NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Default negro league related items

Posted By: travis

lets see your negro league related items especially those of nip winters, josh gibson, josh gibson jr., or double duty radcliffe....thanks so much

Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Goebel

I never thought I would hear that on this board, but it is actually one of my favorite cards:

The greatest pitcher in the history of the Eastern Colored League, he had a three or four year run where he was truly dominant.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Matt,

I'm a stat junkie. Can you post his stats (or reports) during the dominating years he had? Thanks!

Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Administrator

The Negro League statistics from that period can vary depending on the source you use, here are a couple examples:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/W/Winters_Nip.stm

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Nip_Winters

http://www.coe.ksu.edu/nlbemuseum/history/players/winters.html

I have yet to see the "official" statistics for Winters from the HOF's recent study, but I'm sure those will be published at some point.

Matt

Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Always one of my favorite cards:

Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Administrator

hey matt is that really ur nip winters...its a great looking card...been looking for one but cant find it....and nice josh gibson is it urs?

Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

No cards, but a signed copy of Great Negro Stars from Pat Quinn's collection.

One might ask: Ray Burris? Bob Lemon???

Old 02-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Matt,

Thanks for the links. I have a general question about Cuban, Negro League or cards of that genre (in general).

I guess this could be a fairly tough genre to collect. If you're into getting all of the HOFers then I guess some of these are a must.

Here's a question for someone that has a lot of information regarding the cards for the Negro League Players in the HOF.

How many of the Negro League HOF players have cards produced?

How many of the cards are from the players playing days versus a card of a player that has already retired?

I think that the following question has been answered before but... Were there any AMERICAN NEGRO LEAGUE baseball cards produced? I mean, anything, regional sets, team sets? Anything?

Edited to add: Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I'm just trying to gather info.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Not some of the players you mentioned but this guy needs to be in the topic here. This was my first Cuban purchase I ever made.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

That piece is awesome.

Also, there are no American produced cards of Negro Leaguers that I know of. Ryan has mentioned to me some trade cards but I've never seen one and so can't really elaborate on it. Ryan, you out there? Also, cardpricer.com lists some team issued KC Monarchs cards or photos, but I have no idea if they really exist or not and, if they do, I don't know what they look like. The closest thing to an American card I can think of is a 46-47 Felices card of Don Newcombe. Yeah, it's a Cuban issue, but the image of Newcombe features him in his Newark Eagles uniform. So, really, no American issued cards of Negro Leaguers which, in a way, is fitting and sad. These guys remain in the shadows even today.

--Chad

Old 02-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

JC,

It's weird that the first Cuban piece you bought is Puerto Rican. Is the "guy" you are talking about Tetelo Vargas or Perucho Cepeda? Neither get the recognition they deserve. Of course, we all know about that Paige guy who was also on the team.

Great piece from probably the greatest season, at least in terms of talent, in the history of Puerto Rico. Many other Negro League HOFers were also there.

Also, doesn't Hal have a Josh Gibson Jr. card? Maybe he can post a scan for us.

-Ryan

Old 02-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Damm Ryan,

You busted me on this. I noticed the PR on the bottom after I posted it. It's no secret I'm new at buying Foreign issues. I f you click on the link below you can see a bigger scan of it. I was showing it because of the Paige on it. But I second what you just said as well..

One question I have about it is. Why is the name C.F. Castro on the bottom? Did he take the photo? JC

http://www.zmotive.com/gallery/Cuban-Cards/1939_40_photo_guayama_team_w_paige?full=1

Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Ryan,

You seem to be the expert on Negro Leaguers. Can you answer any of the following questions:

How many of the Negro League HOF players have cards produced?

How many of the cards are from the players playing days versus a card of a player that has already retired?

I think that the following question has been answered before but... Were there any AMERICAN NEGRO LEAGUE baseball cards produced? I mean, anything, regional sets, team sets? Anything?

Edited to add: Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I'm just trying to gather info.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator

I'm sure Ryan will chime in later, but I thought I'd jump in. How many NLers have cards depends on how you want to classify a Negro Leaguer and how you want to classify a card. Here's a list of NL HOFers to have cards during their playing days:

Pete Hill
Pop Lloyd
Oscar Charleston
Willie Foster
Biz Mackey
Hilton Smith
Cristobal Torriente
Jose Mendez
Willard Brown
Ray Brown
Ray Dandridge
Leon Day
Martin Dihigo
Monte Irvin
Satchel Paige
Andy Cooper

Of course, of NL players like Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson and Ernie Banks have cards, too, though they're obviously known for their non-NL work. Josh Gibson's Toleteros card came after he retired and while I still consider it a contemporaneous card, the issue has been debated to death and I don't see a need to rehash it. Also, I'd say every NL HOFer has a card if you count the stuff that has been printed in recent years. Buck O'Neil also has a card--two actually--and since I think he'll also be a HOFer soon, I thought I'd mention it.

--Chad

Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

The Willie Foster is currently known only in an uncut sheet that Ryan recently auctioned off. So, some of us try not to count Foster as truly having a card. It helps us get over some of life's heartaches. (Oh my god, I'm refering to myself as "us." This must be a disease.)

Old 02-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Travis,

I don't want to hijack this thread. I hope you don't mind me expanding on it.

Chad,

I should remember to include you in my querries for information regarding the Negro Leagues. Thank you for the information. Now I'd like to expand on the thread and see if we can have people post scans of cards of NL HOFers (during their playing days).

Old 02-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

no worries i dont mind a bit...i love listening to anything about cards...

Old 02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

I happen tho own 3 balls signed by Buck O'neill signed within the last year. My aunt who works for ths Kansas City star obtained them and they are definitely legit. Pretty cool pieces for an autograph collection.

Ken

Old 02-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Ryan is still the source--he's the one I ask questions of. I love talking about the NLs, though.

To get a sampling of cards of Negro League HOFers, check out this link:

http://www.cubanbaseballauctions.com/auction.asp

When you get there, go to the advanced search option and pull down Auction #10. This was the greatest auction of all time if you love the Negro League stuff. I'm usually a pretty content and happy guy--great girl, great cats, great family, good health, nice hair, excellent knowledge of dinosaurs etc.--but this auction was one of those few times I wished I were a wealthier man. There was just a temendous amount of good stuff in the auction, including the Mallorquina sheet with the only known Willie Foster and the only known Cabanas Pete Hill. (Be sure to ckeck out the Aguilitas Torriente--that sucker is mine now! It took some work, but I got it!)

--Chad

Old 02-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Old 02-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Here is big gallery of negro league cards

http://www.cubanball.com/nlcards.html