NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-30-2018, 08:33 AM
Robert Marks

Default Mantle Authentication Help, Please

I recently purchased the following Mantle autograph, with a no questions asked return policy. Before purchasing, I compared the autograph to over a dozen Mantles that I have, where I saw Mantle sign them (signed in the mid 1960s-mid-1970s). It looks good to me, but I'm not an expert by any means. I am hoping to get your expert opinions, please.

Thanks, as always!

Mantle sig.jpg
Old 12-30-2018, 08:39 AM
Robert Marks

Bigger picture.

Mantle sig 2.jpg
Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Chuck Tapia

The kick is up....and it's GOOD!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Michael I.

Thats a nice one for sure!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:35 AM
Robert Marks

Thank you for your quick review and assessment. I am much more comfortable now after getting your feedback.

I have another question. What value range would you place this?

Many thanks again!!!
Old 12-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarks View Post
Thank you for your quick review and assessment. I am much more comfortable now after getting your feedback.

I have another question. What value range would you place this?

Many thanks again!!!
Personalized autographs are not so cut and dry when it comes to value.

Much easier to sell an authentic Mantle without any personal inscriptions.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:26 PM
Robert Marks

I agree that it does get a bit tricky as it limits the demand. Given that it is personalized, what would you expect the range of value to be?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:39 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I've seen some nice ones of that card go for in the 500-600 plus range, so with it personalized (and that name is not going to be common for a collector I think) I would guess 300-400). But that's just a guess. Maybe start at 250 and go from there?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:21 PM
Robert Marks

Thank you for your response. That really helps!
Old 12-30-2018, 08:09 PM
Christopher Williams

Here is the Sold Auction on Ebay.

armory-1.jpg
Old 12-30-2018, 08:29 PM
Robert Marks

Thank you for researching this for me. That was me with the high bid. I had asked the seller before bidding about any background that might make me feel comfortable with the authenticity of the autograph. He told me it was part of an estate and the little girl to whom it was personalized was now an adult and the estate owner. I also asked if I was the winning bidder would he provide a refund if unhappy for any reason. He told me he would. My max bid was $155, so I was barely the high bidder.

I have about 70% of the 1964 Giant set signed, so I thought I'd go for it. Do you think I got a good deal? I was thinking that it might go for $200-$250.

Thanks again for taking the time to search on ebay!!!
Old 12-30-2018, 08:45 PM
Christopher Williams

Very nice deal.

Congrats!!!
Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Robert Marks

Thank you for the pricing research you did on my behalf. I was the winning bidder, but before I bid I asked the seller to provide any background that might help me feel better about the authenticity of the autograph and whether he would be open to a full refund if unhappy (provided I was the winning bidder). He responded indicating the card came from an estate whose owner was the little girl for whom Mantle personalized the autograph. He also said he would provide a full refund if I was unhappy for any reason. That made me feel comfortable bidding. I have 70% of the 1964 Giant set signed, so I thought I'd go for it. My max bid posted was $155, so I barely won.

Do you think $155 was a good price for the autographed card? I thought it would more likely go for $200-$250 (personalized and no COA).

Thanks again for your thoughts (and your research!).
Old 12-31-2018, 05:01 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I think you got a great deal on it. You might have hit a perfect storm in regards to other bidders...that is, a personalized item and the fact that it wasn't authenticated. Both things will often drive the price down as far as bidding is concerned.
By the way, how many more of that series are you going to try for? There's a couple of toughies that I'm assuming you still need.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:30 PM
Robert Marks

Smile

I was an avid collector of autographed cards primarily in the early to mid 1970s. I obtained most of my signed cards (and other signed memorabilia) at visiting team hotels and through the mail. It was a passion /obsession during my youth. When I went to college, my collection went dormant until my stage 4 cancer diagnosis. The silver lining around the diagnosis is that it allowed me time to dust off my collection, organize it, and try to fill in the holes. I have about 20,000 autographed cards (close to 73% of every major Topps set printed from 1951-75) and 33% of all Bowman sets (1948-55). I have many from minor Topps and other brand sets as well. I have over 7,000 duplicate signed cards from the same era.

I'm sorry for the long-winded answer, but I thought it might help to give you some background. If you give me your email address, I have a spreadsheet that documents what I have and what I need. If interested, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Actually, the 1964 Giant set is one of my weaker sets, as it was not one of focus for me in the 1970s. I do need the tougher cards from the set. Here is a list of the ones I need.
Ken Johnson
Roberto Clemente
Nellie Fox
Tony Gonzalez
Dick Ellsworth
Elston Howard
Dick Farrell
Joe Torre
Frank Robinson
Bill Freehan
Juan Marichal
Bob Gibson
Dick Stuart
Tony Oliva
Carl Yastrzemski
Willie Mays
Vada Pinson
Ken Boyer

Please let me know if you can help me out. I am getting relatively close on 1958-61, 68 and 74 Topps sets (have over 90% signed). I also have thousands of duplicate signed cards that could be of interest to you (possible trade or sale). I know this sounds really odd, but it is even hard to part with my duplicates!!! I am a truly passionate collector! I have such fond memories tied to collecting. It was a maturing process that taught me at a young age the value of being polite and courteous, thankful, respectful, organization, ability to take responsibility, ability to speak to others without fear, etc. It is a great hobby!!!