NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Default N172 PSA grading

Posted By: Judge Dred

Most people know this but beware if you are looking to bid on the following item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5177151929&rd=1

I think PSA blew it (again). They have given it a grade of "2" with a MK qualifier. The MK (mark) qualifier is for the markings on the back of the card. If you look closely at the front the team name appears to be scrawled out of the picture. I would figure that this qualifies as being defaced and shouldn't get a grade higher than a "1". I can only wish that PSA is as generous when they grade my material when sent to them (which isn't too often).

I'm tempted to bid on it just to own another PSA screw up. I don't know why but I like collecting their huge errors in judgement.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Default N172 PSA grading

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Fred:

Do you think they would have graded it a VG 3 if not for the writing on the back?

Kevin

Old 03-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default N172 PSA grading

Posted By: JimB

This is consistent with overgrading on N172s by all three grading companies.
JimB

Old 03-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default N172 PSA grading

Posted By: anonymousdave

...to read (re-read) the various written standards the grading companies have...regardless of how often they are ignored by the graders.

In this case (from the PSA web-site):

A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Default N172 PSA grading

Posted By: Glenn

Re. 'I would figure that this qualifies as being defaced and shouldn't get a grade higher than a "1".'

I think 2(MK) is lower than a 1. Is that not true?

Old 03-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Default N172 PSA grading

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Will any of the grading companies grade a skinned N-172?

Old 03-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Default N172 PSA grading

Posted By: Judge Dred

I'm pretty sure the mark qualifier was for the writing on the back of the card. I've got a few cards similar to this. They all have the MK qualifier because of the back. What I don't get is that PSA (and SGC for that matter) will cremate an OJ with a little glue residue on the back. Also, I found that it depends on what day of the week it might be, what is the alignment of the moon and stars to "Ork", etc. I've got PSA graded cards with glue residue that have been graded 5 and 6. I had quite a few OJs sent to PSA at one time and none had a qualifier because of the glue residue (they got brutalized on the grade) but if the card had a pencil mark the MK qualifier was added. If it had a pencil mark on a back with glue residue then it really got smashed.

The team (I'm assuming Denver) name appears to be scrawled off of the card in the auction listed and to me that is a major flaw (no qualifier). I wouldn't call it just a scratch. I see it as defaced. That's just my opinion though.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Default N172 PSA grading

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Dan, No grading companies will not grade skinned OJ's. Hay ya never know what they will grade next.

Fred, I think the card is a 1 and day of the week. I have had many of these cards with the team scratch off. They come from the Will Hays find if I'm not mistaken. All the ones I had gradedby SGC came back 10=1's

Old 03-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default N172 PSA grading

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Trevor, thanks. I was gonna start a new thread, because I didn't think anyone saw my post.