NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Authenticators changing their minds

Does anyone know of an example where either JSA or PSA retracted their opinion about an autograph being good, for reasons other than it being proven to them that the item could not physically have been signed by the person?;e.g-the item was produced in 1955 and the supposed signer died in 1950.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Closest I got is when I bought a Larry MacPhail autogrpah authenticated as Lee MacPhail. Turns out the autograph was a stamp.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Jason S!m@nds

I purchased a Ted Williams signed index card in a lot with a PSA/DNA auction LOA. I sent in the Williams to get slabbed (along with a few other items from the lot) and the Williams came back Questionable Authenticity. I called them up and they confirmed the signature was bad and refunded me for the Williams portion of the lot I purchased.

The other items came back authentic.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

There were a bunch of autographs that JSA had certed and then these were resubmitted later with Morales certs. JSA failed every one of these that they had previously certed as authentic. I'm sure these would be easy to find via a google search. I know of others, but don't have any online info as some of these.were on ebay, and others I didn't tag.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
There were a bunch of autographs that JSA had certed and then these were resubmitted later with Morales certs. JSA failed every one of these that they had previously certed as authentic. I'm sure these would be easy to find via a google search. I know of others, but don't have any online info as some of these.were on ebay, and others I didn't tag.
Interesting, so there's some gamesmanship involved.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I purchased a Ted Williams signed index card in a lot with a PSA/DNA auction LOA. I sent in the Williams to get slabbed (along with a few other items from the lot) and the Williams came back Questionable Authenticity. I called them up and they confirmed the signature was bad and refunded me for the Williams portion of the lot I purchased.

The other items came back authentic.
Yes, this is common and understandable. I'll add some clarification, since I hadn't thought about large lots or pre-certs when I posed the question: I'm really thinking about single items like baseballs (individual or multi-signed) and single-signed times - items where there is no question that the authenticator would have had to have certified all signatures and noted any fakes.

I am strongly considering throwing away all of my JSA and PSA certificates - it would be hypocritical to keep them and none of my buyers have ever requested them.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Paul

Here's one I've been meaning to raise on here. In August 20-21, 2004, Hunt Auctions sold this signed T206 card back of Miller Huggins in Lot #730. That auction can still be seen here:

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...=730&lot_qual=

This signature came with an LOA from PSA-DNA that referenced Lot #730 in Hunt's August 20-21, 2004 auction. The LOA included the original signature of James Spence.

Concerned about the authenticity of this item, I recently submitted the card to James Spence for his review. For whatever reason, Spence would not authenticate the item this time based on his concerns over the item's authenticity. I got a letter from JSA, which was also signed by James Spence; however, which now asserted that his considered opinion is that "the submitted item is not, in fact, an authentic example," and the reasons for that opinion.

Neither Hunt nor Spence were interested in making this right, which to me meant I was out about $400. Hunt cited the time lapse as well as that I was not the original purchaser. Spence said it was on PSA/DNA, not him.

The good news is that PSA bought it back from me with a large amount of grading vouchers, which I was comfortable with under the circumstances. Frankly, I was more than pleasantly surprised with PSA's efforts to appease me, even though this was 10 years ago and dealt with a former authenticator of theirs. I gained a lot of respect for them through this process.

The take away for me was the auction house LOAs aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

P.au1 M1f5ud

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 PM
jim quinlisk

I bought a Roberto Clemente autographed 5x7 photo on ebay from a good seller with a PSA authentication. It was a loose photo so I sent it to PSA to have it holdered to protect it.

PSA rejected it, and when I spoke with Joe he told me that they had learned new information regarding Clemente signatures and that they could no longer stand behind the autograph.

PSA sent me a check for the full amount I had paid for the photo ($1500) but sadly it made me reluctant to buy another one.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Yes, this is common and understandable. I'll add some clarification, since I hadn't thought about large lots or pre-certs when I posed the question: I'm really thinking about single items like baseballs (individual or multi-signed) and single-signed times - items where there is no question that the authenticator would have had to have certified all signatures and noted any fakes.

I am strongly considering throwing away all of my JSA and PSA certificates - it would be hypocritical to keep them and none of my buyers have ever requested them.
ALWAYS keep the bill of sale, As a long time buyer of vintage autographs I never ask to see a "letter of opinion". But will often ask to see a bill of sale. Not to see what the item sold for but to track provenance. Even in cases where the seller is long ago deceased. A bill of sale from a reputable dealer is a solid resource.

Vintage autographs For Sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

That's a good idea, Jim. I also generally save the auction catalog page or create a pdf file from the online version.

Glad to hear that PSA was willing to change their minds about the Clemente, based on learning more.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Michael

Default t206

There was a John McGraw signed T206 I wanted to buy. I liked the signature. They (forget if PSA or JSA) said they couldn't tell if it was OK. I passed on purchasing. Another board member acquired it and sent it to the same place along with many other items- so their was a large amount of $ involved. They passed and slabbed it that time.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I save every invoice as well as any photos or scans or photocopies or auction listings of the items I buy. I also save photocopies/scans of items that I get before I buy the item to prove that it is the item I bought, and staple it to the invoice. This is great for insurance companies, as well as to give a "provenance " , however limited, to the item.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Spence and PSA will never change there mind .
Have you ever seen an auction house take down and item and say the authenticator is wrong. It would open a can of worms that would never stop.

Last edited by shelly; 04-09-2014 at 07:04 PM.