NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Matt Hall

I think you might be judging too much based on your own expereance growing up without cards. The hobby was crazy at the time, Upperdeck was a new company and people were RC prospecting like crazy. My dad was a non collector yet he still took me and my brothers to card shows because it was what kids liked. I personally don't remember anyone without a card collection during my time as a kid, and I'm surprised to hear from someone that didn't collect them. Oh well, you can make up for lost time now.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Hey, if you're right its collecting as usual. If I'm right, we get to afford all the cards we ever wanted. Seems win win. Or at least far from a loss.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Jon

I predict eBay will fall in an ugly scandal of some sort. This will in turn cause prices in our hobby to shift wildly in both directions. Buy everything now and hold on for the ride.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke
1955 Clemente x2
To complete these sets E95, 1959 Topps

Love the hobby.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
We will be able to buy all the E107s we want at T206 prices in just 30 years.
T206 old mill blue back prices!

Looking for w600, t204 & e107 Plank as well as a 14/15 CJ Cobb or Jackson
Old 10-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Alan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
I predict eBay will fall in an ugly scandal of some sort. This will in turn cause prices in our hobby to shift wildly in both directions. Buy everything now and hold on for the ride.
I don't see ebay having a big scandal, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a scandal involving the grading companies and high graded cards and card doctoring, etc.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 PM

Default great thread and posts....

o if we had a crystal ball.....i would have closed the deal on my wagner when i was a kid....iv been chasing it ever since

i see the staples in our hobby hold strong(and maybe appreciate a tad)....

52 mantles, 33 lajoie, ojs, t206, wagner, the real "biggies" hold solid...

i see t206 continue to grow as more collector interest by the day...especially the rarities and collectors will realize how sick some t206 really are(some bias here)...

obscure sets/ example hold but not as rapid growth as the aforementioned cards/sets.....

just one mans humble opinion here
Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
I doubt any comeback for postwar, and I'm glad I sold almost all my '50s cards two years ago...there are just too many of them that came out of the woodwork when grading came into vogue. Who knew? Now, as the great Leonard Cohen put it, Everybody Knows.
Agreed!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Since coming to this board, I've learned that some collectors don't even like modern baseball.

So it seems being a fan of baseball isn't even a prerequisite to collecting baseball cards.
There are a few of us, and I am one, that don't care for MLB today. It's for a lot of reasons starting back with the strike in 94-95 and the subsequent canceling of the world series. That being said I have played baseball or softball for 45 yrs and counting. I still play softball twice a week. I love the game....just not MLB. I love collecting stuff, the lithography of our cards, their values are interesting.....and in a big way, the friendships made.... Our family goes to a few AA local games and they are great. I think part of my issue is that it takes several hundred dollars to take a family to a MLB game now, with everything included. I would rather collect old baseball cards instead of spending hundreds to see a lot of whiny babies playing the game I love, but I know I am in the extreme minority. Liking "any" baseball certainly is not a prerequisite to be on the board.

As for our hobby in the next 5 yrs, I see it being strong as usual. Now is a great time to be collecting some niche cards as they are quite low relative to past values.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Matt Hall

Hey Leon, sounds like you're still a fan of baseball though!

I get the whiney baseball players theme, but I just can't share the same sentiment,,, being a Dodger fan. My opinion, the cost is next to nothing to going Dodgers games, its always been that way. Especially when comparing it to trying to go to a Lakers game. (although you do need something to bite down on when it comes to paying for parking)

Anyway, I didn't mean for my post to be mean spirited toward anyone, I was just making a point that there are people in the hobby that don't care for baseball but still love the cards.

-Matt
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Steven

Im seeing 52 topps mantles often. I have always felt the floor will drop out of this card. He was my Dad's hero growing up, even though he was in Michigan. My father is 63 and covets Mantle cards probably more than anything else but Ive always wondered what happens after his generation is no longer contributing to the hobby. Personally, I could care less about Mantles, it is a somewhat common card relatively speaking and it seems more people shoot past that era straight to pre-WW cards. My its just my slanted view.