.

As far as cards prices go I think we see a small pullback but nothing dire.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 08-24-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

The few things I have observed about the stock market are that everybody is a genius after the fact, that trying to time it is frequently a recipe for disaster, and that over time a very low percentage of people beat the broader indices.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And you know when it's the tail end how?
I won't; however, will generally benefit over the long term through my (supposedly out-of-favor) buy and hold strategy whereas it concerns purchasing equitable securities.

There is definitely a throw the baby out with the bath water panic taking place right now. Macroeconomics aside, buying opportunities have presented themselves. I, for one, as a bargain hunter, am excited.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 08-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
The few things I have observed about the stock market are that everybody is a genius after the fact, that trying to time it is frequently a recipe for disaster, and that over time a very low percentage of people beat the broader indices.
Peter,

You are overwhelmingly correct with your assessment. Please note that my previous posts within this thread should NOT be misconstrued as investment advice. While my investments comprise a portion of my income, I am not a financial advisor.

Sorry for the disclaimer. Just making sure it is expressly understood that I am not telling anyone to do anything. After all, this is just a message board regarding baseball cards.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-24-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
I truly hope that no one is making decisions about their collecting based on the results of 2 ugly days on the market. Please.

Bill
Bill,

Make that three with a fourth probable for Tuesday. Just checked the Asian markets. Ugly.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Ebay has been awesome for 2 days, honestly I am holding hope the panic stays on for another 24 hours so I can pick up another off my want list tomorrow night at another bargain.

The market is always cyclical, it will rebound.

I remember Black Monday 87'. Everyone in a sheer panic and my best friend's father pulls a 75k HELOC on his home and puts it all in blue chips.

In the early nineties his portfolio hit 6 mil. Make that on safe hedges in a handful of years.

The smart ones make a mint on the lemmings.

Hold what you got and buy what you couldn't afford before.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:21 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
The smart ones make a mint on the lemmings.

100%. ^ fins up!

of course, we aren't all "intelligent" collectors per the Almighty.

Last edited by begsu1013; 08-24-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Bill,

Make that three with a fourth probable for Tuesday. Just checked the Asian markets. Ugly.
As of 7:00 a.m. ET, Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were 525 points higher, or 3.32%. S&P 500 futures gained 61 points, or 3.30% to 1923, while Nasdaq 100 futures jumped 162 points, or 4.05% to 4165.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:38 AM
T0dd M@rcum

After literally waiting for two years for a correction, I sunk a pretty substantial amount into the market the week before the free fall. It happens and it's long term money and while it will sting a little for the next few months, it's not going to change my life. I may subconsciously not pull the trigger on a four figure opportunity buy but the stuff I;m working on is the stuff I;m working on.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
As of 7:00 a.m. ET, Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were 525 points higher, or 3.32%. S&P 500 futures gained 61 points, or 3.30% to 1923, while Nasdaq 100 futures jumped 162 points, or 4.05% to 4165.
I am not afraid to apologize and admit I'm full of it. Having fun watching the market or as I call it, encapsulated insanity.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Best time to buy is when baseball is in the off-season.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Easy come easy go
Old 08-25-2015, 02:14 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Mkt rebound shortly after the open shows there are buyers on the sidelines waiting to put cash to work. They thought prices were low enough despite the expected and eventual late day swoon that was almost a certainty as mutual fund mangers had to place sell orders in the last hour to meet cash needs. This was a result of redemptions placed over the weekend that weren't offset by other intraday buys that might have come in up until 3pm. In the very short term I would expect Tuesdays close to be higher than Mondays regardless of what the early hours hold on Tuesday. As for the rest of the week be careful there will be ramifications from this global 10-20%+ selloff that we haven't seen yet, ie, leveraged etfs not pricing properly and market makers failing to continue to make markets (in other words liquidity vacuums), additional oil/commodity bankruptcies announced, high yield bonds having problems and newly emerging currency devaluations.

I'd be careful to buy too much if market holds, wait a week or two to see how things shake out. If you miss a big bounce so be it, if you avoid a further 10% sell off I think you'll feel better saving the 10% rather than missing 10% bounce.

Just my opinion.

As far as cards prices go I think we see a small pullback but nothing dire.
Wrong.