NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-23-2018, 10:08 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Good info. Johnson side view is available with multiple backs, one of the few that is.
Should have included above. Johnson side view was is used in series 1 with only 3 of the 4 back types. It appears to have replaced HJ Handy, who was not issued with Hassan backs, though I can find no reason as to why he would be pulled. Johnson (side view) was then again issued with series 2, although it is not found with a Tolstoi back for some reason. Handy is a significant short print, though it seems to have no affect on his value

This Johnson card’s anomalous printing pattern (and that all series 2 cards were printed with a series 1 Hassan 30 back) threw me off for years when trying to checklist the Master Set so I knew what exactly I was looking for. Even accounting for its late addition in series 1 and subsequent series 2 printing, it should exist with backs that it clearly does not, though it sure explains why the card is so commonly found. The image was reversed to face the other direction on series 2 printed cards.

There are 638 or 639 cards depending on whether the Cloughen error exists with a Mecca 30 reverse. The only other card I have not seen is the Gillis error with a factory 30 back, but another poster has said they own, so it appears there is at least 1 of it. A master boxing-only set is 285 cards, which I feel confident is the final number. I suppose a Johnson (side view) Tolstoi could surface, but I think that would be surprising.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-25-2018, 12:05 AM
sportscomicfantasy sportscomicfantasy is offline
Michael
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Good info. Johnson side view is available with multiple backs, one of the few that is.
Thanks for adding on, as well as jogging G1911's memory!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-25-2018, 12:07 AM
sportscomicfantasy sportscomicfantasy is offline
Michael
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Should have included above. Johnson side view was is used in series 1 with only 3 of the 4 back types. It appears to have replaced HJ Handy, who was not issued with Hassan backs, though I can find no reason as to why he would be pulled. Johnson (side view) was then again issued with series 2, although it is not found with a Tolstoi back for some reason. Handy is a significant short print, though it seems to have no affect on his value

This Johnson card’s anomalous printing pattern (and that all series 2 cards were printed with a series 1 Hassan 30 back) threw me off for years when trying to checklist the Master Set so I knew what exactly I was looking for. Even accounting for its late addition in series 1 and subsequent series 2 printing, it should exist with backs that it clearly does not, though it sure explains why the card is so commonly found. The image was reversed to face the other direction on series 2 printed cards.

There are 638 or 639 cards depending on whether the Cloughen error exists with a Mecca 30 reverse. The only other card I have not seen is the Gillis error with a factory 30 back, but another poster has said they own, so it appears there is at least 1 of it. A master boxing-only set is 285 cards, which I feel confident is the final number. I suppose a Johnson (side view) Tolstoi could surface, but I think that would be surprising.
Thanks, again for the additional information. I think what you have given me, and the others I have plenty to think about and research what I need. And I am sure if not, that I can ask you guys for help!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscomicfantasy View Post
Thanks, again for the additional information. I think what you have given me, and the others I have plenty to think about and research what I need. And I am sure if not, that I can ask you guys for help!
Glad it helps!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-04-2018, 12:55 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 6,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
A master boxing-only set is 285 cards, which I feel confident is the final number. I suppose a Johnson (side view) Tolstoi could surface, but I think that would be surprising.
That is way too many for me to chase after.
__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!
10% off any BIN in my eBay store (user name: exhibitman) for N54 members buying direct from me through this site instead, just PM me.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.


ebay GSB