NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Default 1920's Shotwell MFG - Red Grange cards?

Posted By: Leon

Any one know anything about these? A visitor to my web site sent this email...

Hi Leon!
I was on your website and looked at some of your vintage material. It looks wonderful. I have a couple of pieces that I would like to ask you about and get an idea of what they are worth. Just a brief background. I'm working on a project that I'm finding very interesting and am blogging as I go. Hhaving recently retired I'm working on a trash to cash project. I turned in three bags of aluminum cans and got $3 in return and I'm now on a journey to see what I can turn the $3 into and am writing a blog and sharing the experience. I've only been at it for two weeks and have already gotten into some fascinating items. I'll give you the address of my blog later and you can go there and follow along if you like, but right now I need the help of an expert of sorts. I bought a book at an auction. The book itself was rather insignificant however the young man who owned the book had an interesting set of book marks in the book. There were two small pictures of Red Grange about 1.5"x3" . They are inscribed as #2 A Forward Pass and #11 On the Run. The back indicates that they are #2 and #11 of a 12 piece set. Also that if postage is sent in the amount of 40 cents they will send an 11"x14" autographed photo and for 35 cents postage an album of the complete collection and the story of Red Granges career will be sent. I'm enclosing pictures of the pieces. The backs are identical so I'm only sending one photo of the back. I found them along with a home work assignment that the young man did in April of 1926, so I assume they predate that time.They are obviously advertising pieces from the Shotwell Mfg. Co. but I don't know anything about them. I would like to share info on my blog and would be happy to credit you for the information and include a link to your website. In being true to my stated goal for my blog I must sell them. I would like to know what a fair price is and also if you would be interested in purchasing them for your collection. I would appreciate any help you can give me. My blog is http://cans-to-cash.blogspot.com . I would certainly welcome any help you can give me.
Thanks
Dick

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks to one of the non sports guys for sending me this link...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/526604/thread/1203023936/Shotwell+Candy+-+Two+Red+Grange+sets+-+1926+-

Old 11-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Blaisdell

Hi Leon,

I am getting ready to head out of town this morning so here is a quick description. The Shotwell Mfg. was a candy manufacturer and the Grange cards were inserts in one of their candy bars. They can be found in two ways:

1926 Shotwell Red Grange Blank Back

This 24 card set was inserted with Shotwell candy bars and are usually found with stains and light creasing due to packaging. This set was based on Red Grange's Movie One Minute to play.

1926 Shotwell Red Grange Ad Back

One of the few football sets issued in the 1920's. A twelve card series depicts various scences with Red Grange. Not to be confused with the also rare 24-card series based on the movie One Minute to Play. Cards were printed on a very thin and brittle paper stock and inserted in candy bars.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Administrator

If anyone knows an approximate value it would be a big help.....much appreciated too!!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Just for fun this is the only baseball Shotwell card I have ever seen ...and owned...

[linked image]

Old 11-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Leon,

Bobby B has them listed in VCP, but generally they are under $100 in PSA 1, maybe just under $200 for a PSA 3.

There was an SGC 30 that sold for $499 about 2 years ago.

They don't seem widely traded, so there isn't much info.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan

I paid about $300 for this...
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

I see them offered ocasionally for 100+ raw, and 300+ graded. As other posters have said, they are pretty scarce, so there isn't much data in regards to "book value." They are worth simply what someone is willing to pay for them...which is typically several hundred.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks again guys....,the information has been passed on and is appreciated....best regards