NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2018, 04:10 PM
je.sse @rnot

I started collecting in the 80s and still have quite a few in my collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160831_213823.jpg (76.6 KB, 478 views)

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Old 10-09-2018, 09:44 PM
C@rl P@rk

I will always look on 1980s cards with great fondness because they were a huge part of my childhood. Getting my first complete set (1985 Topps) was a thrill I will never forget. When I paid for that set ($18), I felt like I had arrived. Not just a kid buying packs with lots of doubles, but now someone with all 792 cards. I look at that same set now and see how off center so many of the cards were, diamond cuts, soft corners, etc. But I still feel a little of that joy I had when I was 10 whenever I look at them, and that makes them invaluable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

T206:
454/524
73/76 HOF
32/48 SL
0/4 Big 4
2/2 StL Polar Bear SPs

Carlton Fisk PSA Basic Set Registry:
65/83
GPA: 9.51

Finished Topps Complete Base Set Run:
1973 - 1994, 2005 - 2008, 2010, 2012 - 2018
Old 10-11-2018, 05:41 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I like the earlier 80s sets. The 1980 Topps set is one of my all-time favorites. It came out when I was just starting to collect, and has always resonated with me.

I like the 1984 Donruss set a lot, too. And, I admit to being a sucker for 1987 Topps. The wood grain throwback to 1962, and the reappearance of the Topps rookie team trophies made it fun to collect. Jose Canseco, Wally Joyner, Danny Tartabull. Good times when one of them popped in a wax pack.

+1 on the 1980 Topps (although I typically prefer unopened packs on these when purchasing - the 3 pack grocery trays are awesome) and for some strange reason the 84 Donruss also scratches an itch for me

Creator of SetBilder
Vintage Sports Card Software
www.SetBilder.com
Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Sam Lemoine

I don't know if the cards of the 80's are that nice, but they bring back memories of collecting that are very nice. I used to be able to go into stores and grab packs of cards for a small amount of change and add to sets. There were no SP's or redemption cards. I could actually have a reasonable chance to collect a set at a reasonable price. Those days are long gone. I haven't finished a set since the early 1990's, because now everything is tied to inserts and special cards and short prints. Yuck! I actually like this year's Topps set. I bought one pack, then bought the complete set box. I'll sure remember the chase in driving to the store for that complete set. So much better than pulling that 1980 Bobby Bonds to finish the set in August, or that 1983 Willie McGee in late April.

So, every now and then I look at my 80's cards, but mostly for the memories they bring.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You missed it.
Yes there is and it can't get more non vintage than "80s to present"

http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Found it. Thumbs up to you!
Old 10-11-2018, 12:38 PM

Appreciating 80's cards? I thought this was going to be a thread about the rise in value for cards from the 1980's.

Brian
Old 10-11-2018, 01:13 PM
Al Richter

If you had acquired the sets listed in post 4 in the year issued ( or not issued), your appreciation would be significant.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Todd Schultz

I was a huge fan of the 1983 Fleer set, and still like it best of the sets from that decade, along with the 1984 Fleers. Actually, I thought 1983 was a great year for cards all around.

What I liked most about Fleer was their innovation. Not all of these were first-time occurrences, but taken together they showed an attempt to create a better baseball card, IMO.
1) 1983 used team logos on card fronts for the first time in 18 years--I thought this enhanced the look dramatically.
2) Card numbers were in team order, with the World Series teams first to boot. I always sorted my cards by team, so it was an easier way to track and display.
3) The use of the non-white border was nice, especially a non-obtrusive tan. Things got crazy with Fleer and Donruss borders toward the end of the decade, but I liked the subdued look of 1983.
4) An emphasis on posed pics instead of action shots that barely showed the guy’s face. As a kid, I practically memorized what each guy looked like from his card–couldn’t do that very easily with “action” shots of that period. However, a confession–the Ripken and Sandberg cards are classic.
5) The backs. Vertical info is easier to read for me, the stock was white, the columns had shaded columns for differentiation, and they included a small b&w photo of the guy on the back as well.
6) Maybe I was just lucky, but the collation was 1000% better than Topps and Donruss. Buy a box of Fleer and you got few dupes–not so with the others. Of course, no one cares this many years later and with ebay making everything available, but back then it was a consideration for at least some of us.
And listening to our own heartbeats
We stood around the drum
Though it's fainter now, the older I've become

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-11-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Jay Shelton

I always liked the 1981 Topps baseball set due to the caps on the front (a look that was later emulated by the Japanese 1984 Calbee set, series 2 or 3). I also liked the 1981 and 1983 Fleer sets as well as the 1984 Donruss set, purely from a design perspective. 1984 was the last year I collected U.S. cards....
Old 10-11-2018, 04:29 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

'88 Score and '88 Topps had some really cool photography. '83 was my first year collecting so I have a soft spot for Topps and Fleer. '84 & '85 Donruss were cool as well.