NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Tony N.

Default Valley Forge Show this weekend

I will be there this Saturday. I plan on getting some cards graded by SGC on site. I always enjoy meeting with fellow board members, and seeing featured items for the upcoming auctions. Anyone else planning to attend?

Tony
Old 11-29-2010, 08:48 PM
James Gallo

I will be setting up at booth 550 come by say hi and buy some stuff :-)

James G

PS I like to talk shop to so that will work as well.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Joe

I will be going for the first time on Friday. I am looking forward to this show.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 AM
Phil Garry

Skipping this one for the first time in many years, that's how much the quality vintage material at the show has deteriorated in my eyes.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Joe

that stinks....thats the only reason why I am going. I don't want to see tables and tables of jersey/sig cards of stuff from 2010.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Philly Show

There still will be many pre-war vintage card dealers at this show.

FYI......hey guys, the new Friday hours are 3 PM - 8 PM.

Saturday....9 AM - 5 PM

Sunday......9 AM - 4 PM

Additional info......

http://www.phillyshow.org

See you there,

TED Z
Old 11-30-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm unfortunately going to have to pass on the show this time around. I am hopeful that the new hours and auto guests might inspire better crowds. That is probably the only way some of the good vintage guys who no longer set up might come back -there is certainly plenty of space for them.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM

Skipping as well, perhaps for good. It was always worth the drive, but not anymore. The last show had pockets of missing dealers and I suspect this will grow as a trend.

DanC
Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Mike Charron / American Sports Antiquities

I will be skipping the show as well. Last one was disappointing to say the least and there have been too many shows in a 6 week span. Now there won't be one for 3 months I believe. In any case I certainly hope Hunt Auctions is impacted by the poor attendance enough to reduce the table costs so some of the dealers who no longer setup, come back. I'm sure most of the members here know what this show used to be and I am not talking 15years ago either, more like 4 in Fort Washington.

It will probably never be like that again but unless Hunt does something to reduce costs I fear this show may become like White Plains and only locals will attend. I would much rather buy at shows than on E-Bay but based on what I am starting to find at this show ie. an abundance of VG - EX raw cards or insanely priced graded items that are out of touch with market pricing, my expenses are becoming more than my purchases so I'll sit this one out. Good luck to all that do attend however.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM

I, too, unfortunately am going to have to pass on the show this time around. Maybe next time. I have to say that I'm thrilled that the Friday hours were expanded as I used to drive up & back that same day and I always felt rushed.

I have been going to this show on a regular basis since the mid 1990's and have even attended a few shows back when it was in the old motor lodge in the 1980's.

It's too bad it has gone downhill. Outside of the National, this had been known as the very best show around. The fact that it moved initially to Reading before its new location didn't help. But, I think a more valid reason for the decline could be that Hunt Auctions is not really a show promoter.

A show has different purposes for the different types of collectors. Some collectors (like the guys on signingshotline.com) are mainly interested in the in-person autograph signings, so they don't care what dealers are setting up and what they are bringing to sell. There are, of course, the "shiny stuff" collectors, who don't care about the autograph signings nor vintage. The members of Net54 are, obviously, interested in vintage cards & memorabilia, so again it doesn't matter who is signing.

I think Mr. Hunt has decided that the autograph signings are more important, so therefore a lot of the national dealers have stopped setting up because a lot of collectors of vintage cards were not attending. There may be other reasons, but that's a large part for it. If they truly want it like the old days, they would have to put much less emphasis on the autograph signings to try to get the vintage dealers back. Perhaps they could try having a live Hunt auction one evening during that weekend.

Alan
Old 12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Paul Hawk

I plan on attending on Saturday. Look for a 35 year old, over weight guy dragging a blonde ten year old daughter, a brunette nine year old daughter, and a six year old son with glasses around with him, threatening to end their iPod playing days if they don't stop fooling around.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Rich Klein

Default See what I posted last time

About UD who Hunt is working with and how I believe (IMHO) how that is affecting this trade show

Rich
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Still my favorite show. Just love being around all those baseball cards plus I just love to get away for the night. I go straight to my favorite seller and spend most of my money with him. If he decides to close shop, then I might not attend anymore.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 12-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Bill Hedin

Default This was always my favorite show area!

I just want to wish everyone a successful show. Some of my local friends are driving down to set up and buy. I was invited (they always ask me to go), but I'm too sick to travel.
So, everyone have fun, make money, add to your collections and please post your items bought on the Dec pick up thread. The pick up thread is one of my favorites!
Enjoy our hobby and speak of our group of great people on net54 with pride.
Don't be shy to tell everyone that our community is the best!
Regards,
Bill Hedin
Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Clark7781

PAUL

Looking forward to seeing you again. I will be set-up at this show with a stock of over 400 - T206 cards to select from.

See me at Booth # 408.

Best regards,

TED Z
Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Not setting up

I have other commitments so I will not be setting up thistime, but I am on my way down right now.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Joe

Just got back from the show. Some really great stuff, but I think for the most part over priced. Better deals on ebay. But that seems to be the norm anymore at any show. I think the biggest problem I had was many dealers wouldn't even look at me. Maybe because I am a young guy they don't think I have money to spend? I am a nice guy and easy to talk with and came with money to spend. My biggest hunt was the 52 Mantle. A dealer there had 10 of them. I looked, hung around, and no response. He was too busy on the cell phone and the computer. After going to his table 3 times, I just gave up. I got no response from 90% of the tables. I felt almost like the dealers were to good to be bothered. All in all, nice show with a lot of cool items, but it seemed more like a mesuem than a place to buy.

Joe
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Phil Garry

Joe:

I have found the same thing often times at shows. I also have walked away from dealer tables given that scenario unless it is an item that I am really dying for...........
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Rich Klein

Default The 10 52's Mantles must have been

Levi's table.

He and Jim are both good guys if you get to know them and the other people who are at the booth are all good as well.

Sometimes with them you just have to ask

Rich
Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Joe

Rich,
I never said they are bad guys. Sure they are good guys. But I myself own 2 restaurants and everyone that pulls into my parking lot is important.

Joe

Last edited by curch; 12-03-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 PM

I passed on a PSA 5 55 Topps Clemente for $1100, guy said I could have it for $950. I somehow resisted the urge.

Seemed like a lot of empty space to me.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Patrick N.

Default Good call

passed on a PSA 5 55 Topps Clemente for $1100, guy said I could have it for $950. I somehow resisted the urge.

Good call, I bought one for my PC a few months ago for $677 which is right around VCP avg...Big ticket graded cards are almost always cheaper online...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Levi and Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Levi's table.

He and Jim are both good guys if you get to know them and the other people who are at the booth are all good as well.

Sometimes with them you just have to ask

Rich
I agree Levi is a good guy. I like him a lot. Jim always seems to have a glazed-over look about him. I never really think he is listening to what I am saying...sort of like my wife without boobs
Old 12-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Rich Klein

Default Leon

I just spit out loud when I saw your comment about Jim

And, I thought I saw a reference on another board that one of the key autograph guests (*roy halladay*) did not show up on Friday Night.

I know there is some sort of relationship between Hunt Auctions and Upper Deck -- I forgot the exact details but there was a claim on another message board that UD was actually down to about 50 employees or a little more from their peak.

If true, and if UD is in that much problem and if Hunt is a part of that --- it's curious as to whether UD has any say into whom the guests are at the show, etc.

I know this is just speculation, but something tells me that there is a chance this show may be sold again in the next year or so and it really will not be David Hunt's fault if that occurs

Rich
Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Ed McCollum

Default If anyone is still at the show, could you keep an eye out for a card...

I understand that David Hunt, who I was told was part of Hunt Auctions, had come into possession of a Miller Huggins portriat t206 in the last three weeks or so that has the Howe McCormick stamp on the back. I've e-mailed Mr. Hunt at the contact info for thier auction site, but haven't recieved any response. If anyone is at the show, and Hunt Auctions is selling any cards, would you mind seeing if they happen to have that card for sale at the show? Thanks.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Bill Hedin

Default nice one, Leon!

I agree with Rich, I laughed so hard after reading that about Jim, my coffee went everywhere! Great one Leon!
As for the show comments by Rich, it's a sad situation all around. However, as I've preached before, I thank God that collectors have net54. I love that show since the first one I attended so many decades ago!
Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Jim Fleck

Is one of my favorite people in the entire industry. Once you get to know him him he is actually extremely funny and possibly the most knowledgable card guy in the hobby. I know if I have a question he more often than not knows the answer and is more than willing to share his knowledge with me.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
..sort of like my wife without boobs
Thanks for sharing, Leon
Old 12-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Tony N.

Default Valley Forge Pickup's

I got my E125 Wagner that I won in REA graded by SGC today. Looks great in their slab. I also picked up a 1906 Fan Craze Mordecai Brown, and a unique postcard portrait of Eddie Plank. I has his image, similar to the E107 Breisch Williams. Anyone ever seen one like it?

The show was great this time, and theri was a huge crowd. I saw some really great cards, and loved meeting fellow board members. Ted Z had a great slection of T-206's. Can't wait for the next show.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mordecai fan craze0001.jpg (76.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg e125 wagner0001.jpg (78.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg plank pc0001.jpg (79.4 KB, 289 views)
Old 12-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Phil Garry

Tony:

I've seen that exact piece as a cut-out from a c1910 Sporting Life newspaper (cover I believe). Does yours have a postcard back?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Tony N.

Default Phil

Phil,

It does have a postcard back. I asked Mike Golberg at SGC if it can be graded, but he said not at this time. He was also was unsure of its origin.

Tony
Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Tony

I would love to see a back of that Plank. My hunch is that it probably started life out as a sporting life magazine photo and ended up with a postcard back after the fact (either by a kid in 1910 or a person wanting to deceive, who knows) but without seeing the back it is hard to tell. I believe the same thing about the Joe Jackson Minor League postcard from a few years back as well that sold in a major auction, but that one was graded. No offense at all, just my observation.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I agree Levi is a good guy. I like him a lot. Jim always seems to have a glazed-over look about him. I never really think he is listening to what I am saying...sort of like my wife without boobs
Leon--your wife is better looking than Jim.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Tony N.

Default Plank back

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Tony

I would love to see a back of that Plank. My hunch is that it probably started life out as a sporting life magazine photo and ended up with a postcard back after the fact (either by a kid in 1910 or a person wanting to deceive, who knows) but without seeing the back it is hard to tell. I believe the same thing about the Joe Jackson Minor League postcard from a few years back as well that sold in a major auction, but that one was graded. No offense at all, just my observation.
There is a very small area - I mean very small, on the back, where a piece of the postcard is missing. It does appear that there is printing on the back. I could make out a border. That's about it. I just thought it was a unique looking piece. The seller said he had a Johnny Evers as well, but sold it. I would've liked to have seen the back on that one just to compare the two.

Tony
Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Tony N.

Default Plank Back

I held the photo up to the light, and it is a photo of Jonny Evers on the back. I started to peel off a section of the back, but stopped. I was afraid I would rip the photo. I looks like the same image used on the Ramly issue of Evers.

I'm asuming then, that the other Evers he had for sale had Plank on the back.

Tony
Old 12-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by curch View Post
Rich,
I never said they are bad guys. Sure they are good guys. But I myself own 2 restaurants and everyone that pulls into my parking lot is important.

Joe
I agree. Here's an idea for next time: Most dealers have their business cards or phone #s on display at their tables. Next time that happens, take the card, call the # and ask to speak with the guy who's ignoring the customers.

And FWIW, at least you have shows in the northeast to not attend and bitch about. I can't recall the last show we had in LA. Had to be in 2008 or 2009...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-05-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Tony N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I agree. Here's an idea for next time: Most dealers have their business cards or phone #s on display at their tables. Next time that happens, take the card, call the # and ask to speak with the guy who's ignoring the customers.

And FWIW, at least you have shows in the northeast to not attend and bitch about. I can't recall the last show we had in LA. Had to be in 2008 or 2009...
Whoever was behind the table for Clean Sweep auctions was very ignorant. He had his elbow across the display case, covering up some of his T206's, and was talking to another person working with him. He finally made eye contact with me, and I asked him if he had any Lajoie portraits with a tougher back, he seemed like I bothered him, and replied "I might." He continued to talk to his freind, but never moved his elbow off of the display case. I said "Don't worry about it" and walked away. I will never deal with him, ever!

I had great dealings with Chuck Blue and Roger Burns from Four Star cards. Ted Z and Keith Vari were also very helpful.

Tony
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM

"theri was a huge crowd"

....was there?

For those who go frequently (or at least the last two)....compared to the last Philly show, was there MORE people or LESS and were there MORE dealers or LESS?

The last one defined: pathetic.

There is one dealer last time that when my friend asked a price of one of the cards, he didn't even bother to open the case and said "it's like $2400 or something". I think the SMR was $1500 and a rather common card. This guy has high, HIGH prices and I think he would be shocked if he even made a sale, therefore he already has a defeatist attitude.

I think dealers like this just want to get away from their wives.

DanC
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Plenty of shows in and around Cleveland, FWIW.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Paul Hawk

Was hoping to get to the show this weekend, but I am moving into my new home on Friday and spent all of yesterday packing and what not. Didn't make it there today either :-(

Ted, I'm sure we will meet up again. Hope you enjoyed the pretzels!

Paul

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 PM

Default Meeting Ted Z.

It was nice to meet and chat with Ted while waiting for Mr. Carlton. Thanks for the time Ted.

Oh I long for the GW Motor Lodge days!!!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Plenty of shows in and around Cleveland, FWIW.
Yeah, but it's still Cleveland...A place so apalling that even though it hosts the Rock N Roll HOF, its 25th anniversary concert show was held in New York City because none of the A-list acts would have shown up if it had been in Cleveland. Not for nothing was there a big collective sigh of relief when the 2012 National was switched to Baltmore.

But I don't want to run down the whole town. The airport is great; never busy. And at least you get to enjoy LeBron James. He did? Oh. Never mind. At least you still have the Pro Football HOF? It is? Oh. Well, you do have a very nice ballpark and a really good big market farm team to watch in it. Thanks for developing Sabathia; that's worked out great for us Yankees fans. Could you work on a catcher for us next? Posada isn't getting any younger.

I kid you, my midwestern friend.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-05-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Was the 2012 National site really changed from Cleveland to Baltimore ?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Default show...

I was at the show today and was very disappointed. A lot of empty floor space. Arrived at the show at 9:00am and walked out at 10:00am. Nothing eye opening at least for me.

Regards
Ryan H.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The official website still says Cleveland:

http://www.nsccshow.com/faq.shtml
Old 12-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Rich Klein

Default I thought the National

which was going to be changed to Baltimore was in 2014. And when I checked the link provided a few posts above; my memory was correct -- the 2014 National is the one that may be changed to Baltimore.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-05-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Yeah, but it's still Cleveland...A place so apalling that even though it hosts the Rock N Roll HOF, its 25th anniversary concert show was held in New York City because none of the A-list acts would have shown up if it had been in Cleveland. Not for nothing was there a big collective sigh of relief when the 2012 National was switched to Baltmore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
The official website still says Cleveland:

http://www.nsccshow.com/faq.shtml
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
which was going to be changed to Baltimore was in 2014. And when I checked the link provided a few posts above; my memory was correct -- the 2014 National is the one that may be changed to Baltimore.

Rich
Intersting.

I was at a small local show on Long Island, NY yesterday, and a dealer there that does the National told me that it had been switched to Baltimore for 2012.

I'm hoping, because my wife, son and I had a blast there this year.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Rich Klein

Default Did Sunday get better than the early arrival says

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
I was at the show today and was very disappointed. A lot of empty floor space. Arrived at the show at 9:00am and walked out at 10:00am. Nothing eye opening at least for me.

Regards
Ryan H.
I know that even in the glory days of Willow Grove; Sunday Mornng was dead time -- did the show get more crowded later in the day

Rich
Old 12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Val Kehl

Default I attended this show on ...

Saturday. Drove up with a very long-time collector friend. Picked up my winning from the Goodwin Auction - the shipping-cost savings helps pay for the gas to drive up from VA. Sure, it's not the old Willow Grove or Ft. Washington, but I enjoyed myself even tho I acquired only one card for my type collection. Yes, many of the dealers need to take Customer Relations 101 - I tend to treat those dealers with the same amount of respect (or, lack of) that the give me! Met a few Net54ers (wore my Net54 pin - thanks again Leon!) - had a great chat with Ted Z., who was most helpful and informative. Got introduced to another very long-time vintage card collector from Lynchburg, VA (a friend of Paul Pollard, who passed away last year, from the 1970s or eartlier) who was not familiar with Net54 - we chatted for an hour or so, during time which he promised to join Net54 - this is one of the aspects that makes going to a live show fun! Plus, although the glossy auction catalogs are nice, I get a greater charge out of seeing the good stuff, such as a Boston Garter-Matty, live and in person. Besides, I had to go because I knew I couldn't last until next March (Valley Forge & Chantilly Shows) to get my next bb card show "fix." I also vote for bringing the National back to Baltimore asap and often!
Val