NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 AM
Mark Ness

Default How do you see the market 10yrs from now

I took about an 8 yr break from collecting and just started back last summer. I was shocked to see how much the market has changed. I am especially surprised on how much some PSA 9s have sky rocketed on rookies such as Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas and even Lew Alcindor. Does this mean starting investing in PSA 8.5s? It seems like pre war is becoming more popular but in mid to high grade. Vintage high grade has sky rocketed as well.

I wanted some opinions on which cards you guys believe will be worth the most in 10 yrs. Assuming all these cards are the same price right now $30-40k range:

51 bowman mantle PSA 6.5
52 topps mantle PSA 4
33 goudey Ruth #144/#149 PSA 7
68 topps Nolan Ryan PSA 9
55 topps Clemente PSA 8
54 topps Aaron PSA 8
55 topps Koufax PSA 8.5
79 OPC Gretzky PSA 9

Which ones would be at the top of your list?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Patrick N.

Default Not sure

Not sure you've noticed, but last year seemed to be an exception with cards sky-rocketing prices of high grade rookies, etc., but now those prices are falling back to earth. In general, the idea of "investing" in cardboard is still a very risky proposition. The iconic cards like '52 Mantle etc are relatively safe if authenticated, etc.

Last edited by mintacular; 02-25-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:33 PM
D@le Irv*n

This Mays, although a 9, looks like it will do very well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401285276004...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Never seen a nicer, Runnels, that I can remember, but this one also looks like it will end very well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351996654845...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am curious where this Mantle is going to end up, and if the current PWCC Dimaggio situation will affect prices any? (I am guessing not, by the looks of things)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142300324567...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

Never seen a nicer, Runnels, that I can remember, but this one also looks like it will end very well.

I am curious where this Mantle is going to end up, and if the current PWCC Dimaggio situation will affect prices any? (I am guessing not, by the looks of things)

Ok I need to call bullshit. 150k for that mays with 7 days left? None is gonna bid that card up that fast. That's so fake. Every time I use vintagecardprices.com there is always card "a" selling on average for let's say 50 and then OECD sold one for 110. something is so so so shady and off. Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Ok I need to call bullshit. 150k for that mays with 7 days left? None is gonna bid that card up that fast. That's so fake. Every time I use vintagecardprices.com there is always card "a" selling on average for let's say 50 and then OECD sold one for 110. something is so so so shady and off. Thoughts?
Surprisingly, not a lot of bid retractions with the current lot of bidders.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
PWCC auctions, as I have said many times, do not behave like other auctions. And this is one way they don't -- big cards get bid up out of the gate real fast and real high.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Al Richter

If I can still see my cards 10 years from now I will be happy whatever the market may look like
Old 03-07-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
PWCC auctions, as I have said many times, do not behave like other auctions. And this is one way they don't -- big cards get bid up out of the gate real fast and real high.
That makes 2 of us Al-R. I do believe there is price manipulation with some sellers - but I also agree with Peter that the bidding history in PWCC auctions does not particularly follow that of other auctions. They have a good following and many buyers will pay a premium for the service that they provide.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:45 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
You should sign in and check recent prices before you make an accusation like that. 150k would be a place holder bid on that card. Recent sales range from 310k to almost 500k.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:31 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Any thoughts on the above posted links and how they finished?

Is the Mays higher/lower than previous sales, is the Runnels a new high, and what's everyone's thoughts on how the Mantle finished?

Personally, I don't recall seeing some of the prices that were realized with some of lowered numbered 52 Topps cards, but maybe I haven't been around long enough?

Last edited by irv; 03-14-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake: do/don't.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:44 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Any thoughts on the above posted links and how they finished?

Is the Mays higher/lower than previous sales, is the Runnels a new high, and what's everyone's thoughts on how the Mantle finished?

Personally, I don't recall seeing some of the prices that were realized with some of lowered numbered 52 Topps cards, but maybe I haven't been around long enough?
The Mays sold for $235K, about $100k under the average. This same card/same cert, was bought on Heritage for $382K seven months ago. Ouch, someone took it on the chin here. Although at Heritage it's entirely legal to shill and retract bids, so I would personally never use their sales data.

In full disclosure, I love this card. Possibly my favorite card of all time, with his '53 a close second.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
The Mays sold for $235K, about $100k under the average. This same card/same cert, was bought on Heritage for $382K seven months ago. Ouch, someone took it on the chin here. Although at Heritage it's entirely legal to shill and retract bids, so I would personally never use their sales data.

In full disclosure, I love this card. Possibly my favorite card of all time, with his '53 a close second.
Without making it to your, "About seven months ago" part, I was thinking, I bet this card sold last summer.

Hopefully the $147,000, that the previous owner lost, is like pocket change to him?
I was thinking and wondering how the $80,000 Koufax, that sold last year was doing, then I found a PSA 9 that sold at Heritage for $215,000 with the BP. Never heard about that one? I believe there are now 3 PSA 10's on the market, but maybe that number has already changed?