NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM
JT R0berts

Default Bill Mastro - Great Guy

Judge rejects 30 month prison term agreement. Think the Judge bid in one of Mastro's auctions and now it is pay back time?

Bye, Bye Bill....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...-doctored.html
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I am hoping the judge rejected the plea because he plans an upward departure, but he could also not want "his hand tied" so he can downward depart from the guidelines for a lower sentence. .

I like how they refer to him as the "King of memorabilia". He used to walk around the shows like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, it was pitiful watching dealers and collectors acting like he was some celebrity. This guy did more damage to our hobby than just about anyone, but what amazes me even more is that his company lives on and people still bid on things like nothing ever happened.

These guys are thieves and nothing more.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I am hoping the judge rejected the plea because he plans an upward departure, but he could also not want "his hand tied" so he can downward depart from the guidelines for a lower sentence. .

I like how they refer to him as the "King of memorabilia". He used to walk around the shows like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, it was pitiful watching dealers and collectors acting like he was some celebrity. This guy did more damage to our hobby than just about anyone, but what amazes me even more is that his company lives on and people still bid on things like nothing ever happened.

These guys are thieves and nothing more.
+1
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM

Default JimStinson

The LAST time I bid on anything at auction was in Mastro net it was a document with an est of $3,000 to $,4000 I bid $11,000 and WON IT for $10,500 .......................man was I lucky, what a coincidence ! Good luck to everyone with their bids.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
The LAST time I bid on anything at auction was in Mastro net it was a document with an est of $3,000 to $,4000 I bid $11,000 and WON IT for $10,500 .......................man was I lucky, what a coincidence ! Good luck to everyone with their bids.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
Judge rejects 30 month prison term agreement. Think the Judge bid in one of Mastro's auctions and now it is pay back time?

Bye, Bye Bill....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...-doctored.html
So what does this say about PSA, which determined that the Mastro-trimmed Wagner card was authentic (unaltered) and NrMT-MT?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen in Time View Post
So what does this say about PSA, which determined that the Mastro-trimmed Wagner card was authentic (unaltered) and NrMT-MT?
Well, since this was the first card they slabbed, maybe they hadn't thought of that ("A") yet. Or it was part of their business plan from the beginning to deceive.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

It's who you know, not what you have.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Well, since this was the first card they slabbed, maybe they hadn't thought of that ("A") yet. Or it was part of their business plan from the beginning to deceive.
Planned from the beginning to deceive??? Noooooooooooo
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Craig

What do you guys think will happen now with regard to the "value" of this Wagner card? Drop? Stay about the same? Increase? And will there be any demand from collectors and/or auction houses for it to be resubmitted to PSA? It seems that since Mastro has admitted under oath to trimming the card, PSA has a lot of explaining to do. The question is - will they? And could there be legal consequences?

I suspect this aspect of the whole scandal is just as important to the hobby (and the public's perception of it) as is the acknowledged shill bidding, etc.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
What do you guys think will happen now with regard to the "value" of this Wagner card? Drop? Stay about the same? Increase? And will there be any demand from collectors and/or auction houses for it to be resubmitted to PSA? It seems that since Mastro has admitted under oath to trimming the card, PSA has a lot of explaining to do. The question is - will they? And could there be legal consequences?

I suspect this aspect of the whole scandal is just as important to the hobby (and the public's perception of it) as is the acknowledged shill bidding, etc.
Craig - resubmitting it to PSA would be a wonderful idea. What would they do with it now? Knowing that it was trimmed could they legitimately do anything other than give it an A?
And you did accurately state that PSA has a lot of explaining to do. I would not hold my breath for that to happen.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-13-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I find it hard to believe that PSA had no idea. Bill Hughes told both Heitman and myself it was trimmed. If he told me, don't you think they would have had some idea as as well? When I called Bruce he said who cares its worth it because of all the publicity. I really don't think this is a big surprise. I think that most of the people on the card side felt it was trimmed.The card will stay the same because of its history. Just my opinion.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM

I think the value of the Wagner will fall. However, for the last several years at least, that the card was possibly trimmed was almost common knowledge amongst card collectors.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I find it hard to believe that PSA had no idea. Bill Hughes told both Heitman and myself it was trimmed. If he told me, don't you think they would have had some idea as as well? When I called Bruce he said who cares its worth it because of all the publicity. I really don't think this is a big surprise. I think that most of the people on the card side felt it was trimmed.The card will stay the same because of its history. Just my opinion.

Interesting stuff Shelly
Old 04-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Me too!!!! Multiple times, with the next to final bid (shill) coming in just below my ceiling bid, usually in the dead of night! I guess the possibility of reparations to those of us that were scammed by the shill bidding scheme has long been off the legal table.

I do have a question though that I'm certain can be answered. I don't really collect cards (have all those from my childhood) - but that's it.

If I remember correctly, Mastro cut this famous Wagner from an uncut strip. When collectors cut cards from Jello packages or Post cereal boxes and submit them to PSA, do they just get an "Authentic" or do they actually receive a grade, e.g. NrMT? If they receive a grade then how would the Wagner be any different.

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Chris

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Mastro cut this famous Wagner from an uncut strip. When collectors cut cards from Jello packages or Post cereal boxes and submit them to PSA, do they just get an "Authentic" or do they actually receive a grade, e.g. NrMT? If they receive a grade then how would the Wagner be any different.

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.
Post and Jello cards have a black checkered boarder that was supposed to serve as a guideline for cutting them. If they have been cut outside that line, and the whole line is intact, PSA will assign a numerical grade. If not, all it gets is authentic. The distinction between this and the Wagner, in my eyes, is that individual owners were supposed to be cutting the Post/Jello cards.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Post and Jello cards have a black checkered boarder that was supposed to serve as a guideline for cutting them. If they have been cut outside that line, and the whole line is intact, PSA will assign a numerical grade. If not, all it gets is authentic. The distinction between this and the Wagner, in my eyes, is that individual owners were supposed to be cutting the Post/Jello cards.
Thank you!

Craig
Old 04-13-2013, 06:27 PM

All you card guys... That white thing around the sides of a card is a "border." "Border." A "boarder" is someone who lives in your house.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
A "boarder" is someone who lives in your house.
David, I think Tony Hawk was a "boarder", too.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Tom

Mastro is scheduled to be sentenced August 20, 2015. Should be interesting to see how this plays out. When is Dougie sentenced?
Old 05-30-2015, 06:24 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Hand Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
The Post, Jello and Bazooka cards I have, when graded, have "HAND CUT" beneath the name of player.