NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default How Cool Was This (Attn Carlton)

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I was the underbidder, but I only made a half-hearted attempt to win it since I have my eyes (wallet) on something else at the moment. Have you ever seen this, Carlton?

[linked image]

http://tinyurl.com/5fv7w9

Old 11-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...a modern box with a fake stamp.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 11-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I don't think so....I think these came from a stash of items that went to a copyright office.

edited to add: I came to that conclusion by looking at his other items.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

the box looks a little fishy to me, but I could be mistaken

Old 11-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

That's funny...when something's mint everybody, me included, gets nervous...well...it's certainly great looking, and can't say I recall seeing a previous example (but maybe)...anyway..the lithography is super...on the one hand it is awfully new looking cardboard....but on the other hand...if it's fake, there would have to be more, based on, someone would never find one box the exact size needed to fit the labels perfect like that...

Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

This is the scarey part of collecting. I just picked up a beer sign on ebay and it has a mate that i'm also picking up....but i really am nervous about it because something just doesn't seem right....then again....too much work for a unique fake. these are also lithographer prototypes so who knows...kind of like this fishy sardine box...looks like brand new cardboard...but who knows.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S.

Definitely looks authentic - and could be unique. I'm sure not all packaging submitted to the patent office went into full production. Years ago I pulled out a stash of unused cardboard signs (not baseball related unfortunately) from a closed pharmacy dating back 100 years. The printing and cardboard was as fresh as the day it was made, so it's likely an item of this nature could remain clean if kept in a filing cabinet or such for years. Great piece.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

"the box looks a little fishy to me, but I could be mistaken"

Old 11-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

I can find this reference to the "Home-Run" brand sardines on google books... It has a date of 1916.. I think this certainly proves that brand did exist. I will look some more and see if I can find an example of the same package.

by North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station, Agricultural College. Food Dept - Food - 1916

Page 57
Carrington Ice Cream Factory, Carrington, ND Fat 15.4%. 11744 American Sardines
with Mustard. Home Run Brand. Sea Coast Canning Co., Eastport, Me. ...
No preview available