NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Brad

Default "Recycling" Childhood Memorabilia

Over the holiday break I went through some old boxes and Rubbermaid tubs from the attic and came across many childhood items that I’d forgotten about. The group included pennants that my dad had as a kid in the 1960s and my stuff from the ‘70s and ‘80s.

I started to put the old posters and pennants back in the attic, as many are torn and all of them have pin holes, but then I decided to make better use of them. I put three of the posters (shown) of Mattingly, Yount and Brett on the empty wall of my basement workshop. I always loved the Yount piece and still remember getting it from a sporting goods store owner in the summer of '83 (a year after Yount had helped Milwaukee to the '82 World Series.) The gentleman took it off the wall in his store to make room for newer materials that were arriving for the fall.

I should note that while I actually do some woodwork and home repairs in this workshop, it’s recently become more of an overflow space for recent baseball card or memorabilia purchases that I haven’t yet put away…

Next I will figure out a way to hang some of those old pennants from the ceiling. I figure their dollar value is almost zero, but the memories are priceless. And I can’t really damage them any more than they already are, so why not enjoy them? This is better than keeping them stowed away in the attic.

Anyone else have a "memorabilia recycling" story to share?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg work shop I.jpg (80.2 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg work shop II.jpg (80.3 KB, 328 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Br3tt K0llin

Awesome!

My FIL recently found his old Seattle Pilots pennant - it's missing a piece of the tip but now hangs out in his garage. Love seeing it when over there.

I have plans for displaying/incorporating some of my 'worthless' material when I complete my shop this year.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Looks good Brad. I still want a nice condition example of that lunch box you have on the shelf. I've wanted one for years, just never really went after it. Someday I'll pick one up though.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 01-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Jimmy

Watch out, your whole basement may end up looking like that - no really that is cool and I always like seeing setups like this - Jimmy
Old 01-11-2018, 08:36 AM
Mike

Love the set up. I recognize that lunch box. My elementary school had one for the kids to play with and I spent hours with it playing imaginary baseball games on the back of the lunch box since it had a baseball diamond on it. I need to have one for the childhood memories alone.

My mom threw out a lot of my baseball stuff. Copies of baseball digest, my bats from Yankees Bat Day, pennants, yearbooks. Looking back I kinda want to give her the business. She threw out a lot of cool stuff. A couple of my Yankees mugs from Fan Appreciation Day survived. I used to go every year for those mugs. I still have a pennant from Pennant day back in 1982 that's all blacken. I need to replace that. Everything else is gone.

Mike