NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-02-2016, 01:38 PM

Default 1976 Topps in 1974 Wrapper

I just picked this up. It is a 1976 Topps pack wrapped in a 1974 Wrapper. Was wondering if there are a lot of miswrapped packs with 2+ years separation. I assume Topps just found some old stock and decided to use it....just seems odd with the 2 years separation.

Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1976 Topps in 1974 Wrapper Resized.jpg (78.2 KB, 318 views)
Old 05-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
I just picked this up. It is a 1976 Topps pack wrapped in a 1974 Wrapper. Was wondering if there are a lot of miswrapped packs with 2+ years separation. I assume Topps just found some old stock and decided to use it....just seems odd with the 2 years separation.

Z
Very nice. Been seeing those as I am looking to pick up a PSA 1974 Topps pack. No expert here, but the only other year I have seen is 1980 football in 1979 wrappers I believe. You're probably right, just using up stock.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Al Richter

Default 1974

Are we sure that is a 74 wrapper and not a 73. We have had threads in here debating when Topps went to distributing all series at one time. There is not doubt iit happened nationwide in 1974 but it seems clear all cards were also released at one time in certain markets in 1973, and in packs that indicated as such
Old 05-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Al Richter

Default 73/74

Just checked my set packs...never mind

Old 05-02-2016, 04:47 PM
David M.

Why would Topps do that? That seems really strange and extremely unlikely. It's not like no one has ever resealed a wax pack. I guess I have a basic distrust of "sealed" packs in general after getting burned on some 1975 mini "sealed" packs, and I'd have a really hard time accepting these packs were real unless I pulled them from a sealed 1996 Topps wax box myself. I'm assuming they are considered real if PSA is grading them. Have these been accepted by the sealed pack collectors as real for a while, or did these just start showing up recently?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Why would Topps do that? That seems really strange and extremely unlikely. It's not like no one has ever resealed a wax pack. I guess I have a basic distrust of "sealed" packs in general after getting burned on some 1975 mini "sealed" packs, and I'd have a really hard time accepting these packs were real unless I pulled them from a sealed 1996 Topps wax box myself. I'm assuming they are considered real if PSA is grading them. Have these been accepted by the sealed pack collectors as real for a while, or did these just start showing up recently?
These are well documented as original. This is actually the case of Topps recycling a design rather than old stock. If the op would flip the pack over and scan the back you will actual see an offer on the reverse the expires at the end of 1976. The 74 packs have a similar offer ending at the end of 1974. Different fonts and sizing are also used.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I'd have a really hard time accepting them as real unless I pulled them out of a 1994 Topps wax box myself
Old 05-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Al Richter

Default 1994

Howard-- I have an unopened 1994 Topps wax box full of 1974 packs I can sell you for the right price

I have no idea if the pack is legit but it would not surprise me one bit if Topps utilized unused wrappers is subsequent years
Old 05-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

This is probably going to be a very stupid question, but I'll ask anyway.

If it is a unopened/sealed pack in a 1974 wrapper, how do you know that there are 1976 cards inside of it?

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post

If it is a unopened/sealed pack in a 1974 wrapper, how do you know that there are 1976 cards inside of it?
As I stated above, the expiration date for the contest on the reverse of the wrapper.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

yes, football packs are even worse.

not 100% but topps used the 81 wrapper for close to 3 years, I think.

then ya had the football/baseball cards in the same cello pack.

think that mighta been 1980?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:48 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post

Im assuming a card can be seen through the front, back, or both. Seems like the only logical explanation.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Im assuming a card can be seen through the front, back, or both. Seems like the only logical explanation.
Side actually. You can also measure the thickness when compared to 1974 Quarters and 1976 Bicentennial Quarters. Both are equal thickness to four of their corresponding years quarters, yet as we all know the dies of the Bicentennial Quarters used leftover dies from 1974. This caused, of course, the 76 quarters to be a bit thinner from the worn dies. Example:

Old 05-02-2016, 11:29 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I'd have a really hard time accepting them as real unless I pulled them out of a 1994 Topps wax box myself
Haha, sorry about the typo. I meant 1976, of course. Well, if the back shows a 1976 expiration date for some offer, then it must be a recycled design as suggested. It is weird though!
Old 05-03-2016, 01:02 AM

That's cool...if I was a kid back then though...I'd probably freak out... haha.

Ricky Y
Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 AM

Default 1976 Topps in 74 Wrapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
These are well documented as original. This is actually the case of Topps recycling a design rather than old stock. If the op would flip the pack over and scan the back you will actual see an offer on the reverse the expires at the end of 1976. The 74 packs have a similar offer ending at the end of 1974. Different fonts and sizing are also used.
Steve,

Here is the reverse. Note the expiration date is 1974.

Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1976 Topps 74 Wrapper Back Resized.jpg (77.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 1976 Topps 74 Wrapper Pack Back Only Resized.jpg (76.8 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 05-03-2016 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 AM
Steven Finley

If the back pictured in the last post is the same pack as the one pictured in the original post, then one of these three things happened.

A. PSA screwed up.
B. That pack is resealed.
C. That's the first 76 pack with a 74 offer date I have ever seen.

Last edited by sbfinley; 05-03-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: I am not omnipotent.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 AM
David M.

Quote:
If the back pictured in the last post is the same pack as the one pictured in the original post, then one of these three things happened.

A. PSA screwed up.
B. That pack is resealed.
C. That's the first 76 pack with a 74 offer date I have ever seen.

Are you certain there are 76's inside? I can't make out the back card, Gaylord Perry?
Ok, now I'm back to where I started. If this pack doesn't have the offer that expires in 1976, I would still have my doubts about this pack. Does a pack like this show up in Mark Murphy's unopened pack guide? Sorry, I don't have a copy.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

Topps reused loads of stuff all through the 70's.

Especially just a couple years later.
79 baseball with 78 backs
79? Baseball with Mork and Mindy sticker fronts on the back
Bazooka boxes with 78 baseball backs inside
same with black hole card backs

It seemed like anything leftover was turned into something else, or used to adjust the equipment. (I have all of the 4 above, Don't know the source for the mork and Mindy, the 79/78 combos were supposedly a dump find, and I bought the Bazooka boxes at retail in a grocery store. )

In general they overproduced so there were always leftovers.

Plus they made up reduced "fun" packs for Halloween either using leftovers or returns. 74 was a big year for that. I can easily see them using up a few rolls of still leftover wrappers.

Steve B
Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Side actually. You can also measure the thickness when compared to 1974 Quarters and 1976 Bicentennial Quarters. Both are equal thickness to four of their corresponding years quarters, yet as we all know the dies of the Bicentennial Quarters used leftover dies from 1974. This caused, of course, the 76 quarters to be a bit thinner from the worn dies. Example:

Do you have a link for that info about the quarters? I've looked and can't find anything. It doesn't make much sense, but the 70's was full of weird pretty much everywhere.

Steve B
Old 05-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Do you have a link for that info about the quarters? I've looked and can't find anything. It doesn't make much sense, but the 70's was full of weird pretty much everywhere.

Steve B
That, my friend, was 1 am sarcasm.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Steven Finley

Just got confirmation from Steve Hart that it is possible to have the 1974 date offer on a 1976 pack. I stand corrected, as I do, at home, with my wife, all the time.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 AM
David M.

Quote:
Just got confirmation from Steve Hart that it is possible to have the 1974 date offer on a 1976 pack. I stand corrected, as I do, at home, with my wife, all the time.
We must be married to sisters! I guess I'll have to accept that this pack can and did happen.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Al Richter

Default Topsey Turvey

I think it is Zach who should be apologizing for trying to confuse everyone with this thread
Old 05-03-2016, 01:58 PM

Default 74 Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I think it is Zach who should be apologizing for trying to confuse everyone with this thread
Thanks Big Al
Old 05-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Steve B
Steve,

Wouldn't your images imply that there are actually 1974 cards in this pack based upon your info?

Also there is a barely visible image in the 2nd post above - just can't identify who is on the card. It appears to be a Cleveland player due to the dark blue visor.

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 05-04-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
That, my friend, was 1 am sarcasm.
Ah, makes sense now. I'll fall back on the excuse that it was way more coherent than most of what I might come up with at 1 am.

I'm used to hearing similar stuff at flea markets. And it's not at all restricted to any one hobby. Every once in a while whatever the story is it turns out to be true.

Steve B
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Steve,

Wouldn't your images imply that there are actually 1974 cards in this pack based upon your info?

Also there is a barely visible image in the 2nd post above - just can't identify who is on the card. It appears to be a Cleveland player due to the dark blue visor.

Z
The packs in the other Steves images from the post I quoted are a 74 pack top, and a 76 pack under it.

On a lot of packs it's possible to get a bit of an idea who's on the bottom, and if the image and the wrapper are just right, on the top too. The 74 in the quoted post shows one of the Hank Aaron specials, the 76 pack shows nearly nothing.

Pack and wrapper varieties are things that haven't really hit the mainstream in detail, although there's a lot of info out there.

Steve B

Steve B
Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 PM

Here is a recap of 74-76 (partial) from a old baseball card news article. 76 cards in 74 wrappers has been known for a long time

Old 05-05-2016, 08:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

I never would have guessed that. Thanks for the information.