NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2015, 12:41 PM

Mickey Mantle. He was at a signing somewhere in Cincy. My grandpa took me and we got a ball signed. Still have it. I was nine at the time and can still remember the size of his hands when he shook mine. Great memories and great thread!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:56 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Willie Mays, Bob Feller would be the older ones. Mel Allen as well.

I struck out Craig Biggio when he was in college and I was in high school. Their field over at Seton Hall had been deluged by rain that night and they used the field that our town team (in South Orange) used as a backup. We were practicing and they came in and we broke out into a scrimmage. I struck out Biggio before Mo Vaughn hit a ball so hard off me that I ducked. It went over the center field fence and I don't think it got higher than 20 feet the whole time.

This same field was used for a Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig barnstorming event. There was a ball at auction recently signed by both with writing on it stating it was from that game in South Orange. Tried to get it but it went too high.

Tom C
Old 01-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Jason Stricker

Hank Aaron and Tom Glavine. Met them both back in the late 80s/early 90s when my Dad took me to a card show in Richmond, VA. They were doing a signing and I got two balls signed. Unfortunately, the balls have toned pretty badly, but still have the memories.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:11 PM

Default A couple of Football legends

I haven't met any baseball hall of famers. The most famous baseball player I met was Paul ONeil. The oldest athletes I have ever met were football legends Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen when I was a senior at Richmond High School in Indiana. They were super nice, but I did not know who they were at the time. If I knew then what I know now, I would have had so many questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 154788_10150358221265193_5092535_n.jpg (70.8 KB, 623 views)
Old 01-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I've never met a HOFer or a non-HOFer. I need to get a life...

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 01-23-2015, 01:23 PM
PeterB

I went to Ted Williams Baseball Camp in the mid 70's. My friend and I were walking back from a game to our bunk house and Ted was strolling across the field by himself straight towards us. My friend had a ball in his glove, I only had some paper, but Ted signed both. When the other kids saw Ted signing, they came running over but Ted told them sorry, no more autographs today.

I still have the piece of paper with his signature.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Did he spit on you?
Ha! At least that would constitute a form of interaction. He just sat there looking at his watch. I wonder why his cheating doesn't come up more often during the steroid discussions...
Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 PM

When I was a kid my dad used to take me to Old Timers Day at Yankee Stadium and we would always sit behind the announcers booth. After the game many old timers would come up to the booth to chat on the air. I once met, and got the autographs of, Dizzy and Daffy Dean. Unfortunately, the ball is long gone.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:45 PM

For seven years, I was a tournament director for a celebrity golf tournament in Pittsburgh, where I live. Most of the guys were veterans or guys that made a few All-Star teams, but my lone HOF experience from it was Bill Mazeroski. Really shy/quiet guy, but extremely nice.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Earl Averill in 1973 at his home was my first HoF'er

Visiting Earl Averill at his Snohomish, Washington home for the purpose of interviewing him for a Sports Scoop magazine article in January 1973 was my first meeting of a Hall of Famer - though he was not yet elected to the Hall of Fame.

At Earl's 1975 Hall of Fame induction a variety of older HoF'ers were met and/or spoken with (briefly) including: Edd Roush, Burleigh Grimes and Rube Marquard, among others.

A 1977 Washington State Sports Collectors Association show featured Earl Averill (HOF 1975), Johnny Mize (1981) and Indian Bob Johnson (20??) signing free autographs. And a 1982 Connecticut show headlined Ted Williams (reportedly his first-ever show) but Duke Snider stopped by to see Ted and should-be HoF'er Smoky Joe Wood was brought to the show by his son to visit with Ted.

Ah... the memories.