NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Matt

Default My Whitey Ford ttm experience...

Guys............I used to own a couple signed Whitey Ford Bowman RC's that I sent to his company about 15 years ago, but for some stupid reason, I sold them several years ago.

So, a friend got me interested again in ttm autographs this past spring and I decided to send out some RC's to guys that still sign for a fee.......one of which I noticed was Whitey Ford. I bought a decent RC on ebay, sent it out in April, then waited..........

Now, the word on the street is that Whitey has really bad dementia in his old age and tends to mix up peoples' cards, but I was sure this wasn't going to happen to me ......until I received back this signed 1960 Topps card on July 10th. Frustrated with the results and having only 1 longshot option, I mailed him another letter with a SASE and big scan of my exact 51 Bowman card, asking only for it's return, signed or not.

I was shocked when this arrived today!! It's my exact card with most of Whitey's name spelled correctly, at least. Whether it was done on purpose or not, I'm thankful to get it back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img469.jpg (75.6 KB, 639 views)
File Type: jpg img486.jpg (76.8 KB, 637 views)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:42 PM

Perhaps I can interest you in its sister piece?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mccarver, tim (2017)1 mccardinals.jpg (13.0 KB, 624 views)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:51 PM

Or how about this one? Rickey DO sign, some times better than others!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henderson, ricky453 - Copy.jpg (74.0 KB, 619 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 04:57 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

So they kept the card on purpose? If they had mixed them up then it would have been sent to someone else, correct?
Old 10-31-2017, 06:11 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

I literally just sent him two baseballs less than a week ago. I'm hoping for the best...
Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 AM
Matt

Default i believe...

Jim............After hearing from other collectors that Whitey's dementia is severe, it sounds like he has 'handlers' that may help him with mail requests. I know that at the Cooperstown induction signings in 2016, he was accompanied by 'handlers' that took control of the signing, telling him what to sign, how to sign, and where to sign individual items. Whether it is a family member or some other 'handler' that helps with fan mail, I honestly don't believe Whitey has a mental condition good enough for him to open his own mail, sign stuff, and then return items on his own. It sounds like there's more to the story. Just my opinion and glad someone on the other end located my card and sent it back.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:21 AM
Ryan

I sent him an 8x10, a 53' Topps, and $80 a few years back. Got the photo back, never got the 53' Topps. I sent him a letter with a picture of the card, requesting it back. He signed the letter, never got the card LOL.

It still bothers me, but it's a funny story!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:41 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Guys............I used to own a couple signed Whitey Ford Bowman RC's that I sent to his company about 15 years ago, but for some stupid reason, I sold them several years ago.

So, a friend got me interested again in ttm autographs this past spring and I decided to send out some RC's to guys that still sign for a fee.......one of which I noticed was Whitey Ford. I bought a decent RC on ebay, sent it out in April, then waited..........

Now, the word on the street is that Whitey has really bad dementia in his old age and tends to mix up peoples' cards, but I was sure this wasn't going to happen to me ......until I received back this signed 1960 Topps card on July 10th. Frustrated with the results and having only 1 longshot option, I mailed him another letter with a SASE and big scan of my exact 51 Bowman card, asking only for it's return, signed or not.

I was shocked when this arrived today!! It's my exact card with most of Whitey's name spelled correctly, at least. Whether it was done on purpose or not, I'm thankful to get it back.
That is nice that you got your card back. Did you return the 1960 card so it could hopefully get back to its owner?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:11 AM
Matt

Default my thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is nice that you got your card back. Did you return the 1960 card so it could hopefully get back to its owner?
Honestly, I haven't thought about that since 7 pm yesterday, but do you really think that 1960 Topps card would ever reach it's owner if I mailed it back? If anybody can truthfully prove that's their card, I'd be happy to reunite it with them, but nobody on any board that I read regularly is missing a signed '60 Topps. Now that you bring it up, I'll plan to keep that card to help offset the 'half signature' I received, instead of the full signature I paid for on my RC. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Kzoo; 10-31-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Perhaps I can interest you in its sister piece?
Is this serious? If so, is McCarver ill?

I can see a dedication getting messed up... but messing up your own name...
Old 10-31-2017, 08:43 AM

I'll be charitable and say he's temperamental. This was signed at a paid signing this year. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps his mind wasn't on the task at hand. "Cardinals" was on the jersey right above his signature. Maybe he was seeing that and thinking about another obligation, or lunch, and the team name subconsciously traveled from his brain to his writing hand! He can be ornery, but this was a paid signing, so I highly doubt this was done on purpose. You have to feel for the owner of that premium item, though.

(Also, the above examples I posted were not done in order to derail the original thought of this thread, but rather to illustrate how the OP's scenario isn't isolated to just one player or one reason for ruining an item.)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:56 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Wow, very interesting hearing about Whitey and your experience. I also love seeing players mess up their own signatures....
Old 11-01-2017, 07:33 AM

Once me and my dad went to a show so he could get Rod Carew's autograph and he asked Rod if he would sign his full name. He looked at my dad and said, "No, I can't." So my dad asked him why not and Rod said, "Because I don't know how. I haven't written it since I was a kid."
Old 11-02-2017, 07:06 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Once me and my dad went to a show so he could get Rod Carew's autograph and he asked Rod if he would sign his full name. He looked at my dad and said, "No, I can't." So my dad asked him why not and Rod said, "Because I don't know how. I haven't written it since I was a kid."
Old 11-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Tony W.

Sorry to hear about your '51 Whitey Ford card. I am HIGHLY intrigued by him and McCarver misspelling their own names. I've seen several ball players struggle with spelling words in inscriptions, but I've never seen a misspelled name. Guessing the first is a product of dementia, but not sure about McCarver. Thank you for sharing this.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Matt

Default my guess....

I'm guessing in this case is that someone tells Whitey exactly what to write due to his advanced stage of dementia. So they would say 'Whitey Ford', but he obviously must have thought they said 'Whitey Four' and simply wrote it out, not realizing his own name is not spelled this way. It's truly sad and has to be extremely tough for family members to slowly witness this over the years for loved ones.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Bob Davies

It may be just me...

Why is he even doing this, if he's in that state. For Gawd's sake, let him live the rest of his days in peace, without family members working the guy.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:06 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
It may be just me...

Why is he even doing this, if he's in that state. For Gawd's sake, let him live the rest of his days in peace, without family members working the guy.
It ain't just you. Well said.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
It may be just me...

It's a valid point, but it may actually be recommended as therapeutic for him.

After he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, Ronald Reagan still went into his LA office a few days a week for as long as he could. He would often sit there and sign stacks of bookplates. It was recommended by his doctors.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

I joined another website that has players addresses for ttm. As a Yankee fan I wanted to look for older Yankees to give this a try. I sent him 2 balls about a week and a half ago, days before this post was started. First time trying ttm. So I can add to this story if he sends anything back. So far all I know is that he received my package via ups. I left a shipping label in the box and cash with a nice hand written note. Hoping it gets back to me
Old 11-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Just a side note, I should have done a little more research, I had no idea he is suffering from dimentia.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:56 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I just found this on ebay. It's another Whitey Ford, where his last name looks like "Four". Thing is, if you really look at it, you can see how it is probably "Ford", just without the two strokes of the d connected.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford.jpg (80.0 KB, 390 views)

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 12-02-2017, 07:36 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
How did he sign his contracts or other legal paperwork?
Old 12-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is so sad when it gets to that point. I met Emile Griffith, an ATG HOF boxer, at a HOF show one year where he was deeply into the throes of dementia a bit before he passed away. He signed these cards for me but practically had to be told which end of the pen to use:

It isn't necessarily a case of exploitation, though. There is evidence that it helps people with dementia to engage in activities as best as they are able. It was also clear that Griffith clearly enjoyed the attention and veneration he received from the fans at the show. I am not sure he understood why everyone wanted to meet him and wish him well, but he definitely enjoyed the experience.

The saddest one I ever saw was Jeff Conaway (Bobby Wheeler from Taxi). He was at a Hollywood memorabilia show at a table signing for fans but sat there sobbing about the pain he was in (a spinal injury and opiate withdrawal). No one went to his table...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Ryan

I've got a TTM out to Whitey right now, I saw he cashed the check the other day and his signature looked normal on that! I'll post a pic when I get it in, hopefully soon.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I can't sign my "full" name, either.

Doug
Old 12-04-2017, 04:29 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I met Dr. Ruth (remember her?!) way back when and asked her to write something dirty on the photo she was autographing. She giggled and gave me a bemused look that said, "I can't do THAT."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default Feeling Stupid

What does TTM sand for? Through the Mail is the only thing i can come up with....
Old 12-04-2017, 04:58 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
What does TTM sand for? Through the Mail is the only thing i can come up with....
You are correct.Through the mail
Old 12-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
How did he sign his contracts or other legal paperwork?
I have signed "Doug Goodman" on every piece of legal paperwork I have ever needed to sign. Houses, cars, medical, you name it.

Only once has the bank given me a problem, but when I explained to the bank manager that he worked for me, and pointed out that there was a bank across the street, then took out one of my checks that has "customer since 1977" printed on it and wrote a check to myself for the total amount in my linked accounts, and after signing my name the way I always sign my name, said "where am I banking tomorrow?" the problem went away.

Doug "I laugh at my own jokes, so you don't have to" Goodman
Old 12-06-2017, 06:42 AM
Ryan

Mine came in yesterday, very pleased:

Old 01-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Resurrecting this thread. Does anyone know if he's still signing, or is his dementia to the point where he can't?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Resurrecting this thread. Does anyone know if he's still signing, or is his dementia to the point where he can't?
The SCF data base shows a success in Aug.with a $40 fee,with a few still pending.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Casey

What is SCF database?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks Steve. Might be worth the risk of blowing 40 bucks to get my magazine signed.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Michael

they took my $ and didn't sign last year
Old 01-19-2019, 12:07 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
What is SCF database?
Sportscardforum they have a large database of addresses successes and failures from many different sports
Old 01-19-2019, 06:29 PM

No longer signing. A few returns have come back unsigned with a "Mr. Ford is no longer signing autographs" note written by a woman.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
No longer signing. A few returns have come back unsigned with a "Mr. Ford is no longer signing autographs" note written by a woman.
Thanks! Was rummaging my archives and found a magazine I had always intended on getting signed. I guess I can forget about it.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:41 PM
Mike Navarro

That Rickey Henderson ball is really cool.