NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Real or fake? Any thoughts...

Too pricey for me, but what do you guys think? Real Ban Johnson?
Nice ball though. Maybe if he cut the price down a few hundred.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-Reach-Off-A...item2559f5dc34
Old 04-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Yes, it is certainly genuine.
But, contrary to the email he posted on the auction page, block lettering was used through the 1923 season.

Here are a few photos of my 1923 Yankees signed ball:
(And, yes, that is Lou Gehrig above Mike McNally on the side panel.)

Old 04-24-2010, 10:55 AM

awsome ball David...I Just picked up a Harridge 31-34 ball to go with my 35-59 ball, and the only OAL ball I need now is the block lettering Johnson ball. Just need to save up .
Old 04-24-2010, 02:43 PM

That ball looks real, but something is not right with it. Why would a ball in that nice of condition not have the Ban Johnson signature on the side? I think it has been professionally cleaned up something because I have owned maybe 50-100 Ban Johnson balls and seen maybe another 300-1000 more in auctions etc. and I have never seen a ball that nice with the Johnson stamp rubbed off. Not implying anything about the seller, it is just very odd.

Rhys
Old 04-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Thats what threw me for a loop was that there was no sig. You knew it had to be a BJ ball because of the OAL stamp. But it looks immaculate...and fishy at the same time.

50-100 BJ balls that you have owned...wow. I have an old one bairly legable. Let me know if you put one on the market.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:15 PM

It is possible that the ball was never stamped. (Each of the stamps--League, weight, Reach, etc. was put on separately, and by hand.)

It doesn't make sense that he cleaned the Johnson stamp away, but didn't damage any others.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 AM

I would just be concerned that there might have been some writing on the side that got cleaned off with the Ban Johnson or something. I suppose it could have been unstamped but it was against league rules to use any baseball without the commissioners stamp on it. It also does not really make much sense that all the other stamps are so bold and dark and the Johnson is just missing.

It doesn't matter really because anyone who is going to spend $1500 on a '09 patent Ban Johnson ball is going to want the signature stamp on there. Even if everything about this ball is legit and it just never got stamped.

Also, I dont own 50-100 Ban Johnson balls right now and most of the ones I owned were signed by someone or a team, maybe only 5-10 unsigned ones and they are rare to find without any writing removed or anything.

Last edited by prewarsports; 04-25-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Quite true.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Now, what would an 09' ball without a BJ stamp on it be worth...certainly not $1500-1700. Maybe closer to 800, 1000 at the most? The thing Im curious and weary about is that there are some repros out there, and I dont want to throw an offer out there if thats a possibility.