NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Default PSA has a new president

Anyone else read the news yet? Kevin Lenane, the founder of Genamint, will be taking over as the new president at PSA. He will bring his entire 7 months worth of experience with him into his new role. This should go well...

Last edited by Snowman; 10-26-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:57 PM
J1m C0chran

Just get my final 2 subs back! Grading prices like they are, I will be avoiding that trap for a while. He is the czar of hobby AI, so maybe he can make the process more efficient and accurate. And cheaper? Wishful thinking.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:33 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Anyone else read the news yet? Kevin Lenane, the founder of Genamint, will be taking over as the new president at PSA. He will bring his entire 7 months worth of experience with him into his new role. This should go well...
Who knows maybe just maybe an outsider with very little experience and help turn things around with real world ideas and processes......Or Not

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-26-2021, 02:39 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Going off of his academic background and work history, this guy has zero experience actually writing AI code. I wish I could sit down and interview him, but that's not happening. If Nat Turner put him in charge because of his leadership skills and business acumen, that's one thing (although it would be odd for someone with a mere 7 month tenure), but if this decision was made because people with no actual coding experience believe AI is the future of grading at PSA, then this isn't going to end well. I've seen this movie many times before.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:40 PM
Jason Wells

Could it get any worse really?

Last edited by Jason; 10-26-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Could it get any worse really?
Just give it some time, my guess is yes, yes it can.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:51 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Where did you hear this news from?? I am looking and can't find anything. What happened to Steve Sloan??
Old 10-26-2021, 03:30 PM

Dear Collectors,

The past few years at PSA have flown by at breakneck speed. We’ve seen more changes than any of us could have ever imagined: record numbers of daily submissions; the temporary suspension of service levels; the hiring of hundreds of new employees; capacity growth to over 40,000 cards processed per day; and a change in company ownership resulting in a shift from a public company to being privately held. And of course, all this taking place during a global pandemic, just to keep us on our toes.

More change is occurring this week. I have accepted a new position with PSA’s parent company, Collectors Universe, to become its first-ever Chief Marketing Officer, which means I will no longer be serving as PSA President. Personally, and professionally, I welcome the opportunity to further advance PSA’s ever-growing brand and strengthen its No. 1 ranking in the authentication and grading industry. My background before being named PSA President in 2018 was in marketing and product innovation, and I’m eager to apply that experience to PSA and Collectors Universe’s family of brands.

Kevin Lenane, who has been working as our Vice President of Product for the past seven months, will now take over as PSA President. Kevin is an experienced business leader whose company, Genamint, we acquired earlier this year to help PSA implement technology in our grading practices to improve efficiency, quality assurance and turnaround times. Kevin will continue our commitment to improving and advancing the quality of all we do. I pass the baton to Kevin and look forward to working alongside him in the years to come.
Thank you,

Steve Sloan
Collectors Universe Chief Marketing Officer
Old 10-26-2021, 03:59 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I like it!!!
Old 10-26-2021, 04:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I like it!!!
Did you read Kevin's various posts on Blowout a couple weeks back?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:33 PM
Rich Klein

Peter:

Copy those links and send them over please to this side of the highways

Rich
Old 10-26-2021, 04:39 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Did you read Kevin's various posts on Blowout a couple weeks back?
No. Could you please send a link?
Old 10-26-2021, 04:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

On a number of posts, he went back the next day and significantly edited what he had said. Start with 129 which is Kevin.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...1457205&page=6

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:05 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
On a number of posts, he went back the next day and significantly edited what he had said. Start with 129 which is Kevin.

Thanks Peter I'm going to read now.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:19 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

PSA appears to be a company in regression right in the middle of a maelstrom as it pertains to their grading practices.

This does not look good for their supposed iron grip on the grading race.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link Peter. I can already tell this will be a shitshow - the poor judgement it took to go on blowout and take on BODA is likely a harbinger of things to come. That dude was dead meat the minute he posted.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Thanks for the link Peter. I can already tell this will be a shitshow - the poor judgement it took to go on blowout and take on BODA is likely a harbinger of things to come. That dude was dead meat the minute he posted.
I wasn't impressed with his answers to my questions, to the extent he even answered. Oh well.

Old 10-26-2021, 05:46 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

It was probably only a matter of time before another shoe dropped after Joe Orlando departed. Wouldn't be surprised if there are more personnel changes in key positions. Didn't they hire several other VP level folks under the Orlando regime. Some of those folks may be next to be moved to other positions that are not part of any sort of inner circle, or they might become become frustrated and leave because their input is not valued or solicited.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:10 PM
Matt

Third party grading, led by PSA, has been a shitshow from the get-go. The emperor is seen without clothes the second one considers how you send in a card, it gets grade X. Crack and send it back in, it gets grade Y. Review it, it gets grade Z. A grade from them is just one opinion on one day. A snapshot in time. On another day, with another grader, get another opinion. End of the day, it's just strikes and balls being called by different umps on different days. Heck, sometimes the same ump can't even be consistent within the same game. That's grading.

Which makes the only thing crazier the guys who put that sticker and slab on such a pedestal instead of using their own two God-given eyes to determine what looks best to them. Every time some PSA 9 with, let's call it sub-optimal eye appeal, sets some price record at an AH, it boggles my mind.

I hear they are now photographing every card and running at least high value submissions through some kind of recognition software so that cards cannot be cracked and resubbed to get a better grade. That will certainly help curtail doctoring, which is a good thing at least. But for those undergraded cards out there, it also freezes them in undeserving grades.

I always found it a silly and wrong case of over correction, that in some misguided attempt to compensate for overgraded cards in past eras, PSA decided to be overly harsh now and put 8s in 7 holders, etc. I used to think it was to foster regrades and reviews as a revenue stream, as well as control population (an aspect covered in some informative videos online). Whatever the motivation, the result is a tremendous degree of inconsistency in slabbed cards out there. You so often see two cards in the same PSA grade, and one just blows away the other. Again, just reveals how chaotic and silly it all is— the serious amounts of money thrown at PSA slabs notwithstanding.

Last edited by MattyC; 10-26-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:26 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I disagree. His going on Blowout would be considered "poor judgement" only from the perspective of an executive putting himself on the spot and having challenging questions thrown at him. Since he's been a member at Blowout since 2015, he's seen all the evidence of card doctoring they have amassed. He knew that by posting there, he'd get the really tough questions.

But he chose to, anyway. I would call that sincere, as opposed to calculated.

I wouldn't write him off instantly - give him some time and see what he does or doesn't do to address issues raised. Overall I was impressed he was willing to walk into that hornets' nest in the first place, and I think it unreasonable to expect instantaneous action from a guy who just took over his new role at PSA.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I disagree. His going on Blowout would be considered "poor judgement" only from the perspective of an executive putting himself on the spot and having challenging questions thrown at him. Since he's been a member at Blowout since 2015, he's seen all the evidence of card doctoring they have amassed. He knew that by posting there, he'd get the really tough questions.

But he chose to, anyway. I would call that sincere, as opposed to calculated.

I wouldn't write him off instantly - give him some time and see what he does or doesn't do to address issues raised. Overall I was impressed he was willing to walk into that hornets' nest in the first place, and I think it unreasonable to expect instantaneous action from a guy who just took over his new role at PSA.
I generally agree with your post, except that I feel like he is in a no-win situation posting and can only make things worse. The intent is no doubt good, but it’s a lynch mob over there (deservingly so), and nothing he says, and most things he does not say (see Peter’s post), will be construed negatively. Trying to appease a lynch mob gets you hung. I value my neck.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-26-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:16 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I generally agree with your post, except that I feel like he is in a no-win situation posting and can only make things worse. The intent is no doubt good, but it’s a lynch mob over there (deservingly so), and nothing he says, and most things he does not see (see Peter’s post), will be construed negatively. Trying to appease a lynch mob gets you hung. I value my neck.
Agree.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I generally agree with your post, except that I feel like he is in a no-win situation posting and can only make things worse. The intent is no doubt good, but it’s a lynch mob over there (deservingly so), and nothing he says, and most things he does not see (see Peter’s post), will be construed negatively. Trying to appease a lynch mob gets you hung. I value my neck.
I think my questions were fair, if pointed. HE chose to come on as the company spokesman, and if you do that people have a right to ask questions.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-26-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I think my questions were fair, if pointed. HE chose to come on as the company spokesman, and if you do that people have a right to ask questions.
I think all of the questions were fair, and once he opened the discourse, were all very natural questions - especially AJ’s Jax (and the Gretzky Wagner). My only point is that no executive with sense would put themselves out there in that situation. It’s a no win. In fact, it’s a guaranteed loss.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-26-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:41 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I think all of the questions were fair, and once he opened the discourse, were all very natural questions - especially AJ’s Jax (and the Gretzky Wagner). My only point is that no executive with sense would put themselves out there in that situation. It’s a no win. In fact, it’s a guaranteed loss.
Again, if he is just another obfuscating executive then yes, I agree, bad PR move. No-win situation.

But suppose, just suppose, he is actually sincere about making substantive changes at PSA. Yes, I know, the cynics will pile on, but with new ownership and new leadership, all I'm saying is, just maybe these new guys really will improve things in a meaningful way.

Jumping on a guy immediately after he is put in a new role, dumping years of historical mistakes in his lap and expecting immediate resolution, just isn't realistic. Revisit this in 6 months and then criticize him, if it's warranted.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:06 PM

Dude, I am only criticizing the fact that he engaged in a public discourse on blowout. No win. Bad move. Instead, I would have spent the next 6 months improving things and then come out when I had some successes to promote. Do good acts, then speak. Talk is so cheap at this point. I promise you nobody at PSA applauded his going on blowout.

I hope he does good and psa gets straight. All I am saying is that going on blowout was a bad move and not something, I think, a sensible executive would have done. And if that’s where his judgement lies, then I am taking the “under” on this guy

I don’t think you and I are far off - I just don’t think good intentions, as sincere as they may be = good business judgement. In this case, I think it was the opposite. Dead horse beaten!! Peace

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-26-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:22 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Which makes the only thing crazier the guys who put that sticker and slab on such a pedestal instead of using their own two God-given eyes to determine what looks best to them. Every time some PSA 9 with, let's call it sub-optimal eye appeal, sets some price record at an AH, it boggles my mind.
Don't disagree with anything you said, but in regards to your above quote, to those collectors simply concerned about their ranking on the Registry, the only thing they really do care about is the flip and the grade on the card. So since only PSA graded cards get added to the PSA Registry, the grade that PSA puts on a card is all important to them. I'd bet anything that if you had someone working on a Registry set, and two examples of a particular card they still needed came up for sale in an auction where one was in a much older PSA flip and very generously graded as a 5, while the other card was in a much, much newer flip, and while centered and visibly presented as much nicer than the card graded as a 5, only got graded as a 4, that Registry collector will pick the higher graded card every time. Even if the lower graded 4 card actually looks and presents significantly better than the card graded as a 5. In the case of the Registry, the grade will always override the actual condition and presentation of the card. And they'll pay more for that higher grade as well.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Dude, I am only criticizing the fact that he engaged in a public discourse on blowout. No win. Bad move. Instead, I would have spent the next 6 months improving things and then come out when I had some successes to promote. Do good acts, then speak. Talk is so cheap at this point. I promise you nobody at PSA applauded his going on blowout.

I hope he does good and psa gets straight. All I am saying is that going on blowout was a bad move and not something, I think, a sensible executive would have done. And if that’s where his judgement lies, then I am taking the “under” on this guy

I don’t think you and I are far off - I just don’t think good intentions, as sincere as they may be = good business judgement. In this case, I think it was the opposite. Dead horse beaten!! Peace
He probably expected a warmer reception.
And I assume his major edits reflect that PSA indeed was not happy with him.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:53 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I haven't read the Blowhard thread yet, but I do think his initial hiring and the acquisition of Genamint in the first place was mostly about PSA wanting to respond to all of the card doctoring issues that had surfaced. I believe it was their recognition of the fact that they simply weren't capable of fighting this beast head on without the aid of software. I believe they probably saw Genamint primarily as a tool for preventing future fraud and less of a tool for grading cards. It might be almost the entire reason they brought him on board.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:32 PM
Chase

Quote:
He probably expected a warmer reception.
And I assume his major edits reflect that PSA indeed was not happy with him.
If you are right that his edits were from at management's request, why promote him to Sloan's position? I think Kevin is a member here too. His showing on BO was pretty pathetic and I was not impressed with his posts here regarding his own company, Genamint. Much as Snowman annoys me, the posts he has made about AI, Genamint and their place in the hobby were far more informative and comprehensive.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:13 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

BODA surfaced an existential threat to PSA's business model when they proved cards graded by PSA were being broken out, trimmed, re-submitted, and provided a higher grade. If all Kevin does is implement a "fingerprinting" (to use his word) system and data base that prevents this activity, he will "save" PSA and the conspiracy-theory afficianados here and at BODA will go back to work complaining about things they can't prove.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2021, 11:11 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

If he can somehow improve the workflow to unjam their still massive backlog of cards in grading, he will become a hero. I know he is marketing not operations, but if marketing encompasses customer satisfaction, which it should, then he should be involved. I speak as someone who has close to 50 cards with PSA since May 2020.