NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Barry Jock

Default Showing off a "rare" beauty

Showing off a rare beauty. Garvey is known for not signing his 82 Fleer. If you send him a donation and this card, he will keep your donation and return the card unsigned. He offers no solid explanation why he wont sign this card. This was found in an old IP grapher's collection. It must have been signed very shortly after 82 Fleer was released. Who knows how many Garvey signed before he decided not to anymore. I have never seen or heard of another. For those of you who enjoy this kind of thing...enjoy!

Old 06-09-2015, 01:49 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Why does he refuse to sign this one? I love to hear the player's rationale.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Barry Jock

He gives no definite answer or his answer is always different. He seems to skirt around the reason.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:30 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I'll bet it has to do with the patch on the left sleeve.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default My only interaction with Garvey

My father used to promote shows. We had Garvey and I did my usual of picking out a card to get signed. I picked the Fleer because I thought it looked cool. I got in line and waited to get it signed. When my turn came up and the slider handed him the card he looked at me and said, "Are you effing stupid, kid." I was horrified. The slider looked at Garvey like he was going to kill him.

I had no idea he had signed them for charity only. I just grabbed a card and got in line. We never had him back at a show after that.

I hate Steve "Never Getting in the HOF" Garvey

PS: I was 10 years old

Last edited by Laxcat; 06-09-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
My father used to promote shows. We had Garvey and I did my usual of picking out a card to get signed. I picked the Fleer because I thought it looked cool. I got in line and waited to get it signed. When my turn came up and the slider handed him the card he looked at me and said, "Are you effing stupid, kid." I was horrified. The slider looked at Garvey like he was going to kill him.

I had no idea he had signed them for charity only. I just grabbed a card and got in line. We never had him back at a show after that.

I have similar stories of d-bags who gave me a hard time and did not sign or signed, but the ordeal left me with such a bad taste, I could not enter the signed item into my collection. Idiot number one: Yogi Berra

Who can shove that medal as far as I am concerned.

I completely understand how you feel. I'd better stop this post before my language gets the best of me.

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 06-09-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
I'll bet it has to do with the patch on the left sleeve.
What is the deal with the patch?
Old 06-09-2015, 06:19 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
What is the deal with the patch?
John,

I was just being a wiseass....I know some guys won't sign a card if there is something that bothers them asthetically, but I don't see anything here.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:46 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
I have similar stories of d-bags who gave me a hard time and did not sign or signed, but the ordeal left me with such a bad taste, I could not enter the signed item into my collection. Idiot number one: Yogi Berra

Who can shove that medal as far as I am concerned.

I completely understand how you feel. I'd better stop this post before my language gets the best of me.
I would love to hear of your experience with Yogi . I saw him at shows several times and never saw him or heard him give anybody a hard time. Yes at times he could be a little short with people especially when they talked about his Yogi-isms or asked him to put one on their item (s) . He would also get a little ticked when back in the days when he and Dale were at shows together and you bought a ticket which would get you both of their autographs , and people would get Yogi's autograph and totally bypass Dale. That continued until they both sat next to each other so you had to get them both.
Those are my only Yogi issues but they seem to pale next to your experience.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default similar experience with both Berra and Mays

I had the misfortunate of paying for, and asking to have one item signed each, by Yogi Berra and Willie Mays, at separate Jim Hawkins promoted Plymouth Michigan shows in the late 1980's. Both were extremely grouchy. Not the experience I was expecting from either; especially Yogi. I had been previously warned about Mays unpredictable temperament. Guess I caught up in the misconception that Yogi was as happy in real life as he appeared in the various television commercials of that era. Must add that his son, who was attending the show with him, wasn't much better. Seems like the son fed off of the irritation his father radiated. Got to admit Bob Gibson surprised me with how pleasant and gracious a signer he was at a smaller show in Flint Michigan. Gehringer always quite formal, but reacted very well to the use of manners (Please, and especially Thank you). Kaline was alittle stiff until I wished him a "Happy Birthday" when it was my turn, at a Gibraltar Trade Show in Troy Michigan. Boy, you thought I gave him the best present. He instantly opened up, laughed, and everyone in line and around him responded in kind. Ah, memories.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Not to be a dick or anything . . .

. . . but wasn't 1982 right around when the first news of Steve Garvey
(All-American Boy / Mr. Clean) extramarital affairs first leaked ?

I believe the Garvey's divorced in 1983.

As I recall, besides having his marriage go up in flames, he took a lot of heat
for it, lost some sizable endorsement deals, and perhaps suffered irreparable
damage to possible HOF consideration.

Yea, I could see where he might resent anything that reminds him of 1982/1983.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 06-10-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Will he also not sign the 1982 Topps card? Or is it strictly Fleer?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Barry Jock

Strictly this 82 Fleer card.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:16 PM
Karl Mattson

No idea if it's true, but it was posted on another board that Garvey won't sign the Fleer card because "he signed one for a charity and put 1/1 on it... So he doesn't want another one out there..."
Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Curt

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have collected Garvey items for many years. I only have one item I received in person as well, just for perspective. However, that one just looks funny to me. The "St" transition doesn't look at all like what I am used to seeing.

I have a signed 82 Fleer, by the way. I am not 100% sure about it, but it does seen to look similar to what is signature looks like though. I'll never know for sure and I am certainly n ot planning to send it to PSA, so it will remain a mystery as long as I own it.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:19 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default OP

Sorry for getting this off topic. I have to say that Garvey is nice! Definitely a tough auto. I just have this inner compulsion to tell that story whenever the topic comes up. Once again, great card despite my personal feeling of the man.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:38 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post

This is an interesting anecdote. Why the F would Garvey tell that to a then 10 year old kid? Did he expect that everybody should know that he doesn't sign '82 Fleers?? I've been collecting for decades and I wasn't aware of it until now...so, I'm wondering why he would be such a dck to a kid.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Tom

I am 52 years old, have been collection baseball cards since 1971 and I did not know that until now!

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 06-11-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:43 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Jason
I have no idea. I had interactions with 100's of players. He was the only one that was outright rude to me. I think he thought I was trying to pull one over on him. I wasn't and even if I was that was no way for a grown man to act.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I looked at the autographed Garveys I got through the mail (TTM) in probably 1983 and the 1982 Fleer is conspicuously absent. I have his '82 Topps 'in action' and his 1982 Donruss and Donruss Diamond Kings cards signed. And back then I loved getting these 'new' types of cards signed, so I'm assuming I sent the Fleer along and he ditched it. Just a theory, but I'm thinking it's an accurate theory. Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:07 AM

Interesting response about Steve Garvey being so prickly. I never would have guessed...

I've gotten Steve Garvey twice at formal signings that were free. Both times he struck me as interesting and very polite.

About a year ago I engaged him in a brief conversation about his NL consecutive game streak. For those of you that don't know, Garvey holds the NL equivalent of Cal Ripken Jr.'s AL and ML consecutive games played record. Garvey played over 1,000 consecutive games without a break, which is pretty tough to do as an everyday player.

Other than his obvious indiscretions with the ladies (he once impregnated two different women while being married to Cindy Garvey), he always appeared to be PC and at one point was even considering a second career in politics.

It should be noted that one teammate, HOF Don Sutton, hated Garvey and called him a fake. The two of them got into a pretty good fist fight in the Dodgers locker room one day, with both ending up with obvious bruises and cuts.....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-12-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Interesting response about Steve Garvey being so prickly. I never would have guessed...

I've gotten Steve Garvey twice at formal signings that were free. Both times he struck me as interesting and very polite.

About a year ago I engaged him in a brief conversation about his NL consecutive game streak. For those of you that don't know, Garvey holds the NL equivalent of Cal Ripken Jr.'s AL and ML consecutive games played record. Garvey played over 1,000 consecutive games without a break, which is pretty tough to do as an everyday player.

Other than his obvious indiscretions with the ladies (he once impregnated two different women while being married to Cindy Garvey), he always appeared to be PC and at one point was even considering a second career in politics.

It should be noted that one teammate, HOF Don Sutton, hated Garvey and called him a fake. The two of them got into a pretty good fist fight in the Dodgers locker room one day, with both ending up with obvious bruises and cuts.....
Yeah I remember that fight. At the time Garvey could do no wrong and my friends and I just hated Sutton for that...now I'm more of a Sutton fan and Garvey is, well, Garvey.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:44 PM
Chuck Tapia

Here's what Tommy Lasorda had to say about the Two faced idiot....Garvey the cricket player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rUy9FmzsxY

(talks about Garvey at the 3:30 mark)
Old 06-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Jim H

If anybody runs into Mr. Garvey remind him that he owes me $5! Back in the early '80's Mr. Garvey was doing a free signing (do that do that anymore?) in Flint, Michigan. Steve graduated from Michigan State and I was a fan of Michigan Wolverines football. The two teams were playing each other the next day. I was wearing a U of M t-shirt that day and as I walked up to Steve he started messing with me about the shirt and said he shouldn't sign for me. Being a punk teenager I told him let's make a bet on the game. He said he would, for all the money in my wallet. Of course I only had five bucks with me. Michigan won the game and Steve skipped town without paying.
I want my $5!

Last edited by jimtigers65; 06-12-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
if anybody runs into mr. Garvey remind him that he owes me $5! Back in the early '80's mr. Garvey was doing a free signing (do that do that anymore?) in flint, michigan. Steve graduated from michigan state and i was a fan of michigan wolverines football. The two teams were playing each other the next day. I was wearing a u of m t-shirt that day and as i walked up to steve he started messing with me about the shirt and said he shouldn't sign for me. Being a punk teenager i told him let's make a bet on the game. He said he would, for all the money in my wallet. Of course i only had five bucks with me. Michigan won the game and steve skipped town without paying.
I want my $5!
lol

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-12-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
If anybody runs into Mr. Garvey remind him that he owes me $5! Back in the early '80's Mr. Garvey was doing a free signing (do that do that anymore?) in Flint, Michigan. Steve graduated from Michigan State and I was a fan of Michigan Wolverines football. The two teams were playing each other the next day. I was wearing a U of M t-shirt that day and as I walked up to Steve he started messing with me about the shirt and said he shouldn't sign for me. Being a punk teenager I told him let's make a bet on the game. He said he would, for all the money in my wallet. Of course I only had five bucks with me. Michigan won the game and Steve skipped town without paying.
I want my $5!

accounting for inflation, he owes you approximately $14!
Old 06-13-2015, 11:05 AM
qu@n nguy3n

from all the stories i've read about his post-career dealings he's not a good guy. this card does nothing for me just because he refused to sign it, there are a million of garvey autos that i can buy for dirt cheap...his sig is not a rarity, and i don't see any beauty in it.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Barry Jock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
from all the stories i've read about his post-career dealings he's not a good guy. this card does nothing for me just because he refused to sign it, there are a million of garvey autos that i can buy for dirt cheap...his sig is not a rarity, and i don't see any beauty in it.
Of course many set and player collectors have a very differing opinion. But hey, its not an item for everyone, like him or not. Thats the great thing about our hobby....some people see the beauty in things that others scoff at.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:35 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

FWIW I've meet Garvey 4 times, all after his career, and each time he couldn't have been nicer. Twice were in settings where he had been paid to attend. Once in the stands at Washington DC when the Dodgers were in town and again in Spring Training. I always felt he was very approachable and a willing signer. Not to say he was a stand-up individual because obviously others have had different experiences. Just pointing out how our encounters with athletes yield varying results, and just because a guy treats autograph seekers well doesn't mean he's necessarily a good person, or vice versa.