NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Bob C.

Default Ebay Payment Methods

I had heard it was coming, but as strictly a buyer, didn't see or receive any notice or correspondence as to the exact date that Ebay's new payment option that no longer includes Paypal would be rolled out. Just went to checkout for something I won and was greeted by the new format and policy. Apparently the only options I see on the checkout site are to pay by a credit or debit card, neither of which I want to do. After some further searching I saw where there was also supposed to be an Apple Pay option (which I know nothing about and am really not interested in signing up for and using), but there was no indication on the checkout site for that option anyway. I also saw some note about how Paypal would eventually be added back in as a payment option, but not till next year. So since this new payment policy with no Paypal appears to have gone into effect in just the last couple of days (I used Paypal for a purchase on January 7th with no problem), does that mean that Paypal won't be returning as a payment option till sometime in 2020 now?

I also didn't see where I could just send a check, but then I guess there would be no purchase protection in place on Ebay's part so that isn't necessarily an attractive option either. I understand Ebay can do what they want, but I may just stop using them as a purchase venue all together. I have to feel I'm not alone in this thinking, anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:44 PM

I used paypal this afternoon just like normal when checking out, like you I am not really interested in other options, unless we go back to checks/money order.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Ebay

Bob:

You probably bought from a seller who opted into the new payment system where Paypal is not an option. I suspect there will be sellers who opt in now and others who will not opt in and Paypal will continue to be an option for some sellers and not others. I have not opted into the new payment system.

I am not sure if you can tell if a seller has opted into the new payment system before buying from them.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I think the only way to tell is if they don’t offer Paypal as a payment option. However if you opt in to the new payment system, Paypal will also be a payment option in June or July of this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 01-09-2019, 04:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinin View Post
Bob:

You probably bought from a seller who opted into the new payment system where Paypal is not an option. I suspect there will be sellers who opt in now and others who will not opt in and Paypal will continue to be an option for some sellers and not others. I have not opted into the new payment system.

I am not sure if you can tell if a seller has opted into the new payment system before buying from them.
What he said. I went to checkout with a few things in my cart as a test, and Paypal was there to be used.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:58 PM
Chase

Between the erratic application of sales tax on purchases on ebay and now hearing paypal is not an option for those sellers who have opted into the, now voluntary, ebay payment system, this is really becoming a bummer. Of course the good news is that for the time being not all ebay members are being forced to use the new payment system but it is only a matter of time before that changes.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Bob C.

Thanks to those who responded. I forgot about the ability of Seller's to decide if and when to opt into the new payment methodology from Ebay. And in retrospect it makes sense that Ebay couldn't send out notifications to all current and potential Buyers about when the actual changes would take effect for each specific Seller. Still, it was a bummer to suddenly buy something and then when I went to checkout, find the Seller offered no payment option I was happy or comfortable with.

I already sent a message to the Seller about how I can pay him as I don't want to use any of the options he's selected to use. Was just a bit surprising as it is the very first time I've come across this.

And thanks for the update on when they may finally return to using Paypal as an option as well. Had not heard that time frame before.

Now, wasn't there supposed to be a drop dead date by which Ebay was going to force all Seller's to use their new payment platform, whether they wanted to or not? If so, anyone know when that is supposed to be?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Tony

Just an FYI: For those that want to use paypal on the ebay only payment plan or whatever they call it. Get a paypal debit card; it works just like a cc and you don't need to carry a paypal balance, it will draw from your bank if you don't have funds in your account.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I have been approached by eBay about this several times and I asked a lot of questions. eBay payments is coming in about 2 years - it is currently being tested by sellers on a voluntary basis. So, if you opt into eBay payments - PayPal is gone and there is no way to get it back. That was all I needed to hear so I did not opt in and I won’t until everyone has to. I figured I would be making a lot of buyers very angry. But eventually it will be mandatory.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Robert Klevens

I signed up for the new eBay payments last year and quickly got out of it. I did have a few lots that did not change back to PayPal and the buyer paid with his credit card. It took a week for me to receive the Amex payment. eBay does not send the payment to the sellers until they receive it from the credit card company. They better improve this before it becomes mandatory.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

All that has been said about eBay payments being opt-in only (for now), and not opt-outable once opted-in is correct. Ebay has also consistently stated that Paypal will be added as a payment option in July for those who have opted-in.

For those who may not recall, this is similar to when eBay first acquired Paypal in that it was mandatory for sellers to offer Paypal as a payment option, and if they stated anything in their listing to dissuade a buyer from using Paypal, it was grounds for the listing being removed. At that time, there were other online payment options that sellers could offer in addition to Paypal (BidPay comes to mind). Paypal was already the most prevalent choice among buyers, but eBay changed policies and promotions to skew buyer tendencies more and more toward using Paypal.

With eBay no longer owning Paypal, it seems they are trying to repeat the feat with their own payment system. I would expect, as July approaches, there will be more and more promotions requiring use of eBay Payments at checkout in order to take advantage of them (eBay bucks, coupons, etc). I don't know that they will be able to disallow Paypal for ALL sellers by default (remember, it is only disallowed for those who have willingly opted-in to eBay Payments at this time), but there is no reason to think they won't put the hard sell on all sellers to opt-in.

As a seller myself, there is no way I would ever opt-in early to anything that eBay pushes, as I have yet to see a beta-testing "improvement" that actually benefits the seller no matter how they spin it. With 99%+ of my buyers currently using Paypal, I cannot see disallowing Paypal as a payment method being anything but disastrous for my sales. Heck, I'm even afraid to use my "free shipping supplies" coupon code due to checkout requiring eBay Payments, as I'm afraid somewhere in some fine print that I might accidentally opt-in and not be able to undo it!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It sounds like ebay is just trying to feather their own nest again, which is expected in for-profit business. I like paypal but who knows what is next...

Last edited by Leon; 01-11-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:56 AM
James
James Kin.chen

I wonder if when eBay sold Paypal they told the new owners that eBay would be eliminating Paypal as a payment option.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
I wonder if when eBay sold Paypal they told the new owners that eBay would be eliminating Paypal as a payment option.
EBay didn't sell Paypal. They spit into 2 companies. It was because of the financial industry which saw Paypal as the more attractive (profitable) company. EBay is trying to make themselves more profitable by capturing business that went with Paypal when the 2 companies split.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Arnie

Some dealers stopped taking Paypal on Ebay when the new way came out, but most do and I get a Paypal option on them and still use Paypal for almost everything I buy.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:21 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

eBay payments is trying to lure sellers with lower fees. They offer s flat percentage vs PayPal which is 30 cents plus 2.9% which is a killer for smaller transactions. When PayPal is gone I will be interested to see how long it takes eBay to raise fees to match that of PayPal and more.

Last edited by Yastrzemski Sports; 01-12-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 AM
Brad

I'm not personally a big user of Ebay as a seller or buyer because of Paypal. A couple of weeks ago I did purchase a card and was very happy to see I no longer was forced to use Paypal.

I think once more people learn about it the more you will see them opt in and appreciate the other payment types.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 01-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Burbank

A few minutes ago I ordered 2 cards from Burbank Cards. They have 2.5 million items listed for sale. They no longer accept PayPal. I like PayPal, but Burbank can't accept it. I used my eBay bucks. There are a lot of scammers trying to steal account info from eBay and I don't want to use my credit card for my purchases.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:23 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
There are a lot of scammers trying to steal account info from eBay and I don't want to use my credit card for my purchases.
This exactly. I have been using Paypal for many years with minimal hiccups.

I have also been using eBay for many years, but can't think of a single one for which I could say the same, especially in recent years.