NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default paypal question, sorry OT

Posted By: rob

Hey guys, a lot of you have had issues with scam e-mails, so I have a question.

I got an e-mail saying my payment was received for an item that I did not purchase. I immediately went to paypal, filled out al my info to dispute the claim and it said the purchase was reversed.

Did I just do something wrong? Did someone get my info and try to purchase an item with it?

Is this a common scam? any help would be appreciated,

Rob

Old 12-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Will

Scams involving Ebay and Pay Pal are rampant. Do not ever reply to any question involving Ebay or Pay Pal passwords from an email. Always go directly to their website to log in.

The emails you get that ask you to log in from the email are scams. They've been going on for a couple years but what's frustrating is that they get more clever each round and more difficult to detect.

Saying that, let me repeat, never log into either Ebay or Pay Pal from anywhere but their website.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Did you click on the link in the email to go to PayPal?

or did you type in 'paypal.com' in your web browser?

If you clicked and went through their email... I think you just got scammed.

If that is the case, log onto paypal and change your password as soon as possible - also call Paypal.

thats what I would do.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

I get numerous scam emails everyday as I am a frequent Ebay seller. It amazes me the different scemes they use to trick you, they are constantly coming up with a new twist. If the email doesn't compute with any transactions you had, it is a scam. Do not ever give any information to anybody from an email. Just delete it and forget about it.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

I think I just got scammed...I guess I should change my cc too.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Will

Rob, You may have but don't fret. Follow the advice above and change your PP password immediately and check any recent transactions. If there are none you're likely OK - just change that password. Plus, your idea of changing your cc # as well is a good idea.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

thanks guys, I hate this sh-t.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You should call your cc company immediately if you haven't and close that account and get a new one. Definitely scammed and every second counts....

Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

Ebay knows your FULL REAL NAME (or the one that you have given them ) and they would NEVER use a generic greeting like "Dear Ebay Member..."

If you see a generic greeting then you know it's a fake/scam e-mail.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

I have closed that CC number and the credit agencies have been alerted, I also changed my paypal login password, anyhting else I am not thinking of?

thanks again,

Rob

Old 12-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Try to think of any other pertinent info you filled out...license number etc.....and take as much precaution as possible. This also happened to Barry Sloate not too long ago and it took several days, I believe, to get everything worked out. The cc and bank info are the most important as that is what they are after (money)....Recently someone stole my checking account number and started printing checks and cashing them....their name and my account. I caught the issue about 3 days and $500 into it. Bank of America was awesome and refunded my money almost immediately. They then told the 3 merchants that took the checks that they were losing their money for them. I closed that account which I had opened in 1984 or 1985....so that was a bummer but I wasn't out any money....regards

Old 12-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

thanks all for your insight and help, despite readig the various warnings here I still fell for this crap, I feel so stupid. So someone has my social and verbal password, hopefully by cancelling my CC and changing the password to paypal I have reduced my risk greatly.

thanks again for the advice,

Rob