NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Brad Green

Default Lefty Grove = Lefty Groves... And Lefty's 1921 Tip Top Bread Card

The 1921 Tip Top Bread Card of Lefty Grove has gotten significant attention over the past few months. The card that was recently auctioned sold for $27,500 before the juice. In several of the articles regarding the card and the auction, it has been mentioned that Lefty Grove's name was erroneously shown on the card to be Lefty "Groves". I would just like to clear up that the card was not in error in listing Lefty as Lefty "Groves". Lefty was born as Lefty Groves. The "s" was later dropped and he became known thereafter as Lefty Grove.

Here is a scan of the 1921 Tip Top Bread card of Lefty. (For the books, this is not my card. I did not win the auction.)

Other early cards and pictures also show Lefty's name as Lefty "Groves". These items include a picture of the 1921 Orioles and a 1925 (approximate year) Major League Ball Die-Cut.

Lefty's 1927 W560 card shows his name as Grove. Every card thereafter shows Lefty's name as Lefty Grove.

According to the book "Lefty Grove: American Original" by Jim Kaplan, Lefty was born as Robert Moses Groves. The book lists Lefty's paternal ancestors as using the last name Groves. According to other articles that I've read, his name was shortened from "Groves" to "Grove" in part because the media continually used the name Grove instead of Groves. I'm not sure how that got started.

Many of you may not care, but this has been bugging me from the time this card first showed up. If we are going to be talking about this card for many years to come, then I want to make sure that we all understand that the card did not print "Groves" in error. That was the name that he was using in 1921.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Barry Sloate

Good observation Brad. I didn't know that about Lefty.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
Many of you may not care, but this has been bugging me from the time this card first showed up. If we are going to be talking about this card for many years to come, then I want to make sure that we all understand that the card did not print "Groves" in error.
We all have areas where we may have more knowledge then other collectors and when an issue surfaces in that wheelhouse it makes for a positive society when you come forward and share your knowledge.

I guess, I'm trying to say thanks .
Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 PM
David McDonald

Exactness does count in my book, too. Thanks for the information, Brad. If anyone would know you would be the one. I noticed on your website that his tombstone shows the name "Grove". Do you suppose he changed his name legally at some point?
http://www.bandkgreen.net/lefty_grove/photos.htm

(I add parenthetically on a similar note that I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been called Mr. McDonalds by one dumbo or another. To the best of my knowledge there never was an "s" in all the generations).

Last edited by Kawika; 01-18-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: blew the spelling of parenthetically
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
I add paranthetically on a similar note that I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been called Mr. McDonalds by one dumbo or another.
No, no - they meant Mr McDonalds plural, you know, for your frequent, mid-day, Big Mac benders. Like Mr MoneyBags.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
David McDonald

Default Would you like fries with that?

Maybe we should start employing first person plural in our postings.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Jim VB

Hawaii's Toughest Want List?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Do you suppose he changed his name legally at some point?
In 1925 or 1926, I don't think there was anything legal about names. So, I would say, No, he didn't legally change his name. He just started using "Grove" instead of "Groves".

Part of this opinion comes from a converstation that I had with my aunt several years ago. My aunt grew up in the small town of Lonaconing, MD just like Lefty. She was born just a few years after him in the 1920's. We all knew her as Catherine. However, she was born as "Katherine". She said that in school, when she first started writing her name, she was having trouble writing the K in "Katherine". The teacher said one day, "Just make it a C instead of a K. C's are easier to write." So, her name became Catherine. I said to her, what about your birth certificate? She said, "Brad, in the 1920's, there were no birth certificates."
Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the info.

BTW, did that Net 54 Kabul win the Tip Top commons?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Johnny S

Great info Brad, I hope you can add that card to your collection someday ! Is that his RC ?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
Is that his RC ?
Most people would consider the Tip Top Bread card to be Lefty's Pre-Rookie card since it was issued in 1921 when he played minor-league baseball for the Baltimore Orioles of the International League.

Last edited by leftygrove10; 01-18-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the background info Brad! I was the writer of the Lefty Grove card. I hope to have otherwise done it justice

James
Old 10-15-2019, 12:55 AM
Jim Makar

Someone needs to alert homeland security. He better not plan on getting a passport and heaven forbid he moves and goes in for a new license without the old one and his birth certificate matching 100%. Boy, times sure have changed.