NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Al Jurgela

Default My wife's responses

OK... just thought that I would do the same with my wife... for a different point of view (like the Chinese newspaper perspective) as she is Mexican and in her 40's and lived in the USA for less than 10 years.

I asked another question... who are 5 most important athletes of all time (no pre-established criteria)... Here are the responses:

Ali
Pele
Diego Maradona
Jackie Robinson
Babe Ruth

A bit interesting for me that there were 2 baseball players, although Jackie is probably more important for the social impact. I kindof expected 2 soccer players (and these two specifically) and Ali.

She thought that pretty much all of the good baseball players played for the Yankees.

Her knowledge of Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige are probably due to my collecting focus as well, I would not assume that most wives know these guys!

Also my wife asked if we can open a "support group" for the wives of collectors!

Here are the results on the broader list:

Babe Ruth Yes
Muhammad Ali Yes
Jackie Robinson Yes
Pele Yes
Lou Gehrig No
Mickey Mantle Yes - player for the Red Sox
Joe Frazier No
Roberto Clemente Yes - player for Yankees
Joe DiMaggio Yes - player for the Yankees
Ty Cobb Yes - Player for the Yankees
Shoeless Joe Jackson No
Wilt Chamberlain - No
Bill Russell - No (heard the name)
Jack Dempsey - No
Joe Louis - No
Rocky Marciano - Yes
Jim Thorpe - No
Jack Johnson - No
A.J. Foyt - No
Richard Petty - No
Honus Wagner - Yes - not sure who he played for
Satchel Paige - Yes
George Mikan - No
Rogers Hornsby - No
Christy Mathewson - No
Walter Johnson - Yes - pitcher - not sure of team
Bobby Jones - No
Bronko Nagurski - No
Josh Gibson - Yes
Georges Vezina - No
Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM
Glenn

I love that she had Mantle with the Red Sox.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Eddie S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Many of these people are known today for reasons completely unrelated to their sports accomplishments. No doubt my wife knows Joe DiMaggio from Mr. Coffee, not what he did for the Yankees. Shoeless Joe from Field of Dreams, etc.
I know that DiMaggio's name recognition is bolstered today among living fans by the Mr. Coffee ads. I also wonder how many people today know him for being married to Marilyn Monroe.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Mantle Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I love that she had Mantle with the Red Sox.
me too!

but hated that she placed pretty much everybody else on the Yankees
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I know that DiMaggio's name recognition is bolstered today among living fans by the Mr. Coffee ads. I also wonder how many people today know him for being married to Marilyn Monroe.
I would say almost no one. If you know who DiMaggio is I would think your point of reference is the Yankees or baseball or one of the songs he's featured in (Joltin' Joe/ Mrs. Robinson). I would think Monroe as your only point of reference is pretty rare.

Last edited by packs; 03-09-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:41 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My guess would be Ali and Ruth would be around 90% and all others wouldn't be half of your estimate.
I agree....if that, in fact. I would bet that less than 25% of current Americans know who Lou Gehrig was....and many of those would reply something like "you mean the disease?"
Old 03-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Mh wߥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
He was also the face on ads for a bank in New York City in the 1980's. I recall seeing it, but was from out of town so the bank name does not come to mind.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep
Old 03-09-2018, 01:25 PM

These 99% recognition figures are crazy. I think the likely number for Ruth and Robinson nationwide are under 90%. There are over 1% of the people in this country who wouldn't recognize their own name.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
These 99% recognition figures are crazy. I think the likely number for Ruth and Robinson nationwide are under 90%. There are over 1% of the people in this country who wouldn't recognize their own name.
I would only recognize my name if it were printed in reverse on a name badge pinned to my shirt and I was looking in a mirror.

nairB (I tried checking with a mirror, and I still don't have a clue know who I am)
Old 03-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I'm sure that is true. Probably 90% of Americans know who Donald Trump is, but surely it's less than 99%. For starters, I have both a son (2) and a grandmother (89) who don't know who he is.