NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Rob

Here are after pics...Diluted mixture to 60% bleach and 40% water. Quite a bit of running red but it all washed away.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Mike

That is a gorgous pennant

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Rob

I wish your before and afters were on the same page. Is the red any less bright after you lose some of it? I can't really tell. Red is a color you rarely find on Giants pennants.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:37 PM
Rob

Yeah Rob...I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately, it pushed over to the next page.

It's funny with this one. The red ran like crazy but was no worse for the wear. Doesn't look faded at all. The red of my Giants pennants did look slightly lighter. Not enough that you'd notice unless you had before and after pics but I could tell. This one the red looks just as dark.

However...the blue does look slightly lighter. Which is weird, because the blue didn't run at all. The bleach must've just lightened it some. Not too noticeable and again the after product looks much better than the before...even more so than is evident in the pics.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I can see the slightly lighter blue graphics. Did you dilute the bleach a bit this time, or did you stay with 100% bleach?

This one definitely went from a "trader" to a "keeper". Looks so much better.... great job!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I can see the slightly lighter blue graphics. Did you dilute the bleach a bit this time, or did you stay with 100% bleach?

This one definitely went from a "trader" to a "keeper". Looks so much better.... great job!
Thanks Mark. Yeah...This one was a 60% bleach 40% water mix. Nothing scientific here, my bleach spray bottle just happened to be 40% empty lol.

There was a point in the process, when the red was running everywhere that I thought screw it. Lost cause. Then I noticed the running red started to run off completely with each successive spray. If I was in love with the pennant I probably would've stopped sooner. But because I was willing to risk it all, I got better results.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Mi.ke Huds*n

Happy George Burns Day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GeorgeBurnsDay.jpg (52.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 06-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrenBats View Post
Happy George Burns Day.
He was great in "Oh God".
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Rob

Default Namath Pennant

Before and after...

Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Rob

Decided to go with a spine transplant on this one. Didn't want to risk bleach on the green and I had an era appropriate white spine in my closet.

I did a little internet research on local tailors and seamstresses...read reviews, etc. Decided to try one that's right down the road from my house. When I called to explain what I'd be bringing in, I was little nervous to hear an Asian woman on the line. Wasn't sure she would grasp what I was going for...wasn't sure how vintage sports pennant would translate...but she said sure bring it in.

When I got there I explained what I wanted. I didn't want it to look new. I didn't want it to look like a repair. I brought in a nice example for her to compare. Then I left. For the next 48 hours I had visions of everything that could go wrong. But to my surprise, she got it completely. When I saw it, I was very happy. Then she pointed out that she purposely sewed the spine on a little crooked, as the original spine had been....so a second set of holes wouldn't be visible. She totally got it and nailed. I told her she'd be seeing more "flags" (as she called it" in the coming weeks.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Rob

I love it! I'm sure some may not like our penchant for "improvements," but I have always been one to try and clean things up.

Mark - did you get the soiled pennant you were after?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Rob

Default And now for something completely different...

On a bit of a cold streak with sellers on eBay lately. One problem after another...This was two different sellers but both happened to arrive on the same day. Yes...There are pennants inside.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Rob

I'm sure this will flatten right out...

Old 06-14-2017, 08:14 PM
Rob

This one wasn't quite as bad...but not the way I'd do it...or want it.

This is actually the second Saran Wrap roll up I've gotten in the past few months...Interesting technique.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Haha, Rob.... I've gotten the dreaded "Saran Wrap Roll" a few times myself.

Interesting technique, and like you say... not the preferred method. But it definitely beats that horrific Redskins fold-over job. I'd return that one just on principle alone.... even if it does iron out.

Excellent work by your seamstress... that's about the best result you could've hoped for on the Jets. Looks great! So did she do both the removal of the old spine and the addition of the new? Beautiful work and great pennant!
Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Mark - did you get the soiled pennant you were after?
Nope... high under-bidder once again. I was afraid to bid too high on it, given the red graphics and uncertain results.

But it might have still been a great candidate for bleach. I liked it because that particular Running Cardinal Mascot is always associated with Football (never Baseball). A rare one, and a Championship Season... pictured below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cards.jpg (62.3 KB, 228 views)
Old 06-15-2017, 06:53 AM
Rob

Quote:
Haha, Rob.... I've gotten the dreaded "Saran Wrap Roll" a few times myself.

Interesting technique, and like you say... not the preferred method. But it definitely beats that horrific Redskins fold-over job. I'd return that one just on principle alone.... even if it does iron out.

Excellent work by your seamstress... that's about the best result you could've hoped for on the Jets. Looks great! So did she do both the removal of the old spine and the addition of the new? Beautiful work and great pennant!
I'll take the Saran Wrap Roll Up method over the Pennant Origami method every time.

Yes...She handled the removal too. And saved the original spine for me so I can give it a bleach job and hopefully reuse it. Can't wait to bring my Giants pennants over to her.

The rolled up lot of pennants I just rec'd I actually purchased for their spines...Lots of orange and red ones which I need. But now that I've flattened them out...They're kind of growing on me. Just a bunch of 1969-70's era baseball. Might keep a couple of the nicer ones...Unfortunately, the nicer ones also have the nicest spines.

Notice my Redskins replacement pennant...that was the look I was going for. But, missed it by that much.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:21 AM
Rob

That was a cool one Mark. Too bad it got away.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Mike

Wow Rob, I am blown away by how cool that Namath Jets pennant came out. Kudos to the seamstress for a wonderful job.

I was never really much of a pennant collector. Then I started reading this thread from the beginning and seeing how cool the vintage pennants look and dragged out a couple of the ones I owned. Now I have the fever and placed a few bids on some 70's Yankees, Jets, Knicks & Islanders pennants. Hope I win at least one to jump start the collection.

There is one pennant in particular I am looking for. It was given out by the Yankees back in 1982. It features the 1981 AL Championship team. I want it because it was from one of the first games (second one, actually) I went to and it's one of the happiest memories I have with my grand mom who is now passed on. I actually still have it, but its all dark with age and grime. I don't think its a candidate for the bleach treatment as it's a darker pennant and has a team photo on it. I just want a cleaner one so I can display it.

Mike
Old 06-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I'm sure this will flatten right out...

un-freaking-believable.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Nope... high under-bidder once again. I was afraid to bid too high on it, given the red graphics and uncertain results.

But it might have still been a great candidate for bleach. I liked it because that particular Running Cardinal Mascot is always associated with Football (never Baseball). A rare one, and a Championship Season... pictured below.
Dang! I was really hoping for another Bleach Brother.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrenBats View Post
Happy George Burns Day.

Okay THAT has to be acknowledged. Thanks Mike and a happy belated George Burns Day to you.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That Burns is a great pennant. Only other one I've seen was sold by Bob McCann, probably a decade ago. Can't be many others to have survived, let alone in that condition!

Last edited by perezfan; 06-16-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Mi.ke Huds*n

Thanks guys. That was me who purchased it from McCann on eBay about 10 years ago. I think that it originated from an old newspaper reporter's collection.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 PM
John €ffenheim

Just picked this one up at an antique mall today.

Last edited by effe; 06-23-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Oooooh that's a nice Braves Pennant. Super-rare.

Great pickup!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Dang! I was really hoping for another Bleach Brother.
Rob-

Finally found a "great white" candidate, and will attempt the bleaching process next week. Thanks for the advice, and stay tuned for the before and after.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Rob

Default Namath Spine

Old Namath Spine cleaned up and ready for a new late 60's early 70's era home.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Erik

Default Recent pick-ups

I just picked up these guys. I know you have seen these before, but I thought they were still worth showing.

Also, that Phillies pennant...any thoughts on it? It's like the 'Chargers' one I showed a while back...haha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phillies.jpg (77.3 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg 4.1.jpg (54.8 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg 4.2.jpg (51.7 KB, 394 views)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 PM

Default Phillies pennant

Erik, The Phillies pennant you posted is a recent reproduction of a 1936-38 bf3 jumbo pennant. Below is a group of originals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zombie1.jpg (73.8 KB, 379 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 05:31 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Matty,
What is the history on those pennants? I don't really collect any of the smaller or premium pennants, but I do have the white 1936 Yankees pennant that I believe is part of that set. I know it is very difficult, but don't know the exact history. Just wondering. Thanks, Jason
Old 06-29-2017, 05:55 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

If I recall correctly it was a send in premium, but they seem much more difficult to find than that. Just wondering if you have any additional history other than what might be somewhat common knowledge. Here is my Yankees version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1369.jpg (71.4 KB, 423 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 05:59 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Millers pennant

Erik,
I don't post much of my collection, but you did mention the Millers hockey pennant. I have never seen another, nor have I seen a Saints version (pre WHA) like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1367.jpg (85.3 KB, 427 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 AM

Default 1936 premium pennants

The red ball sales company existed only from 1936 to 1938 During that period they produced an enormous number of small bf3 pennants. One set that they produced contained 16 pennants corresponding to the 16 major league teams. Below is an original 1936 salesman's sample displaying the 16 small pennants. with a promotion to buy a large pennant of the same style. For some reason, the only pennant that varies in color is the 1936 pennant shown above. There are several of these pennants that are extremely rare. Others are a little more common. Also shown below is a envelope with the same offer for the large pennants. Finally I have also included one of the gum wrappers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg type 4.jpg (68.2 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg envelope 2.jpg (57.8 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg luckey stick 1.jpg (34.5 KB, 421 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
The red ball sales company existed only from 1936 to 1938 During that period they produced an enormous number of small bf3 pennants. One set that they produced contained 16 pennants corresponding to the 16 major league teams. Below is an original 1936 salesman's sample displaying the 16 small pennants. with a promotion to buy a large pennant of the same style. For some reason, the only pennant that varies in color is the 1936 pennant shown above. There are several of these pennants that are extremely rare. Others are a little more common. Also shown below is a envelope with the same offer for the large pennants. Finally I have also included one of the gum wrappers.
Great info!

Now, a dumb question.....who were the Bees?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Boston Braves
Old 06-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Those pennants are great, and I appreciate getting more info about their origin, but I'd like them even more if all of them were in the appropriate colors for each team. Not sure if others feel the same way, but I much prefer pennants to be in a team's primary or secondary colors.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:40 PM

Default premiums

Here are a few of the premiums that I own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0209.jpg (75.8 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0197.jpg (73.6 KB, 400 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:04 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
Here are a few of the premiums that I own.
Question regarding the large premiums in your case. I see two large Charlie Grimm pennants in green, and another Cubs in pink. Is it also a Grimm or someone else? Can't make out the name.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 06-29-2017, 06:45 PM

Default pennant

Here is a little better picture. It is Grimm. It is an eight inch pennant, and is almost a perfect match for the smaller type 9 bf3 of Grimm. Probably larger because he was the mgr. of the cubs in 37 as Dykes was the manager of the White Sox. I presume they were made as part of the type 9 set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0588.jpg (81.0 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by matty39; 06-29-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Rob

Great stuff, Matty! I see you also have the Giants 1905 postcard :drool:
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Erik

Matty - thanks for the education and history - awesome stuff!!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Erik

Holy cow!! There it is! Queue the music...dim the lights. That's epic - I have not seen it since I lost the bid to you on eBay! I absolutely love it! Thank you for sharing it! ...if you ever want to let it go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Erik,
I don't post much of my collection, but you did mention the Millers hockey pennant. I have never seen another, nor have I seen a Saints version (pre WHA) like this.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Mike

Awesome collection Matty39!

Mike
Old 07-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Marc

Default New to me

Picked up two pennants this week.

If anyone has any other San Jose Bees pennants, I'd like to see them. There is one Bees pennant that I've been hunting for a few years.

If you are bored and need something interesting to read, check out the story on the Bad News Bees (linke below).

https://www.si.com/mlb/2016/09/16/ba...ris-steve-howe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY Giants pennant.jpg (58.5 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg SJ Bees pennant.jpg (52.4 KB, 494 views)
Old 07-12-2017, 01:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Great info!

Now, a dumb question.....who were the Bees?
Here's a different version of the Bees (Braves) Pennant. It's the only full-sized version I've ever encountered, and I'm still trying to decide if it's terribly ugly or beautiful. The "artist" made them look more like Flies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bees.jpg (70.6 KB, 436 views)
Old 07-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
Here's a different version of the Bees (Braves) Pennant. It's the only full-sized version I've ever encountered, and I'm still trying to decide if it's terribly ugly or beautiful. The "artist" made them look more like Flies.
Historically, it's beautiful.

Artistically, it's terribly ugly.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 PM
Marc

Quote:
Historically, it's beautiful.

Artistically, it's terribly ugly.
My first reaction was fly. I do kind of like it, though.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:24 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yup.... should've gone with the traditional Bumble Bee.

Perhaps that's why this one is so rare... they halted production as soon as they saw the anatomically incorrect Fly.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:56 AM
Rob

Default Minneapolis Millers

For the Minnesota collector out there...Not sure how common this one is. Pretty common style for major league teams.

http://r.ebay.com/TQ3NhP