NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Default Topps and Fleer Proof Cards

One of my interests is proof cards. Years ago a hobby friend and I compiled a list of proof cards. My main interests lie in Topps and Fleer proof cards, but I'm interested in all. Would like to hear from others with similar interests, and would like to ask members about proof cards they own or have owned, so I can add them to my list. Photos appreciated. Thanks, Craig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4229.jpg (63.3 KB, 312 views)
Old 11-24-2014, 05:16 PM

I think proof cards that are different from the issued cards are fascinating, like the 1977 Topps Danny Thompson and Jerry Grote, but they are WAY too expensive and rare for me to pursue them. I am still curious what the 1970 Topps Dick Selma proof card with him in a Cubs uniform looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1977grotejacksonthompson-thumb-550x260-25866411.jpg (42.1 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 11-26-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 11-25-2014, 01:08 AM

I love them.... I posted these before.... but a couple of my favs....

1976 Topps Bobby Darwin regular version

1976 Topps Bobby Darwin proof version - with helmet and portrait is cropped differently

1977 Topps Al Fitzmorris regular version

1977 Topps Al Fitzmorris proof version in Royals uniform

Ricky Y

Last edited by Rickyy; 03-03-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Curt

If you have an extensive collection, would you happen to have a 1982 Garvey? I am looking for a better scan than what I was sent by someone who owned one at one time. Of course the card itself would be better, but figuring anyone who is selling would have already sold it.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Keith Olbermann did a series on Topps proofs for the old SCD awhile back. Might be on their website still.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Phil Garry

The Reggie - Orioles proof is the all-time most popular Topps proof, no?
Old 11-26-2014, 10:34 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

67 Maris Yankees/cardinals?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Default 1972 Baltimore Team Proof

I collect '72 Topps Proofs. Here is a Baltimore Team card - which is a high numbered card. This regular issue card is notorious for being miscut with most cards in the regular issue having very poor centering. I was happy to find a proof - and it was centered!

Oddly, the regular issue card is cropped in exactly the same way as the proof I have....cutting out 2/3rd of the equipment manager and one other coach. The photo appears to be similar to the regular press issue photo of the team excluding a few players.

The bat boy - always given a front & center spot in the Baltimore team photos - lost both of his hands when he was 2 and used metal hooks to pick up bats. He was their good luck charm, having joined the team in magical year of 1966 when they won their first World Series.

Z Wheat
Old 11-26-2014, 05:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
I collect '72 Topps Proofs. Here is a Baltimore Team card - which is a high numbered card. This regular issue card is notorious for being miscut with most cards in the regular issue having very poor centering. I was happy to find a proof - and it was centered!

Oddly, the regular issue card is cropped in exactly the same way as the proof I have....cutting out 2/3rd of the equipment manager and one other coach. The photo appears to be similar to the regular press issue photo of the team excluding a few players.

The bat boy - always given a front & center spot in the Baltimore team photos - lost both of his hands when he was 2 and used metal hooks to pick up bats. He was their good luck charm, having joined the team in magical year of 1966 when they won their first World Series.

Z Wheat
Hey, how do you determine that cards are actually proofs and not simply printing errors? I have 2 blank backed 72's around here somewhere and have always just referred to them as 'blank backs.' I wonder if they are proofs. There are no cropping differences between them and their counterparts.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 11-26-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 PM

Default 72 Topps Proofs

Good question. There are several types of proofs. The most appealing to me are the Proofs that show the card in its final form. I am not an expert by any means but my proofs may use different inks or have different card stock which is evident when you look at the reverse. In other years the cardstock was slightly different in color or texture.

For the card mentioned above it was originally bought at the 1989 Topps Vault Auction and seller indicated it was a proof. For all intents and purposes it looks like the final card. There really isn't a way to tell if it us a printer error of a proof....other than it is a well centered card.

Z Wheat
Old 11-29-2014, 07:02 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Hey, how do you determine that cards are actually proofs and not simply printing errors? I have 2 blank backed 72's around here somewhere and have always just referred to them as 'blank backs.' I wonder if they are proofs. There are no cropping differences between them and their counterparts.
I don't know if you'd be able to tell if the blank backs were proofs or not unless there were something different about the front of the card, they used a different type of cardboard and/or you had something documenting that it is a proof from Topps. I have always just referred to them as blank backs as well.

Zach... Any proofs of Brooksie from '72? By the way I really like the '72 O's team shot.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Default Proofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I don't know if you'd be able to tell if the blank backs were proofs or not unless there were something different about the front of the card, they used a different type of cardboard and/or you had something documenting that it is a proof from Topps. I have always just referred to them as blank backs as well.

Zach... Any proofs of Brooksie from '72? By the way I really like the '72 O's team shot.
I am certainly not an expert - but there appear to be several classifications of "proofs". This can be seen in the '85 minis proofs (which were never meant to be issued) where clearly the printing company was experimenting with different types of card stock, smudge factor, appearance, drying times etc. Cards are found with blank backs made of 3 different cardboard types. Proofs also cover cards like the Topps Vault "Proof" which appears to be identical to the final card. I believe Topps kept these copies as reference copies, but am not sure.

Sorry no '72 Brooksie Proof. Almost all of the '72 Topps Proofs I've acquired have some connection to the Topps Vault.....looks like Brooks is probably still in the vault....

Z Wheat
Old 11-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Curt

Here is a strip that I bought directly from Topps Vault on ebay. Interestingly, I also won a 75 and 76 strip with Garvey and the certificates for those two strips mention the cards by player, but not so for this 72 strip. It doesn't say if they are proofs per se, but they are blank backed.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

When I think of "proof" I think of something like this, created to check accuracy of the printing or get approval from the decisionmakers:

The Mays on the left is probably a proof; the right one is the as issued card.

This is probably a proof too:

And speaking of Topps Vault uncut strips:

Live Long And Prosper, Bitches!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-29-2014, 04:16 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooksie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Sorry no '72 Brooksie Proof. Almost all of the '72 Topps Proofs I've acquired have some connection to the Topps Vault.....looks like Brooks is probably still in the vault....

Z Wheat
Zach: Do me a favor if a proof of the '72 Topps Brooks card ever comes up in thetoppsvault please let me win it!

Last edited by Mark70Z; 11-29-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Jason

One of the more well known Topps proof. Crazy the things they took out to not make it look like he played for the Yanks in '67, like his hat & Yankee stadium, but what about the pinstripes?
Old 11-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Default 72 Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Zach: Do me a favor if a proof of the '72 Topps Brooks card ever comes up in thetoppsvault please let me win it!
Will do...
Old 12-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
The Reggie - Orioles proof is the all-time most popular Topps proof, no?
I just looked that one up...pretty cool! '77 Topps for those that are interested in googling.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 12-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Default 1977 Topps Reggie Orioles Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
I just looked that one up...pretty cool! '77 Topps for those that are interested in googling.
.....not mine but here is what it looks like. I think Al-R must have a copy of this card...

Z Wheat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77 topps reggie orioles proofs.jpg (42.3 KB, 97 views)