NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-02-2018, 09:21 PM
je.sse @rnot

Nice one neal. That and the 93 refractor have been on my want list for a while now.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:12 PM
Jonathan Sterling

The first big 1/1 cards were 1987 Flair Masterpiece cards. Each player had 3 variations row 0 row 1 and row 2. I do remember someone using Ebay to buy all 3 Griffey Jr's paying like 15k for the last one he needed.. The flair Legacy cards 1/150 still sell well as player collectors chase them down. I will post some of my jr collection tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:34 AM

Neal - Love the Desert Shield card. A great tribute to our men of service and an iconic player back in 1991.
Nice pick up.
RayB
Old 07-06-2018, 08:02 AM
D@le Irv*n

I believe my only 2 Griffey cards? The top one has already been posted by Peter but I don't believe the second one below it has?

With his Father in the background watching over him, I happen to think it's a great card. (sorry for the lack of individual scans. That is something I need to do)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Griffey, Walker, Thomas.jpg (78.0 KB, 225 views)
Old 07-06-2018, 08:45 AM

I don't collect Griffey per se, but I do happen to have this one as a part of my Trophy card collection.
Enjoy.
RayB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90TGriffeyJr10.jpg (84.2 KB, 218 views)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Ne@l K

Great Griffey's fellas! RayB - love the colors on the 90!

added this one with some eBay bucks - may try to get every 1997 issue out there one day

1997 Griffey.jpg

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

A couple of my JRs:

2015 Topps Tier 1- KEN GRIFFEY JR- Auto.jpg

1992 UD Mickey Mantle and Ken Griffey Jr - PSA-DNA.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Some incredible cards in here. Snagged a '99 Century Legends auto finally. Just wrapped up moving but will scan it this week, love that set!

The '93 Refractor is at the top of my, 'next time I'm ready to spend four figures on a card...' list.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:41 PM
Ne@l K

Griffey has some great cards - thx for sharing!

WillBBC - on my list as well. Almost pulled the trigger once on a 9 …

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 07-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Jay Cee

If looking for a non auto card. Get his hardest minor league card and first pro card. Here is the Best Platinum card which could only be obtained at the ball park in a team set bag. The population is 1300. One of my favorite Griffey cards along with the 93 Finest refractors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7941.jpg (76.7 KB, 176 views)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

JC you might well be right and I am sure you know this market better than I do, but the problem I see with that card is it's in a no man's land -- it's not his first card (that would be 87 Bellingham) and it's not a rookie card. Sort of like the 2010 Trouts. Sure, the supply is scarce, but as a friend of mine once famously said, sometimes the only thing lower than the supply is the demand.

The 80 Ripkens have the advantage (to me anyhow) of being his first card. Same with the Chong Modesto Hendersons.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-09-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:14 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

That '88 Platinum is a great card. Mine is a 8 but PSA didn't label it Platinum. Rare card - especially by 80s standards. That GEM 10 is outstanding!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
JC you might well be right and I am sure you know this market better than I do, but the problem I see with that card is it's in a no man's land -- it's not his first card (that would be 87 Bellingham) and it's not a rookie card. Sort of like the 2010 Trouts. Sure, the supply is scarce, but as a friend of mine once famously said, sometimes the only thing lower than the supply is the demand.

The 80 Ripkens have the advantage (to me anyhow) of being his first card. Same with the Chong Modesto Hendersons.
A cool card nonetheless …. buy what you like

Old 07-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Johnny MaZilli

A shame such a wonderful played played during the junk era.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:

Yes, thats true the Bellingham is an earlier card. Population coming in around 10k as I recall. Your friend sounds like a wise person, as my friend once said sometimes a card is too rare for it's own good.

I feel that pre rookie cards have been a nitche for decades. Very under valued IMO, and I just like collecting the hard to find rare cards of potential HOFers and HOFers of the modern era.

Ive always likes the San Beradino Griffeys (platinum and blue) and even though the blue is three times easier to find, it is ten times more difficult to get a high grade in mainly because of chipping and that little print line lower left.

Agreed on your two examples that those cards are the undisputed first card and they are very scarce too! All the ingridients for making them a great investment longterm!
Old 07-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
A shame such a wonderful played played during the junk era.
Haha, more cards to love!
Old 07-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
Haha, more cards to love!
Indeed!

Some 90s issue were hardly junk ….

#PRIMOSALE pickup today

1997 Pinnacle AWAY Griffey.jpg

Old 07-12-2018, 01:16 PM

Couple of recent Griffeys.

From my favorite autograph set.

And the 95 box topper to go on my bookshelf!
Old 07-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Ne@l K

nice Griffs!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Ne@l K

this one just arrived! I have been looking for one for years but never pulled the trigger on the few that came up

1993 Finest Griffey PSA 9.jpg

Old 07-16-2018, 03:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Outstanding. You took the ride on the snowmobile.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-16-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Outstanding. You took the ride on the snowmobile.
LOL

ya gotta do what ya gotta do

Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM

Hot damn, congrats on the pickup!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Tony Conte

Nice Refractor Pickup!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
Hot damn, congrats on the pickup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
Nice Refractor Pickup!
Thanks fellas - strange feeling (for me) spending $$$ on modern, but hopefully the card stays in demand

Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 AM

Neal - Congrats on the 93TF Refractor Griffey! Outstanding!
Only 240 more of them for you to acquire.
You now officially have a killer Griffey collection.
RayB
Old 07-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
Neal - Congrats on the 93TF Refractor Griffey! Outstanding!
Only 240 more of them for you to acquire.
You now officially have a killer Griffey collection.
RayB
Thx Ray - strangely this card is more exciting to me than vintage pickups. Still love old cardboard but this newer stuff is waaay cool.

Always have been a fan of Junior

Old 07-18-2018, 02:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
this one just arrived! I have been looking for one for years but never pulled the trigger on the few that came up

Attachment 323074
Very nice, Neal.

Congrats.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Very nice, Neal.

Congrats.
Thanks Dale

Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 PM
Ne@l K

New addition

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Next thing we know you'll be buying boxes at Walmart.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Next thing we know you'll be buying boxes at Walmart.
Sold out

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 08-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Ne@l K

Hoping to find a nice San Bernadino PSA 8-9, and was able to pick this up

1987 Bellingham.jpg

Old 08-02-2018, 08:05 AM

Neal - Very nice Belli ! Your making a strong bid for the top spot on that Griffey Registered set!
Always great to see a collector follow their passion for a player.
Solid choice, premier HOF'er!
RayB
Old 08-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

You need autos and game used and a nice Griffey Mantle double auto.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:02 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
You need autos and game used and a nice Griffey Mantle double auto.
the Griff/Mick would be a nice add, but not for my wallet …. these are 100 dollar cards

1999SP Griffey.jpg

2007.jpg

Old 08-11-2018, 08:54 PM
Josh Adams

Great card Neal. You really have a "great eye."
Old 08-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox View Post
Great card Neal. You really have a "great eye."

Here's a pretty cool card imo

1991 Score.jpg

Old 08-17-2018, 09:51 AM
Josh

I always thought the '94 UD Mantle/Griffey dual auto was an incredible card.

The pic isn't my card, I wish...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (76.8 KB, 182 views)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:48 PM
Ne@l K

a grail card for sure

Old 08-17-2018, 08:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
a grail card for sure
As someone, maybe David R., cautioned in another thread, careful with the dual signed ones, some of the Mantles may be fake.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
As someone, maybe David R., cautioned in another thread, careful with the dual signed ones, some of the Mantles may be fake.
yup

I'll stick with the TC beak-wetters lol

Old 08-19-2018, 12:11 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:

I understand the card, I just think it is so ugly. I wish it had been done better. I've debated picking one up, but cant pull the trigger

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I understand the card, I just think it is so ugly. I wish it had been done better. I've debated picking one up, but cant pull the trigger
Yah, it's cartoonish.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

The card does look cartoonish but it has the nicest signatures of their respective generations. The mick had a lot of competition as there were a lot of nice signatures during his time (teddy ballgame comes to my mind). For Griffey, it’s not even close. His contemporaries almost all had repulsive signatures. Can you imagine seeing the Big Hurt’s chickenscratch next to Mantle’s gorgeous penmanship? Because of the signatures I think it’s one of the most iconic cards of the 90’s.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Ne@l K

another cheap addition

1992 Topps McDonalds.jpg

Old 08-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Michael Skiles

Default GriffeyJr

Lots of awesome Griffey Jrs. Here is one I didn't see. I also have an uncut sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GriffeyJr MrTurkey.jpg (76.2 KB, 196 views)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:09 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
The card does look cartoonish but it has the nicest signatures of their respective generations. The mick had a lot of competition as there were a lot of nice signatures during his time (teddy ballgame comes to my mind). For Griffey, it’s not even close. His contemporaries almost all had repulsive signatures. Can you imagine seeing the Big Hurt’s chickenscratch next to Mantle’s gorgeous penmanship? Because of the signatures I think it’s one of the most iconic cards of the 90’s.
Who started the chickenscratch thing anyhow? And yes Ted signed beautifully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg williamsauto.jpg (77.3 KB, 190 views)

Old 08-30-2018, 06:59 PM
Ne@l K

Thanks for posting that Michael!

Old 10-08-2018, 01:06 PM

First one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89UD001Griffey10myscan.jpg (78.5 KB, 137 views)