NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Default Autographed Cobb Card -- Real or Not Real?

Posted By: T206Collector

Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Absent provenance I assume all autographs to be fake. Where did it originate?

Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...the Doyle and Jones were from the Jeff Morey collection, and so are steeped with provenance. I actually think the Frank Smith was signed by the Frank Smith who played baseball in the 1950s. But I know nothing about the Cobb, except that I liked the signature and bought it.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Paul, I'm looking at my Cobb signatures and I think yours is a fake. His writing style was much more deliberate than what appears above.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

You may have to defer to Jodi or Richard, but I agree that it's probably not legit. At quick glance I thought maybe, but after analyzing a bit more, the B's in Cobb don't seem right. I posted a check I have of his for comparison. A couple of other things that throw up red flags are: 1. was it signed in pencil? Can't recall Cobb signing in pencil much. 2. From what I remember seeing in the past, it seemed Cobb had the tendency to sign on more of a horiz. plane. I can't recall seeing him sign at an angle, although I could be wrong.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Administrator

EDIT: Larry (larryhaven) deleted his post or a mod did. He had stated that all Cobb checks on "First National Bank of Nevada" were bogus. The following was my response to his statement.

Larry,

Please share any info. you might have concerning these checks. I purchased approx. 10 years ago and have always thought it was legitimate.

Mike

Edited to add: There is a similar Bank of Nevada check on e-bay at this moment with PSA/DNA letter accompanying it. Mike Gutierrez, a well-respected autograph expert, was a part of PSA when this was authenticated. REA also auctioned in 2007 (Lot #698) this exact style check that was authenticated by Spence.

From 2007 REA:

Old 10-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Mike - I'm pretty sure Larry is probably the most well-known troll on these boards. I don't believe he has any info on Ty Cobb checks, nor knows anything about them. Point being, unless one of the experts says otherwise, I would imagine there is absolutely nothing wrong with Nevada Cobb checks.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com>

Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Jon,

Thanks for the reply, I thought I remembered him being mentioned as a troll, but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt...shame on me. He had me worried for a second, but I felt a little bit more comfortable after I saw the one in REA.

Mike

Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Mike:

Your Cobb check is fine.

Interesting that the checks from Ruth and Cobb (payable to the IRS) are both from the same year, 1946. It is also interesting that Cobb owed the IRS so much more than Babe. I always heard that Cobb invested well, and was quite well off after baseball. I am sure that Ruth was much better paid during their baseball tenure, but apparently that did not carry through into retirement.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

Cobb was an early investor in Coca-Cola, and it made him his (large) fortune.

PS: The Cobb checks are fine. The Cobb T206 is not.